Page 12 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 ... LastLast

Thread: China Quarantines Millions After Thousands Exposed To Mutating Virus That Has Killed Many

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,562 Times in 5,212 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    What the hell do you people want Trump to do? He doesn't have a magic fucking wand that he can wave and make this shit disappear. Neither is it his fault that this shit happened to begin with. BLAME THE CHINESE. THEY DID THIS. IT'S THEIR FAULT.

We're doing the best we can with the cases we have to deal with here in our own borders.

Not politicise the issue. Start making sensible preparations for a pandemic

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    Not politicise the issue. Start making sensible preparations for a pandemic
    He's not the one politicizing it. The Democrats are. They're all saying "if it wasn't for Trump" or "it's because of Trump". He's just hitting back at them like he always does. They hit first, he hits back. I can understand how you can miss that if you've not really been paying attention, but that's exactly the way it's always been for the past 3 years. And medical facilities and staff here in the US are on full alert for this thing. There's nothing else we can do but wait and see what happens, advise the public about best health practices, and treat the cases that pop up to the best of our abilities. And that's what we are doing. Labs are working on a vaccine, but it won't be ready for months and it won't account for mutations that might occur between now and then.... just like the flu vaccine. There's nothing more that can be done.

STOP BLAMING TRUMP. IT'S NOT HIS FAULT.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

KevinD (03-01-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    People are going a little nutty... Costco was a zoo like I've never seen before, they're out of flour, rice and TP, saw lysol wipes get put out and snatched up within 90 seconds.
    You're not kidding. It's difficult to find n95 respirators here at a reasonable price, and now the Surgeon General has come out and asked the public to stop buying them because medical professionals need them to treat patients with all kinds of communicable diseases. And further, all of a sudden, everybody and their mother has become a doomsday prepper over night, buying up all kinds of shit. Shelves are empty all over the place. It's ridiculous.
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 03-01-2020 at 01:39 AM.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks

Is that what I was doing? I am so sorry

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    You're not kidding. It's difficult to find n95 respirators here at a reasonable price, and now the Surgeon General has come out and asked the public to stop buying them because medical professionals need them to treat patients with all kinds of communicable diseases. And further, all of a sudden, everybody and their mother has become a doomsday prepper over night, buying up all kinds of shit. Shelves are empty all over the place. It's ridiculous.
    Agreed, it's ridiculous.

You know what's funny though is some local earthquake preparedness government spokesperson here made a point that people are just doing what they've been begging the public to do for years, which is have 72+ hours of supplies on hand for disasters. I guess that's the optimistic way of looking at things

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (03-01-2020)

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trump
    “Well, I don’t think it’s inevitable,” Trump said, contradicting Messonnier and the health officials who spoke after him Wednesday. “It probably will, it possibly will. It could be at a very small level or it could be at a larger level. Whatever happens, we’re totally prepared.”
    When you know nothing about something, shut your mouth, or the world will see you are a fool.
    This has been raging since January, it is now March.
    Sometime during the past week the internationally insular community of the US economy seems to catch drift this might actually be an issue.
    Obviously it isn't Trumps fault, it is nothing to do with him, but a blathering response like that above does little to reassure or calm nerves.
    Overreaction by the public is inevitable.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hikari Kisugi For This Useful Post:

perrhaps (03-01-2020)

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 863 Posts
    He's not the one politicizing it. The Democrats are. They're all saying "if it wasn't for Trump" or "it's because of Trump". He's just hitting back at them like he always does. They hit first, he hits back. I can understand how you can miss that if you've not really been paying attention, but that's exactly the way it's always been for the past 3 years. And medical facilities and staff here in the US are on full alert for this thing. There's nothing else we can do but wait and see what happens, advise the public about best health practices, and treat the cases that pop up to the best of our abilities. And that's what we are doing. Labs are working on a vaccine, but it won't be ready for months and it won't account for mutations that might occur between now and then.... just like the flu vaccine. There's nothing more that can be done.

Nobody here said it's his fault. We criticize him for acting like a five year old and blaming the opposition for creating this potential pandemic as a "hoax". We're just a tad critical for his appointing someone who believes in Creative design, as opposed to evolution, to head a scientific task force. Our noses are a little out-of-joint because he won't even mildly correct Saint Rush, who compares this virus to the common cold. We're mildly perturbed because he's obviously more concerned that Wall Street's reaction to this might jeopardize his reelection (buying on the dip tomorrow Loyal Trumpers? He says to), We think it seems maybe just a trifle unreasonable for his Task Force to forbid the head of the CDC to give any more interviews without the express permission of the Task Force in advance.

And the Democrats aren't blaming Trump any more than the GOP criticized Obama in 2014 for his reaction to the Ebola crisis.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to perrhaps For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (03-02-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    I don't think this virus is the pandemic, I think people's knee jerk reactions are the pandemic.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (03-02-2020), KevinD (03-01-2020), lost in melb. (03-02-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,888 Posts
    Even my wife, who is normally level headed, has bought into the stocking up idea. Smdh. I told her, "That's fine, at least this way we'll have a jumpstart on hurricane season."

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KevinD For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (03-01-2020), Muddy (03-01-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I agree with the last two posts, but actually I think the stocking up would work if you're not allowed out of your house ( the knee-jerk bit)

Let's not go too light though, it's 10 times more deadly than the seasonal flu. what if everyone gets it at once and you can't access the hospital?

You want to avoid this if you can.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    I agree with the last two posts, but actually I think the stocking up would work if you're not allowed out of your house ( the knee-jerk bit)

Let's not go too light though, it's 10 times more deadly than the seasonal flu. what if everyone gets it at once and you can't access the hospital?

You want to avoid this if you can.
    It's better if you stock up year round for all kinds of shit. Hurricanes, pandemics, general shit-hit-the-fan or without-rule-of-law scenarios. It's just a habit you get into. It can be expensive, but if you do get into it, then the worst you have to worry about is rotating supplies out as they expire.

I've read it can be deadlier than the worst case of pneumonia, causing respiratory failure, or it can be as insignificant as the common cold. It depends on the person and how it affects them. But that's true for just about everything, now isn't it? What affects one person doesn't necessarily affect another person in the same way. The thing to do is keep aware of what's going on in your area. If you start feeling bad, then go see your doctor or go to the hospital or a walk-in clinic if you can't get to your doctor. The funny thing about this is that coronaviruses aren't new, it's just that this one particular strain has evolved. Coronaviruses in general are one of the many types of viruses that can cause the common cold in humans. But the standard rules for avoiding this thing applies: Hand washing, not touching your face with dirty hands, keeping your distance from people that appear to be infected with any kind of illness that resembles even a minor respiratory illness (coughing and sneezing), etc. You could wear a mask in public but there's some talking heads that say that it wouldn't have an effect in preventing the transmission of the disease to the wearer.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (03-02-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Oh yeah, don't cough or sneeze on people when you're out and about. Not even in jest. Cover your mouth and nose with your arm if you have to cough and/or sneeze. You don't want to cause a panic. People are acutely irritable at times like these. You don't want to cause a problem.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It's better if you stock up year round for all kinds of shit. Hurricanes, pandemics, general shit-hit-the-fan or without-rule-of-law scenarios. It's just a habit you get into. It can be expensive, but if you do get into it, then the worst you have to worry about is rotating supplies out as they expire.

I really want to be better at this. I'd say I easily have a week's worth of food for 2 people including some MRE's, but mostly canned food and dry goods. I'm decent at buying enough for a smaller emergency, but really terrible at eating it 'first-in-first-out', so I throw a bunch away when I go through my pantry and realize I have beans and rice that was expired in 2014 at the back of the cupboard. I told my wife we should have a meal a week where we try and not buy anything new for it during our weekly shopping trip, and just eat older stuff from the pantry.

It's hard though! Stockpiling is easier than actually managing a stockpile so it's not just going in the trash instead of cycling it properly so that it's economic.
    Last edited by Godfather; 03-02-2020 at 06:09 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    So this is sort of interesting. This is a Harvard study on why denial is worse than panic, and why having an early moment of panic allows for better decision making over the longterm.

It has me thinking because my friends and I in our group chat (more so my buddies than myself) are really on the 'denial' side of things. Not like flat earth denial, just denial in terms of saying "what a joke this isn't even as bad as seasonal flu." Interesting little psychology tidbit to keep in mind.

https://nieman.harvard.edu/wp-conten...emic.aspx.html