#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

Notice IE Wins Malware-Blocking Tests

By John E Dunn, Techworld.com

The in-house reputation system used in Internet Explorer 8 and 9 is markedly superior at blocking social-engineering attacks than the Google equivalent used by Chrome, Firefox, Apple's Safari, an independent test by NSS Labs has found.

Rating the browsers against a sample set of European malware URLs over 19 days in April, IE 8 achieved a mean block rate of 90 percent, leaving Chrome 10, Firefox 4 and Safari 5 in the dust on 13 percent each. Opera, which uses technology from antivirus company AVG, came in last on 5 percent.

When assessing IE 9 with application filtering turned on, the results were even more dramatic, taking that version to a mean blocking rate of 100 percent.

Internet Explorer's positive showing appears to be thanks to two embedded technologies; Smartscreen URL Filter, a cloud-based system that checks URLs against a master database. This is present in both IE 8 and 9 and seems to work more or less identically in both.

In addition, IE 9 has added a second system, SmartScreen Application Reputation which on the basis of this test offers browser users a remarkably effective level of download block protection. Chrome, Firefox and Safari all use a rival URL checking system, Google's Safe Browser Feed, which as previous NSS Labs tests have suggested, is now falling some ways behind.

"The significance of Microsoft's new application reputation technology cannot be overstated. Application Reputation is the first attempt by any vendor to create a definitive list of every application on the Internet," the authors conclude.

"Browsers provide a layer of protection against socially-engineered malware, in addition to endpoint protection products; as this report shows, not all are created equal. The overall lower protection offered by Firefox, Safari, and Chrome is concerning."

An extra but important dimension also tested was the 'average response time to block malware', basically the time it took each browser to add a problem site to the block list once it had been fed in to the test by NSS Labs.

Again, IE 9 with Application Reputation enabled gained a perfect score, adding a site without any delay, the only browser to manage such a feat. Interestingly, however, without the Application layer, IE 8 and 9 sank down the table, taking nearly 14 and 16 hours respectively, behind Safari's five hours, Chrome's nearly seven hours, and Firefox's 8 hours.

Block time is worth paying attention to because the longer protection takes to be activated, the longer the window of possible exposure.

The limitation of the report is that it is only measuring one dimension of the threat users face when using browsers, that of attacks where the user can be tricked - 'socially-engineered' in security parlance - into downloading malware. This compares with what are called 'drive-by' attacks that seek to exploit specific vulnerabilities in software and which require no user intervention.

Which is more dangerous is a matter of debate although NSS Labs references a separate study by AVG that found socially-engineered attacks to be the most likely way for malware to find its way on to a user's PC.

A social engineering attack has the advantage that it recruits the user to agree to a download event thereby potentially bypassing Windows controls such as User Access Control (UAC) and even the warnings of antivirus software. A drive-by attack, especially one manipulating a zero-day flaw, can sneak on to the PC without any of these defences being aware but requires more engineering effort to work.

The claim that socially-engineered attacks are the more significant doesn't entirely accord with the admittedly patchy evidence that exists on the subject.

A recent and revealing assessment by Qualys using its Browsercheck tool found that large numbers of browser users routinely run out-of-date plug-ins for interfaces such as Flash Adobe Reader and especially Java. Many of these have significant flaws that can be attacked by drive-by exploits.

It could be that both sides of this coin -- social-engineering attacks and drive-by attacks - are equally perilous but in different ways.

A final qualification is that the test was conducted on Firefox 4, since supplanted by the rapid-development replacement, version 5.0, likewise Google Chrome, which has reached version 13. The URL-filtering systems used by these are, however the same as in the previous versions so would be unlikely to make a difference to their blocking performance.

weapon of mass consumption redred's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,562 Times in 3,632 Posts
    so does any one here use IE?

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    May be time to start

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redred View Post
    so does any one here use IE?
    Yes.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    I use it too sometimes

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    May be time to start
    Not enough free add-ons available.......... i wont be leaving Firefox any time soon

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    IE has been off my list for the last 10 years...and it's going to stay that way

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Interesting I'm a Firefox guy but maybe I should see what the newest IE has to offer

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I use IE on the laptop but firefox on the desk top.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    For me, running Linux on 3 computers here...IE is out of the question!
    BTW, it's only a matter of time before hackers make those tests "inaccurate"
    Last edited by samarchepas; 07-17-2011 at 10:32 PM.

I might be losing it... Softdreamer's Avatar
    behind the 2 way mirror in your bathroom.
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I use IE for pages that I know crash Firefox, that way I dont lose my other 3 windows and 10 tabs just cause one window doesnt like one page.

come back to my place, I'll show you how to drink tequila.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I don't plan to use IE any time soon. I don't have problems with FF.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Been using Chrome for over a year...works perfectly for me.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I haven't tried Chrome yet. One of my nephews has been using it for quite a while. It's just easier to stay with the familiar.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Belle View Post
    I haven't tried Chrome yet. One of my nephews has been using it for quite a while. It's just easier to stay with the familiar.
    It's the EXACT opposite for me! I like to explore and try new things.My parents use it too, easy to use once you get to know it.