Thread: Tennessee executes Nicholas Sutton, killer of fellow inmate in 1985 after slaying 3 in 1979

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Justice Tennessee executes Nicholas Sutton, killer of fellow inmate in 1985 after slaying 3 in 1979

By Jack Durschlag | Fox News

Convicted murderer Nicholas Todd Sutton was executed in Tennessee’s electric chair Thursday night, marking the fifth time the state has used that method of execution since 2018, according to reports.

Sutton -- who was sentenced to death in 1986 for killing a fellow inmate a year earlier, after being convicted of three other murders in 1979 -- was pronounced dead at 7:26 p.m. CST at the Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville, according to the Tennessee Department of Correction.

Witnesses said Sutton looked forward to his execution with a solemn expression just prior to his death, The Tennessean of Nashville reported.

“I’m just grateful to be a servant of God, and I’m looking forward to being in his presence. And I thank you,” Sutton reportedly said in his final statement.

In addition, Sutton thanked his wife and his family “for their love and support as they tried so very hard to save my life," the newspaper reported.

Sutton was initially convicted of killing three people in 1979, including his grandmother Dorothy Sutton, his high school friend John Large and Charles Almon. However, he was sentenced to death for his involvement in the fatal stabbing of fellow inmate Carl Estep in 1985.

In a statement read by a Department of Correction official prior to the execution, Large's sister Amy Large Cook expressed relief.

“At least that chapter will be over," she said.

"John was denied the opportunity to live a full life with a family of his own," Cook’s statement said. "He suffered a terrible and horrific death, and for that I will never forgive Mr. Sutton."

Sutton was originally scheduled to be executed by the state in 2015, the report said. However, legal delays blocked that date.

Sutton's attorneys had sought intervention from either the courts or Gov. Bill Lee to delay or commute the execution. They pointed to what they claimed were issues in the trial that put him on death row as well as his remarkable transformation in prison, where correction officers said he had saved multiple lives.

Lee was not swayed and declined Sutton's clemency application earlier this week, The Tennessean reported. The U.S. Supreme Court also denied a request for a stay minutes before he was put to death.

'Sutton signature'

Sutton’s killing spree began when he was 18 and led to investigators recognizing what they labeled the “Sutton signature,” which included placing bodies wrapped in plastic or bound in chains and weighted with cinder blocks.

He killed his childhood friend Large and Almon, a Knoxville contractor before targeting his grandmother, who adopted him after a childhood of abuse, neglect and addiction, the newspaper reported.

Sutton knocked her unconscious with a piece of firewood, wrapped her in a blanket and trash bags, chained her to a cinder block and threw her alive into the Nolichucky River in Hamblen County. An autopsy found she drowned in the icy waters.

Following his conviction on first-degree murder charges in his grandmother’s killing, Sutton eventually led authorities to Large's body and sentenced him to life in prison. He'd killed Large, 19, on a trip to Mount Sterling, N.C., and buried his body in a shallow grave on property that belonged to Sutton's aunt.

On Jan. 5, 1985, Sutton helped stab Carl Isaac Estep, a convicted child rapist from Knoxville, more than three dozen times at Morgan County Regional Correctional Facility, resulting in a jury sentencing him to death.

Sutton never disputed his role in four killings, but his lawyers said a history of altruism behind bars and other mitigating factors showed he deserved mercy, The Tennessean reported.

Inadequate trial representation had blunted Sutton's opportunities to avoid the death penalty, they explained. They added "pervasive childhood trauma" had warped his brain.

In their application, his lawyers said his father "was a violent, abusive and unstable man who suffered from severe mental illness, struggled with substance abuse and was repeatedly institutionalized."

Sutton started taking illicit drugs with his father by 12, his lawyers wrote, beginning a lifelong addiction, the newspaper reported.

In addition, Sutton's lawyer’s application said he had "gone from a life-taker to a life-saver" after becoming sober in prison.

His clemency application cited accounts from three prison officers who said Sutton stepped in to save their lives when he didn't have to, twice stepping between staff and angry inmates to diffuse potentially lethal conflicts.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    So on a scale of 0 to 10 how much of this therapy was rehabilitation?

Junior Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I had no idea that the electric chair was still legal.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeyPeyRyRy View Post

that's a really good point. I didn't notice that distinction. Isn't it meant to be quite painful?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PeyPeyRyRy View Post

Almost every state that has the death penalty has a "back up" form of execution, especially with all the legal challenges towards lethal injection and the trouble with sourcing the drugs for it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    that's a really good point. I didn't notice that distinction. Isn't it meant to be quite painful?
    The more painful, the better. The people being executed have it far better (in most cases) than their victims did.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    The more painful, the better. The people being executed have it far better (in most cases) than their victims did.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts
    Personally, I believe one or two bullets to the back of the head could do the job effectively. And ammo's cheap. Why waste time and resources with that other shit?

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Personally, I believe one or two bullets to the back of the head could do the job effectively. And ammo's cheap. Why waste time and resources with that other shit?
    Why do you think they don't do that?

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Why do you think they don't do that?
    Because of the Amendment against "cruel and unusual punishment" in the Constitution.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (02-22-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    What's so cruel and unusual about it? Sure, it's dispassionate, but the only way you can fuck it up is by handing the gun to somebody with severe vision problems or loading duds in the chambers/magazines.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    What's so cruel and unusual about it? Sure, it's dispassionate, but the only way you can fuck it up is by handing the gun to somebody with severe vision problems or loading duds in the chambers/magazines.
    Why not just execute on the spot in the courtroom. Saves transportation and all that jazz

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Why not just execute on the spot in the courtroom. Saves transportation and all that jazz
    Don't be like that. One way or another, the condemned is going to meet their end. The way I'm suggesting is no worse than another. It may seem brutal and ruthless, but there are far worse ways to die. It would be much easier than say going out blindfolded in front of a firing squad and the one shooter with the actual bullet misses the mark. Or a lethal injection where the proportions weren't precise so that it would cause a massive amount of severe pain and anguish. Or an electric chair snafu where the charge was sent dry (see The Green Mile for reference). Or a gallows hanging with a too short rope. My suggestion would be over quick and it would be relatively painless comparatively speaking.

There's a reason why these people are on death row to begin with.