Thread: 'Skull Breaker Challenge' going viral on TikTok is dangerous, doctors warn

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

Stupid 'Skull Breaker Challenge' going viral on TikTok is dangerous, doctors warn

By Gerren Keith Gaynor | Fox News

A new viral online trend called the “Skull Breaker Challenge” is so dangerous that medical experts are warning teens to resist the urge.

The challenge originated in Spain after two students recorded themselves on TikTok performing the stunt.

It involves three participants standing next to each in a row before jumping straight up. While the middle person is in the air, however, the other two individuals on each end kick inward to knock the middle person off balance and subsequently hit his or her head when they fall on their back on the ground.

Since the original video went viral, other daring teens have replicated the risky act.

But doctors and parents are now sounding the alarm on the “Skull Breaker Challenge” for obvious reasons.

Arizona mother Valerie Hodson took to Facebook on Feb. 8 to share harrowing images of her son, who was a victim of the “malicious cruel viral prank.” Hodson said her son was left with a head injury, stitches in his face and severe cuts in his mouth.

“He landed hard flat on his back and head, as he struggled to get up he lost consciousness, he fell forward landing on his face,” the mom explained. “The school monitor ran to his side, all the while the 2 boys were snickering and laughing as his stiff unconscious body lay on the asphalt.”

“I really contemplated posting this, but I feel there needs to be awareness,” she added.

Days later, a mother in Alabama posted a similar warning to the Facebook community. Teri Wimmer Smith said her son, Parker, suffered two broken bones in his wrist and would have surgery after he, too, was pranked.

“Parents teach your kids that this crap is dangerous,” Smith wrote.

Dr. Nathan Richards, a physician who specializes in internal medicine and pediatrics at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, said the challenge is potentially fatal.

“The 'Skull Breaker Challenge' is an emerging prank being propagated on social media that results in forceful trauma to the head and neck area,” Richards told Yahoo! Lifestyle.

“It can be associated with a variety of serious and even life-threatening injuries including, but not limited to, bruising, hematoma, skull fracture, neck strain, neck fracture, concussion and long-term complications of concussion, bleeding in or around the brain, loss of consciousness, paralysis and death," he said.

He added: “Although it can seem like a harmless prank to children and adolescents, they should be educated on the potentially serious consequences of doing the [challenge].”

Psychologist Sabrina Sykes, Ph.D., pointed out in a blog post that viral challenges offer teens “instant popularity among peers in the form of ‘likes’ and ‘followers,’ providing peer acceptance, buoying the teen’s self-concept and, therefore, enhancing the draw to participate in these challenges.”

“Parents should familiarize themselves with social media platforms and engage their teen in conversations about online challenges,” Sykes wrote.

She added: “Remember that while teens continue to grow and navigate social relationships, through these conversations parents can foster the development of thoughtful and rational thinking skills, while also maintaining connection.”

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    I'm gonna start the "Go Fuck Yourself" challenge: Whenever somebody comes up with an idiotic idea for a challenge, you say "go fuck yourself" and walk away.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Muddy (02-20-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

NJ teenagers charged in 'skull breaker' challenge case that left 13-year-old with a concussion

By Nick Givas | Fox News

Two New Jersey minors were charged with third-degree aggravated assault and third-degree endangering an injured victim on Monday for their role in a "skull breaker challenge" TikTok video.

The viral prank involves two people getting a third to leap into the air, and then doing their best to kick the person’s feet out from under them, while someone films it.

The two unnamed minors who were charged knocked the victim off-balance last month, which resulted in a concussion, a seizure and a closed-head injury, according to Camden County Prosecutors.

In a press release, Acting Camden County Prosecutor Jill S. Mayer asked parents to talk to their children about the dangers associated with making such videos.

"Prosecutor Jill S. Mayer asks parents to please talk to their children about the potential consequences when you participate in a 'challenge' or online trend," the request read. "While the challenges may seem funny or get views on social media platforms, they can have serious and long-lasting health consequences.

It added, "By having this talk with your kids, we hope to prevent future injuries and raise awareness about the real danger of some of these online trends."

This isn't the first time a teenager has made headlines because of their involvement in the online trend.

An Arkansas teen at Southeast Arkansas Preparatory High School sustained a concussion last week when his friends decided to pull the prank on him.

“They said, 'All you got to do is jump,'” Ke’Avion Hearn told KARK. “I jumped, they kind of kicked me out under my legs so I can’t land. All I remember is being on the floor.”

He was taken to an area hospital where he was treated for a concussion. His mother, Kimberly Hearn, says the situation could have been worse for her son, who previously underwent several surgeries and chemotherapy for a brain tumor, KARK reported.

An Arizona mother also shared her story earlier this month after her young son was left with serious head and facial injuries.

“He landed hard flat on his back and head, as he struggled to get up he lost consciousness, he fell forward landing on his face,” the mom explained. “The school monitor ran to his side, all the while the 2 boys were snickering and laughing as his stiff unconscious body lay on the asphalt.”

“I really contemplated posting this, but I feel there needs to be awareness,” she added.