Thread: NYC subway thief thanks Democrats after his 139th arrest, release: 'Bail reform, it’s lit!'

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,095 Times in 59,906 Posts

Hype NYC subway thief thanks Democrats after his 139th arrest, release: 'Bail reform, it’s lit!'

By Danielle Wallace | Fox News

A New York City man who’s now been arrested 139 times thanked Democrats for guaranteeing his immediate release despite repeatedly swiping hundreds of dollars from unsuspecting subway commuters since the state’s new bail reform law went into effect Jan. 1.

Charles Barry, 56, has been arrested six times since the start of this year. He’s been released each time without having to post bail under New York’s new bail reform law since his alleged offenses were nonviolent, the New York Daily News reported. In the past, Barry’s served several stints in state prison and has a lengthy record, including six felonies, 87 misdemeanors and 21 missed court hearings, the newspaper reported, citing court records.

“Bail reform, it’s lit!” Barry yelled to reporters Thursday outside the NYPD Transit District 1 headquarters in the Columbus Circle station before officers transported him to Manhattan Central Booking. “It’s the Democrats! The Democrats know me and the Republicans fear me. You can’t touch me! I can’t be stopped!”

After his most recent arrest Thursday, Barry was held in custody for about 36 hours until his Saturday morning arraignment hearing in his Manhattan Criminal Court. He was then released before trial without paying bail. He had two warrants out for his arrest for missing court dates related to past alleged subway theft, including one instance in January when he allegedly snatched a $50 bill out of a woman’s hand while she was trying to buy a Metro card at a Bryant Park station machine.

Officers arrested him Thursday after he was spotted jumping a subway turnstile in Penn Station. Barry, a career criminal, has repeatedly duped subway-goers by dressing as MTA officials and robbing people after offering to help them buy their tickets, police said.

“I’m famous! I take $200, $300 a day of your money, cr----r! You can’t stop me!” Barry shouted to reporters. “It’s a great thing. It’s a beautiful thing. They punk’ed people out for bullsh-- crimes.”

A high-ranking official in the New York City Police Department said because of the new bail reform law, offenders like Barry are released and then repeat the same crimes because judges cannot order them to be held in jail before trial. Sometimes, what begins as a nonviolent crime often turns violent if a robbery goes awry, he added.

“At least before, he’d be remanded and be behind bars for a couple of days. He wouldn’t be able to victimize people,” Assistant Chief Gerald Dieckmann, the No. 2 officer in the NYPD’s Transit Bureau, told the New York Daily News. “When someone doesn’t pay them or give them the money, it’ll turn into a robbery, a slashing an assault.”

But Legal Aid Society, which represents Barry, argued the NYPD is using a few cases to spread fear over the new bail reform law.

“Mr. Barry’s case underscores the need for economic stability and meaningful social services, not a need to roll back bail reform,” the society said in a statement. “Locking up Mr. Barry on unaffordable bail or worse, remanding without bail, ultimately does nothing to protect the public and fails entirely to address his actual needs.”

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Frankly I think once you reach 50 you should get a noose around the neck, colour creed sex sexuality of any type.
    Waste to society, in every society,

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hikari Kisugi For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (02-17-2020), Teh One Who Knocks (02-17-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikari Kisugi View Post
    Frankly I think once you reach 50 you should get a noose around the neck, colour creed sex sexuality of any type.
    Waste to society, in every society,

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,558 Times in 5,209 Posts
    Petty crime

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Update Convict Who Thanked New York Democrats for Abolishing Bail Arrested for 140th Time

By John Binder - Breitbart

A convicted felon who thanked New York Democrats this week for eliminating bail for a series of crimes deemed “non-violent” was arrested for the 140th time, just days after he was released from New York City Police Department (NYPD) custody.

Career criminal Charles Barry, 56-years-old, was arrested Tuesday evening by NYPD for allegedly scamming a Belgian tourist on the New York City subway, provoking his 140th arrest, as the New York Daily News noted.

Barry is likely to be released from jail almost immediately, yet again, thanks to New York’s new bail reform — signed into law by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) — that frees suspects back into the public almost immediately following their arrest. NYPD told the Daily News that Barry will be charged with fraudulent accosting, a charge where he will pay no bail to get out of jail.

The crimes for which bail has been eliminated include second-degree manslaughter, aggravated vehicular assault, third-degree assault, promoting an obscene sexual performance by a child, criminally negligent homicide, or aggravated vehicular homicide.

Barry had just been arrested for the 139th time earlier this week, as Breitbart News reported, and thanked elected Democrats in New York for passing the bail reform law that allows him to be released every time he is arrested for a crime considered “non-violent.”

“I’m famous! I take $200, $300 a day of your money, cracker! You can’t stop me!” Barry told a Daily News reporter. “Bail reform, it’s lit! It’s the Democrats! The Democrats know me and the Republicans fear me. You can’t touch me! I can’t be stopped!”

“It’s a great thing. It’s a beautiful thing,” Barry said of the Democrats’ bail reform law. “They punk’d people out for bullshit crimes.”

Thus far, Barry has been arrested a total of seven times in New York City since Cuomo signed the bail reform law. Each time, he was almost immediately released from jail.

Barry’s criminal record includes six felony convictions, 87 misdemeanor convictions, and 21 skipped court hearings. Barry’s record also includes spending six criminal sentences in state prison, including stints for drug dealing and grand larceny.

In another case, six accused drug dealers — three of whom are illegal aliens — were freed by New York after their arrangement following their arrests for allegedly operating a $7 million heroin-fentanyl packaging ring in the Bronx. Likewise, an illegal alien now accused of murdering a 92-year-old elderly woman in Queens, New York, was set free from jail thanks to the bail reform law months before the alleged murder.

The bail reform law allows accused criminals to inspect their own crime scenes with their attorneys and mandates that the prosecution hand over all the names of witnesses set to testify against a defendant within two weeks of their arrest.

That specific provision has already been blamed for the murder of a 36-year-old witness who was expected to testify against MS-13 gang members in a criminal trial. The murder occurred after the witness’s name was handed over to attorneys representing the accused.