Thread: Student gov warns peers about ‘very prevalent’ ‘microagressions’ like mispronouncing names

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

SJW Student gov warns peers about ‘very prevalent’ ‘microagressions’ like mispronouncing names

Blair Nelson, Campus Correspondent - Campus Reform

The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign student government recently posted a guide on how to spot “racial microaggressions,” which it claims are a “very prevalent” problem in classrooms.

“Racial Micro-Aggressions are very prevalent, but many aren't able to identify them,” the student government stated in a Facebook post. “Have you experienced racial micro-aggressions on campus, and if so were you able to IDENTIFY and DO something about it?”

The group’s post explains that “a lot of the time racial discrimination in the classroom doesn’t seem as direct but nevertheless still has the same impact on students of color.”

The “racial microaggressions” highlighted in the post include asking classmates “where they’re really from,” uttering “seemingly passive comments” that are “influenced by racial stereotyping,” and “instructors purposely mispronouncing a student’s ethnic name despite being corrected multiple times.”

The same post suggests “racial microaggressions” are influenced by power dynamics, offering ways to identify if one is being discriminated against by somebody who is “in a position of power.”

The student government warns that such situations could lead to students being “afraid” to speak up because of potential grading backlash, feelings of being “powerless,” or being “discouraged to continue” the course.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffin For This Useful Post:

RBP (12-06-2019)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    My Chinese statistics teacher couldn't pronounce my name. I laughed about it. Still do. I never realized I was supposed to be traumatized.

Oh wait. I can't be, I'm not entitled to that.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post

I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    My Chinese statistics teacher couldn't pronounce my name. I laughed about it. Still do. I never realized I was supposed to be traumatized.

Oh wait. I can't be, I'm not entitled to that.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (12-06-2019)