Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ellen DeGeneres stands up to Twitter mob, defends appearing with 'friend' George W. Bush

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,095 Times in 59,906 Posts

SJW Ellen DeGeneres stands up to Twitter mob, defends appearing with 'friend' George W. Bush

By Joseph A. Wulfsohn | Fox News

Daytime talk show host Ellen DeGeneres took a stand against the Twitter mob after receiving backlash for appearing at a football game next to former President George W. Bush, who she calls a "friend."

During her monologue on Monday, DeGeneres told the audience that she and Portia de Rossi were invited to a Dallas Cowboys game by Charlotte Jones, daughter of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.

She was seen in the suite sitting next to Bush and former First Lady Laura Bush.

"When we were invited, I was aware that I was going to be surrounded with people from very different views and beliefs. And I'm not talking about politics... I was rooting for the Packers," DeGeneres joked. "So I had to hide my cheese hat in Portia's purse."

However, DeGeneres faced heavy criticism on social media for appearing alongside Bush.

"People were upset," DeGeneres said. "They thought, why is a gay Hollywood liberal sitting next to a conservative Republican president?... A lot of people were mad. And they did what people do when they're mad... they tweet."

The comedian then read a tweet, "Ellen and George Bush together makes me have faith in America again." The audience clapped.

"Here's the thing: I'm friends with George Bush. In fact, I'm friends with a lot of people who don't share the same beliefs that I have," DeGeneres continued. "We're all different and I think that we've forgotten that that's okay that we're all different... but just because I don't agree with someone on everything doesn't mean that I'm not going to be friends with them."

"When I say, 'Be kind to one another,' I don't mean only the people that think the same way that you do. I mean be kind to everyone. Doesn't matter.

DeGeneres concluded by thanking Charlotte and Jerry Jones as well as George and Laura Bush for a "Sunday afternoon that was so fun," but added that they owe her "six dollars for the nachos."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (10-08-2019), Muddy (10-08-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,558 Times in 5,209 Posts
    The world is fucked

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (10-08-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    The world is fucked
    How dare she sit next to a conservative straight white man!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (10-08-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    It is so sad that she has to remind people of what civility is.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Pony (10-08-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (10-08-2019)

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    Eating their own

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The left needs to get its head in. Don't see conservatives complaining about Bush getting cosy with a lesbian

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    The left needs to get its head in. Don't see conservatives complaining about Bush getting cosy with a lesbian
    Well, lesbians dude. Come on...

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (10-08-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Well, lesbians dude. Come on...
    If they're not doing this, not a true leso

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    nothing wrong with being gay as long as both chicks are hot.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Griffin For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (10-09-2019), Pony (10-09-2019), PorkChopSandwiches (10-09-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    nothing wrong with being gay as long as both chicks are hot.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Update Reese Witherspoon and Kristen Bell, Susan Sarandon and Mark Ruffalo at odds over Ellen DeGeneres' plea for civility

By Nate Day | Fox News

Actresses Reese Witherspoon, Susan Sarandon and Kristen Bell are speaking out about Ellen DeGeneres' recent comments on former President George W. Bush — but in very different ways.

This weekend, DeGeneres, 61, took heat on social media for attending a Dallas Cowboys game with Bush, 73. On Tuesday's episode of "The Ellen DeGeneres Show," DeGeneres addressed the backlash.

“I have friends who don’t think the same things that I do," DeGeneres said. "When I say be kind to one another, I don’t mean only the people who think the same way you do, I mean be kind to everyone."

"Thelma & Louise" star Sarandon tweeted a quote from Out Magazine's response to DeGeneres' statements, highlighting a portion that read: “But missing the point entirely, DeGeneres framed the issue as simply a matter of her hanging out with someone with different opinions, not a man repeatedly accused of being a war criminal.”

Sarandon, 73, wasn't the only celebrity to speak out, however. Actresses Witherspoon, 43, and Bell, 39, voiced their opinions in support of DeGeneres. The two are now being called out for backing the "Finding Dory" star.

"Thank you for this important reminder, Ellen!" the "Legally Blonde" star wrote in response to DeGeneres' comments, in a tweet that she apparently deleted later.

One Twitter user commented on Witherspoon's tweet, saying: "The privilege reeks. There are thousands of people in the middle east that don't get to be friends with people with 'different views' because they're dead thanks to him. And he spent his presidency trying to strip away LGBT rights, so nah. This monologue is pure class privilege."

Another wrote, "I have to take issue with this, with all due respect. There's nothing wrong with being friends with people of different beliefs, but there IS something wrong with being friends with someone who has hurt you and your community without remorse or a change,"

Other responses read: "it is a privilege to be able to set aside the real life harm and oppression bc it does not affect you and befriend someone like that" to "Reese no" and "Reese, I 💓 you, but honey, this ain't it."

Meanwhile, Bell posted a side-by-side picture of DeGeneres and Bush on Instagram, saying, "She's my 👑👑👑👑👑👑👑👑👑"

A post shared by on

Several people commented on the post. Among them were people calling for the post to be deleted and pointing out what they called Bell's "privilege."

"Why are celebs using this as an opportunity to let their privilege jump out," one user wrote.

Another said: "He orchestrated an unnecessary war that killed thousands and supported Kavanaugh's confirmation and is anti-gay marriage. Yes it's important to have relationships with people who don't only agree with you, but it is absurd to frame it this way."

Following DeGeneres' remarks, former President Bush said he "appreciated" DeGeneres' remarks about respect.

"President and Mrs. Bush really enjoyed being with Ellen and Portia [de Rossi] and appreciated Ellen’s comments about respecting one another. They respect her," Bush's spokesman, Freddy Ford, told Fox News on Tuesday.

Yet another celeb has jumped into the fray: Mark Ruffalo.

In a tweet, Ruffalo condemned DeGeneres' comments, saying, "...Until George W. Bush is brought to justice for the crimes of the Iraq War ... we can’t even begin to talk about kindness."

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I've said this before many times and I'll say it again... this country needs a culling.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Pony (10-11-2019), Teh One Who Knocks (10-10-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I almost just took a capture of the Kristen Bell Instagram post because who knows if whether she will delete it or not after being shamed for sticking up for Ellen on the issue. Amazing how much blind hatred there is in Hollywood. How come none of them call Obama a war criminal? He used drone strikes to kill more people in the Middle East than W ever did (which I fully supported), but they are strangely silent on that.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (10-11-2019), PorkChopSandwiches (10-10-2019)