Thread: 24-year-old Russian woman dead after dropping charging iPhone into bathwater

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Darwin Award 24-year-old Russian woman dead after dropping charging iPhone into bathwater

By Yaron Steinbuch - New York Post

A 24-year-old Russian woman was electrocuted when her charging iPhone fell into the water as she was taking a bath, according to a report.

Olesya Semenova’s lifeless body was found by her roommate in their apartment in Arkhangelsk, East2West News reported.

“I screamed, shook her, but she was pale, did not breathe and showed no signs of life,” Daria told the emergency operator. “I was really scared. When I touched her, I got an electric shock.”

She added that she found Semenova’s iPhone 8 in the water — still charging.

Paramedics confirmed that Semenova — who worked in a clothing store — had died when the phone fell into the tub while plugged into an outlet.

“The tragedy once again reminds us that water and an electrical appliance connected to the mains are incompatible,” the Russian emergencies ministry said in a warning after the incident, the latest of a number of such fatalities in the country.

“The same applies to any mobile device. If you drown a smartphone, the worst thing is its failure,” it added. “But when it is connected to the network, we see what the consequences are.”

In August, a 15-year-old schoolgirl identified as Anna K died in Moscow after suffering an electric shock in her bath.

Last year, renowned poker star Liliya Novikova also was electrocuted in her bathroom.

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,822 Times in 3,934 Posts
    shouldnt the transformer in the charger limit the amount of current that's being passed

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FBD View Post
    shouldnt the transformer in the charger limit the amount of current that's being passed
    Ya something is off here. An old iPhone 8 charges at 5 volts and 2 amps max. Maybe charging with an extension cord and no GFCI outlets (because Russia) would explain it. That would make a lot more sense.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

FBD (12-12-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    I was just thinking about how big of an idiot that guy is for balancing the GFCI on the edge of the tub when he gets a jolt and the whole thing fell in the water!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

FBD (12-12-2020), KevinD (12-12-2020)