Page 40 of 85 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 ... LastLast

Thread: China Quarantines Millions After Thousands Exposed To Mutating Virus That Has Killed Many

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Coronavirus may be most infectious when symptoms are mildest, small study finds

By Nicoletta Lanese | LiveScience

Editor's note: The study described in this article has now been accepted for publication in the journal Nature. The journal published an unedited version of the manuscript on April 1. This article was originally published on March 11.

People infected with the novel coronavirus shed large quantities of the virus early in their illness and likely become less infectious as the disease wears on, according to a small study.

The research, posted Sunday (March 8) to the preprint database medRxiv, is still preliminary, because it has not yet been peer-reviewed and because it included only nine participants. Still, it may hint at why the new virus spreads so easily: Many people may be at their most infectious when exhibiting only mild, cold-like symptoms.

"This is in stark contrast to SARS," a related disease caused by a different coronavirus, the authors noted. In SARS patients, viral shedding peaked about seven to 10 days into the illness, as the infection spread from the upper respiratory tract into deep lung tissue. In seven patients with COVID-19, the disease caused by the new virus, "peak concentrations were reached before Day 5 and were more than 1,000 times higher" than those seen in SARS patients, the authors wrote.

This peak appeared later in two patients whose infections had progressed into their lungs, sparking the first signs of pneumonia. In these severe cases, viral shedding reached maximum levels around Day 10 or 11. In the mild cases, viral shedding dipped steadily after Day 5, and by Day 10, patients likely weren't contagious anymore, the authors noted.

"Based on the present findings, early discharge with ensuing home isolation could be chosen for patients who are beyond Day 10 of symptoms," provided that swab samples from their throat contain fewer than 100,000 copies of viral genetic material per milliliter, the authors wrote.

"This is a very important contribution to understanding both the natural history of COVID-19 clinical disease as well as the public health implications of viral shedding," Michael Osterholm, director of the University of Minnesota's Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy, told Stat News.

The researchers conducted their analysis by taking swabs from the patients' noses and throats, also examining their blood, urine, stool and sputum — a mixture of saliva and mucus that builds up in the respiratory tract during infection. The team examined each sample for bits of viral genetic material called RNA to determine how much of the virus was present at different stages of the disease.

Researchers tracked the rise and fall of the virus over time. However, viral load can't reveal whether patients remained infectious, as RNA from the virus may be present in human tissue but not functional. To find out who was infectious and when, the researchers isolated samples of the virus throughout the study and attempted to grow them in the lab.

The researchers found that they could grow virus from the throat, nose and sputum samples gathered early in the course of illness, but after Day 8, samples taken from patients with mild cases did not yield any viral growth. That change indicates that those patients had become less infectious. Despite their improvement, they still tested "positive" for the virus, however. The finding may help explain reports from China suggesting that the virus can persist in the body for at least two weeks after COVID-19 symptoms clear up.

The team in the new study could not grow virus from any blood or urine samples collected during the study, nor could they grow virus from stool. The stool analysis was based on 13 samples collected between Day 6 and Day 12 from four patients, as these contained the largest quantities of viral RNA and enabled the researchers to isolate samples. A previous report from China and the World Health Organization suggested that "viable virus" could be recovered from infected people's stool, but it was unclear whether these fragments contributed to disease transmission.

As the new study is based on a select number of relatively mild cases, more research is needed to determine how stool might contribute to COVID-19 transmission, the authors noted.

Notably, the team detected antibodies in each of the patients between Day 6 and Day 12, suggesting that the immune system begins building a defense against the pathogen soon after exposure. Scientists don't yet know whether this rapid immune response appears in most patients, particularly those with more-severe infections.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Someone asked Trump and Pence the other day at the daily Covid-19 presser why the government won't re-open the Obamacare exchanges to let people that don't have health insurance make purchases on the government exchanges so that they can be covered during the pandemic.

Uh, why didn't these people buy insurance during the open enrollment period just a few months ago? Do they not know how insurance works? You buy it BEFORE something happens, not after the fact.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (04-03-2020), KevinD (04-03-2020), Muddy (04-03-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    I keep seeing reference to this 'donut hole' in the US I'd never heard the term, but from what I gathered it's people who make too much for medicaid but not enough to afford (allegedly) private insurance? Is that a real thing from what you guys see?

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    I've never heard that term but Obamacare pushed the price of insurance past what most people can afford.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I've never heard that term but Obamacare pushed the price of insurance past what most people can afford.
    And even if you can afford the 'coverage' the deductibles are so high now you cant use it unless its a major emergency..

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

Griffin (04-03-2020), Pony (04-03-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    And even if you can afford the 'coverage' the deductibles are so high now you cant use it unless its a major emergency..
    Obamacare made insurance available to everyone at a fair price

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Obamacare made insurance available to everyone at a fair price

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

It's right in the official name of the bill that was signed into law: The AFFORDABLE Care Act

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post

It's right in the official name of the bill that was signed into law: The AFFORDABLE Care Act

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    I keep seeing reference to this 'donut hole' in the US I'd never heard the term, but from what I gathered it's people who make too much for medicaid but not enough to afford (allegedly) private insurance? Is that a real thing from what you guys see?
    I've never heard the term either but it pretty much explains my situation.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,923 Times in 6,613 Posts
    I just looked into private insurance. Since my dad was in the Army I can use USAA insurance and its pretty damn affordable. I think I am going to roll up my health, home owners, car and life insurance through them.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to fricnjay For This Useful Post:

RBP (04-03-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    It's a medicare term for when your prescription expenses have maxed out the plan coverage limits but are less then than the amount that kicks into catastrophic coverage. That gap in medicare coverage is the "hole". It was supposed to be phased out last year maybe? I'd have to look. I've not heard that term in any other context.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    It's a medicare term for when your prescription expenses have maxed out the plan coverage limits but are less then than the amount that kicks into catastrophic coverage. That gap in medicare coverage is the "hole". It was supposed to be phased out last year maybe? I'd have to look. I've not heard that term in any other context.
    No, it hasn't gone away. Fortunately, my wife and I haven't gotten any where near that.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to perrhaps For This Useful Post:

RBP (04-03-2020)