Thread: UW 'Hate/Bias Response Symposium' aims to 'challenge straight white college men'

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

SJW UW 'Hate/Bias Response Symposium' aims to 'challenge straight white college men'

Adam Sabes, Mississippi Senior Campus Correspondent - Campus Reform

The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse hosted a Hate/Bias Response Symposium Tuesday and Wednesday, which included a session aimed at "challenging straight white college men."

UW-La Crosse's Research and Resource Center for Campus Climate and the UWL Hate Response Team hosted the two-day Hate/Bias Response Symposium, which featured a range of sessions, such as “Fat is a Social Justice Issue, too,” as well as “Navigating Masculinity through Trans Identity,” and “Got Solidarity? Challenging Straight White College Men to Advocate for Social Justice.

For example, the “Fat is a Social Justice Issue, Too,” focused on the fact that “fatphobia” has always been linked to other oppressed groups, but is often left out from social justice research and activism.

“We fail to acknowledge that fat is a social justice issue, too,” the description stated. “In this presentation, I begin by providing a brief history of the ways fat has been pathologized and medicalized in the United States. I will then discuss some of the ways fat is connected with gender, race, and class in particular and offer some strategies for how we can move forward by engaging in fat activism.”

In addition, the symposium also hosted a session exploring the issue of “Navigating Masculinity through Trans Identity,” where participants discussed the “regulation of gender” through expectations around masculinity “through a narrative of transmasculine identity.”

“This narrative will include examples of gender bias and how this bias evolves over the course of transitioning from female to male. The regulation of masculinity will be explored via group activity along with potential consequences when healthy masculinity is not reinforced,” stated the description.

The symposium also hosted a session on “Challenging Straight White Men to Advocate for Social Justice,” where the panelist described his book “Written especially for straight white male college students and educators” that emphasizes the need for white people to advocate for social justice.

Peter Wood, president of the National Association of Scholars, commented on the event, telling Campus Reform that almost anything can be turned into a “‘social justice’ issue” these days.

“Looked at with the right kind of squint, almost anything can be turned into a 'social justice' issue: fat, residence life, policing, masculinity, Islam, etc,” Wood said. “The ‘campus climate coordinators’ and their fellow activist-administrators need not worry they will run out of monsters under the bed. It is a very big bed with room for an endless nightmare of new monsters. I am confident the conference ended with a generous round of self-appreciation for the important work these folks are doing to keep the Godzilla of dust bunnies at bay.”

The event was hosted in part by the UWL Hate Response Team, which acts similar to a Bias Response Team and responds to bias reports submitted by students. The department states that they do not “infringe on First Amendment rights.”

UW-LaCrosse did not respond to a request for comment from Campus Reform.

Similarly, UC-Boulder hosted a “Body Liberation” workshop where faculty members can learn about “societal weight-based beliefs” and size and weight “through a cultural lens,” as previously reported by Campus Reform.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (12-06-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Outright aggression and hatred toward straight white men. The open hypocrisy is cringe-worthy.

Just further proof that the idea is that a subset of people have decided they are the arbiters of what is "hate", and groups can specifically be called out by race and gender. This aggression and hatred towards a particular race and gender group is then deemed to NOT be hate because they are fighting the REAL hatred as they have defined it.

It's mind numbing stupidity.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (12-06-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    You sound angry and white

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    You sound angry and white
    Well that's ridiculous. I am sitting here on my velvet throne being fanned by migrants who just want a better life while I bark orders to oppressed college students from an expensive university about their complete inability to make a decent fucking latte. My day is sunshine and puppies basking in the glow of historical dominance.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Well that's ridiculous. I am sitting here on my velvet throne being fanned by migrants who just want a better life while I bark orders to oppressed college students from an expensive university about their complete inability to make a decent fucking latte. My day is sunshine and puppies basking in the glow of historical dominance.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (12-06-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks