Thread: State Farm claims Shannen Doherty using cancer diagnosis to get a payout

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Drama State Farm claims Shannen Doherty using cancer diagnosis to get a payout

By Tamar Lapin - Page Six

State Farm on Wednesday claimed actress Shannen Doherty is just looking for sympathy — and a payout to get her California home repaired — by announcing her terminal stage 4 cancer diagnosis.

The former “Charmed” actress sued State Farm in March 2019 after the insurance giant refused to pay the full amount for repairs on her home, which was damaged in the devastating 2018 California wildfires.

In a filing in Los Angeles federal court on Wednesday, lawyers for State Farm wrote that Doherty plans to “garner sympathy by her contention that State Farm must rebuild her entire house” when she appears at trial.

“Plaintiff improperly claims she is entitled to have her entire home rebuilt at a cost of $2.7 million because she has breast cancer and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease,” the court documents state.

Doherty, 48, on Tuesday revealed her breast cancer had returned, saying her diagnosis was going to become public this week as part of the lawsuit.

“I’d rather people hear it from me. I don’t want it to be twisted, a court document,” she said in an interview with “Good Morning America.”

“I want it to be real and authentic. I want to control the narrative. I want people to know from me.”

In the new filing, State Farm claims Doherty’s house only had smoke damage and not any fire or structural damage.

The insurance company said it’s already paid $1 million for remediation, professional cleaning and for the actress to rent a temporary home.

Doherty’s attorney, Devin McRae, told The Post it was “appalling” that State Farm would claim Doherty only revealed her health condition to garner sympathy.

“Of course cancer and a chronic respiratory ailment are directly relevant to the means and scope of fire and smoke remediation in her home and on her clothes,” McRae said.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts

Who do we believe? A has-been actress that's actually been fighting cancer for years, or an insurance company that hasn't had a trustworthy record for decades?

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,923 Times in 6,613 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post

Who do we believe? A has-been actress that's actually been fighting cancer for years, or an insurance company that hasn't had a trustworthy record for decades?
    And that "has-been" actress has a major reputation for being a Bitch

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fricnjay For This Useful Post:

Godfather (02-07-2020)

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    Damn, they better be right or they will have a HUGE lawsuit

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    A tough line from the insurance company.
    ''Bitch is only cryin' because she dyin'.''
    Yet she is....
    I would suspect they will lose business over this.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Totally spit-balling but I'd lean towards betting she's in the wrong here TBH. The company wouldn't take a risk with this publicly if not, and I've seen first hand way too many opportunists try and turn small claims into massive ones to get their house reno'd on our dime, while staying at luxury hotels longer than even remotely necessary over the past decade... but I'll save my breath ranting more because there aren't really enough details here
    Last edited by Godfather; 02-07-2020 at 07:43 AM.