Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Guns and related topics

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    Well I knew it was a pun and I would get gut-checked for it, so I tried to beat everyone to the punch..
    I would have applauded the pun. Still wanted to. But there are rules, motherfucker.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Muddy (03-27-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    3.6" barrel. Tiny. But for carry so... looks like $400 range.
    They have a full size version as well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

RBP (03-27-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    What's the difference between a 9mm and a 9mm Luger?

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts
    I have two Smith and Wesson M&P 9mms (full size and compact). I pretty much keep the compact on or around me at all times.

I also have a Ruger AR-556 (AR-15), and a Mossberg 500 12-gauge shotgun. My father left me a Mann pocket pistol in 25 acp when he died, but I've never fired it. It's an antique from 1922.

Before the year's out I'll probably pick up a Palmetto State Armory AR-10 in 308.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

RBP (03-27-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    What's the difference between a 9mm and a 9mm Luger?
    Nothing. They're the same thing.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

RBP (03-27-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    I have two Smith and Wesson M&P 9mms (full size and compact). I pretty much keep the compact on or around me at all times.

I also have a Ruger AR-556 (AR-15), and a Mossberg 500 12-gauge shotgun. My father left me a Mann pocket pistol in 25 acp when he died, but I've never fired it. It's an antique from 1922.

Before the year's out I'll probably pick up a Palmetto State Armory AR-10 in 308.
    The S&W 9mm retails at ~$400 looks like?

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    I just have a couple 22's
    Ruger 22 Takedown with an aftermarket stock and a Ruger SR22

Sooner or later I'd like a small carry pistol. Don't know what yet.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (03-27-2020), RBP (03-27-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post

Mossberg 500 12-ga is exactly what I have used to take down both deer. exact same gun my buddy used for his first deer when he was 13. i really have liked that weapon personally

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deebakes For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (03-27-2020), RBP (03-27-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The S&W 9mm retails at ~$400 looks like?
    I got mine (Gen 1) for around $450 at a local gun store back in '09. I don't know what they're going for now. My compact was a little more expensive, maybe by $50 or so. I got that at a gun store too.

Prices will be higher because of increased demand, and prices will be higher at a gun store rather than what you're seeing online regardless of demand. They have costs to cover. The price will be higher in your state as well. I don't know how Illinois works, but if you buy it online and have it shipped to an FFL (if you can legally), then you could save money, but your FFL will probably be a gun store and they might give you the stink eye if you're buying something online that they have in stock. I would advise you to at the very least buy your first firearm at a gun store and talk to the people behind the counter. They'll know what they're talking about and they could help you make a decision.

It's also advisable to go to a store and hold several to see how the gun feels in your hand as well. There's no sense in buying something that you're not comfortable holding. I can't stand Springfield Armory grips, and I came to that determination before I knew what a shit company they were.

It might be best for you to wait until everything blows over and everything settles down. Shelves will be restocked, prices will be lower, the rush will have died down. I understand you don't feel safe, but you're gonna be paying out the ass, if what you're looking at is actually in stock.

Also something to think about: It looks like you're thinking of capacity and/or barrel length? Does Illinois have a magazine capacity limit? For a pistol, barrel length ain't gonna make a damn bit of difference. You're not shooting 100 yards with a pistol. You're gonna be considerably closer, especially if you get into an altercation. Barrel length makes a difference when talking about rifles. What I'm trying to say is that there's no shame in getting a compact, or a subcompact even. If you need more than 2 or 3 shots to resolve a situation, then you're pretty much screwed anyway.
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 03-27-2020 at 03:27 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

RBP (03-27-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    I just have a couple 22's
    Ruger 22 Takedown with an aftermarket stock and a Ruger SR22

Sooner or later I'd like a small carry pistol. Don't know what yet.

Those things are really cool.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    I have a P90DC. Same gun but the 90 is 45ACP. That 2 tone in the pic looks just mine. The DC in mine stands for "decocker" which allows you to safely lower the hammer with a switch instead of trying to lower it with your thumb while squeezing the trigger.
    I prefer a full frame gun over compacts, the size and weight mitigates recoil and gives you more control over follow up shots. I really like the double-action/single-action of the P90DC, but the 1911 will always have a special place in my heart.
    I have looked hard at the Canik TP9DA for the duel function trigger.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffin For This Useful Post:

RBP (03-27-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Back to your original question RBP, you can't go wrong with a Glock. I have never looked to get one, not that I have anything against them just never wanted one.
    There are several valid reasons to get one though. Magazines in various capacities are readily available and cheaper than most other brands.
    The after market has a plethora of mags and other parts making them easily customizable.
    9mm is by far the most popular handgun caliber out there so ammo is also easy to get (not to mention is most likely what you can separate from your opponent as he cools down).

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I have one of these readily available in my dresser top drawer. For safety reasons I don't keep it chambered. If you've never fired one, there's a tab at the trigger you have to push up to rack the first round so children won't know what to do. As an added benefit I think the sound of a 12 gauge being racked is a great deterrent to would be robbers.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffin For This Useful Post:

Muddy (03-27-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I have a KAHR ST9 in my nightstand, the wife has a CW9 in hers. Most of the extra mags are for mine because they will work in either pistol.
    Kahrs are double action only so have a pretty heavy trigger pull, once you get used to that they are excellent weapons.
    She actually prefers the feel of the larger one which is OK with me since I only need a pistol to get me to the rifles in the safe.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I have a P90DC. Same gun but the 90 is 45ACP. That 2 tone in the pic looks just mine. The DC in mine stands for "decocker" which allows you to safely lower the hammer with a switch instead of trying to lower it with your thumb while squeezing the trigger.
    I prefer a full frame gun over compacts, the size and weight mitigates recoil and gives you more control over follow up shots. I really like the double-action/single-action of the P90DC, but the 1911 will always have a special place in my heart.
    I have looked hard at the Canik TP9DA for the duel function trigger.
    I have the DC as well.. Every time use that thing I grit my teeth and turn my head.. I also changed my grips out to Hogue...