#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Drama Robert Downey Jr. responds to Martin Scorsese’s Marvel bashing

By Rob Bailey-Millado - The NY Post

Iron Man doesn’t take punches — he deflects them.

Robert Downey Jr. responded Monday to Martin Scorsese’s bold declaration that Marvel makes “theme parks,” “not cinema,” during a heated appearance on “The Howard Stern Show.”

Stern started by referencing the “huge moneymaker” and asked Downey Jr. if he “still enjoys doing it.”

The “Iron Man” star responded, “I’ll tell you the truth: I didn’t expect [it] to become what it became, and it is this very large, multiheaded Hydra at this point.”

The Oscar nominee — for 1992’s “Chaplin” and 2008’s “Tropic Thunder” — then challenged the legendary filmmaker’s statement.

“I’ve always had other interests, and according to Scorsese, it’s not cinema. I gotta take a look at that, ya know?” he said, shaking his head. “I mean, it plays in theaters.”

Stern pushed back, needling Downey Jr. about what Scorsese meant.

“I appreciate his opinion, because I think it’s like anything — we need all of the different perspectives, so we can come to center and move on,” Downey Jr. said, as Stern attempted and failed to talk over him. “You know this — you’re in therapy! You’re therapized!”

When the iconic shock jock accused Downey Jr. of being too nice, the actor clapped back: “Magnanimous it’s called.”

“Were you insulted?” Stern asked. “I mean, it is cinema to me.”

Again, an apparently agitated Downey Jr. struggled a bit to find his words: “It is, it, it would be like saying Howard Stern isn’t radio. It makes no sense to say it.”

“Was he jealous of the success?” Stern asked.

“Of course not … In his view, and by the way, there’s a lot to be said for how these genre movies — and I was happy to be a part of the problem, if there is one — denigrated the art form [of] cinema,” Downey Jr. said.

“By the way, when you come in like a stomping beast and eliminate the competition in such a demonstrative way, it’s phenomenal.”

That’s when Stern suggested Scorsese, a noted film archivist, might indeed be jealous — and getting old.

“Iron Man” wasn’t having it.

“Do you actually think Martin Scorsese is upset about Marvel movies?” Downey Jr. said before switching his gaze to co-host Robin Quivers, changing the subject — and agreeing to disagree with Stern on a host of topics.

The legendary director of “Mean Streets” and “GoodFellas” — who recently returned to form with the acclaimed “The Irishman” — took his digs at the blockbuster domination of the Marvel Cinematic Universe in a new interview with Empire magazine.

“I don’t see them. I tried, you know? But that’s not cinema,” Scorsese told the magazine. “Honestly, the closest I can think of them, as well made as they are, with actors doing the best they can under the circumstances, is theme parks. It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being.”

Scorsese’s remarks surely left many superhero filmmakers smarting.

“Joker” director Todd Phillips has praised Scorsese classics such as “Taxi Driver” and “The King of Comedy” in his press tour — and even went so far as to bring in “The King of Comedy” star Robert De Niro for a part in “Joker.”

James Gunn, the writer-director of Marvel’s “Guardians of the Galaxy” franchise, took to Twitter to express his disappointment.

“Martin Scorsese is one of my five favorite living filmmakers. I was outraged when people picketed ‘The Last Temptation of Christ’ without having seen the film,” Gunn tweeted. “I’m saddened that he’s now judging my films in the same way. That said, I will always love Scorsese, be grateful for his contribution to cinema, and can’t wait to see ‘The Irishman.'”

“The Irishman” is out on Netflix Nov. 27. The streaming giant announced Monday that it’s also making the unusual move of screening the film from Nov. 1 through Dec. 1 at Broadway’s Belasco Theatre.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts
    Wow, never pegged Scorsese for the bitterly jealous type. Feige will never let him make a Marvel movie now.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Yeah, so they aren't his cup of tea, why put them down?

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Because they're making more money than all of his movies combined. Bitterly jealous.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (10-09-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    You guys are nuts.. Scorsese has an opinion and it's an opinion to be respected. These comic book movies are no where near the level of intellectual story telling and brevity compared to the masterpieces Scorsese creates. Frankly, I'm shocked you guys are so drawn in to this whole comic book made into movie crap.. They are very juvenile. "Jealous".. that's laughable. Even Downey (who was a complete gentleman) says Scorsese isn't jealous..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (10-09-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    He's jealous because comic book movies don't rise to the intellectual level (and I'm holding back on that comment), because they make more money than his movies have.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Bullshit.

You can shit out 6 billion hamburgers at McDonald's or you can go to your local restaurant and have something special to eat.. There's a difference.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    That's complete arrogance. Movies are entertainment. The Marvel comic book movies are good entertainment. If they weren't, people wouldn't spend their hard earned money to go see them and then go back to see them again. You can put all the hoighty toighty intelligent movies out that you want, but at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is if you enjoyed them and the money they make for the studios.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (10-09-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I hear you.. I just think some stories are more intellectually based than others..

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Watch the Captain America series. The First Avenger, The Winter Soldier, and Civil War. The second one, The Winter Soldier, was an awesome story.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Muddy (10-09-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Watch the Captain America series. The First Avenger, The Winter Soldier, and Civil War. The second one, The Winter Soldier, was an awesome story.
    I haven't been drawn to the fantasy type movies here lately.. I have a hard time once the realm of realistic reality is jumped. And CGI... Gawd damn I hate that shit.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    CGI is barely noticeable in this series of films.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (10-09-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    CGI is barely noticeable in this series of films.
    Was just going to say that...in movies with real budgets, you can't tell what's real and what's CGI anymore.

He who laughs, lasts. Noilly Pratt's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 705 Posts
    I think there's room for both. I go to the Marvel movies because they are like a ride - I get that. It's fun to watch and it's good vs evil...I can suspend my belief that they have to be centered in reality.

And then I can go to a foreign film festival and have a movie touch me deeply...and enjoy it on a whole other level. Life is a smorgasbord - sometimes I like fine dining and all the pageantry that goes along with it. And sometimes a Wendy's burger is great.

Signature created way-back-when by Goofy