Page 42 of 70 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 ... LastLast

Thread: The societal impacts of COVID-19

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,561 Times in 5,212 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Monk View Post
    No comparison. And I mean no disrespect to people back then, but life was cheap. Medical, technology and communication development was staggeringly rudimentary compared to now. And it was on the back of world war 1 too. AND it disproportionally killed younger people.

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    I'm sorry but all I can say is:-

FUCK ME!!
    Why is it that you are the only person in the world that believes everything is wrong because it does not fit fit your agenda??
    Because your sheltered life isnt exposing you to all of the people that think like I do? My agenda is whatever the truth is, and when I'm fed obvious bullshit stories that I wouldnt believe for a second, why I'm just going to have to take a look at the range of facts and come to a conclusion for myself. I did it with global warming, I did it with 911, I did it with the trump steal, and I'm doing it again with this obvious hoax pandemic. Since only authority figures may convince you of things, that means I'm unable to convince you of anything no matter how much information I show you that the test isnt testing for covid and therefore all these numbers are entirely skewed.

An interesting note is that when you've got a close eye on it, a lot of people really do die from the flu, and we get this shit pretty much every year.

I do not accept the depressions in all the other categories as acceptable to count as covid deaths.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Coronavirus will knock more than a year off average US life expectancy, study finds

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0114163958.htm

New article on the above:

The coronavirus pandemic is not only having an immediate impact in terms of the deaths of thousands of Americans, it's also taking more than a year off the average US life expectancy.
    A new study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences projects that Covid-19 will reduce US life expectancy in 2020 by 1.13 years, with a disproportionate number of deaths occurring among Black and Latino populations. When combined with provisional estimates of US death rates for the first half of the year, the data show a clear rise in the mortality rate as the pandemic took hold of the nation.

Covid-19 disproportionately affecting minorities

"Estimated reductions for the Black and Latino populations are three to four times that for Whites. Consequently, Covid-19 is expected to reverse over 10 years of progress made in closing the Black−White gap in life expectancy and reduce the previous Latino mortality advantage by over 70%," according to the researchers of the study, Theresa Andrasfay of the University of Southern California and Noreen Goldman of Princeton University's Office of Population Research.

"Black and Latino Americans have experienced a disproportionate burden of Covid-19 morbidity and mortality, reflecting persistent structural inequalities that increase risk of exposure to Covid-19 and mortality risk for those infected," the study added.

Prior to the pandemic, the US had been making steady progress in terms of life expectancy although it had slowed down in recent years.
    Life expectancy increased by nearly 10 years over the last half century -- from 69.9 years in 1959, to 78.9 years in 2016. After 2010, life expectancy plateaued and in 2014 it began reversing, dropping for three consecutive years -- from 78.9 years in 2014, to 78.6 in 2017. Drug overdoses, suicides, alcohol-related illnesses and obesity were largely to blame for this.
    But the pandemic has set back all that progress, and also widened the gap between Black−White life expectancy.

"The Black and Latino populations are estimated to experience declines in life expectancy at birth of 2.10 and 3.05 years, respectively, both of which are several times the 0.68-year reduction for Whites. These projections imply an increase of nearly 40% in the Black−White life expectancy gap, from 3.6 years to over 5 years, thereby eliminating progress made in reducing this differential since 2006," the study added.

DC: US mortality rate rose significantly in second quarter
    New data from the National Center for Health Statistics suggests that Covid-19 caused a significant jump in mortality in the US.
    The age-adjusted all-cause mortality rate was 769 per 100,000 in the first quarter of 2020 and rose to 840 in the second quarter of the year. Comparatively, the death rate for the second quarter of 2019 was 702 per 100,000, the NCHS said.

While the report shows mortality rose significantly in 2020, it provides an incomplete snapshot of the pandemic since data for only the first two quarters are currently available.
    Last week, CDC statisticians said Covid-19 was likely the third leading cause of death in 2020. They estimated there were between 316,252 and 431,792 excess deaths in all of 2020.
    Heart disease is the top killer and cancer is the second leading cause of death in the US.

These estimates are based on all death records received and processed by NCHS as of November 27, 2020.

A multi-year effect

Andrasfay and Goldman's study used Census Bureau data and data on actual and projected deaths from the pandemic of the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation and the National Center for Health Statistics. They also used various models and estimates for mortality rates.

"Our medium estimate indicates a reduction in US life expectancy at birth of 1.13 years to 77.48 years, lower than any year since 2003," they said.
    "This impact is about 10 times as large as the worrisome annual decreases several years ago that were attributed largely to drug overdoses, other external causes, and respiratory and cardiovascular diseases," the study added.
    The US is already behind other wealthy countries in terms of life expectancy and the pandemic will worsen it.
    "The US reduction in 2020 life expectancy is projected to exceed that of most other high-income countries, indicating that the United States -- which already had a life expectancy below that of all other high-income developed nations prior to the pandemic -- will see its life expectancy fall even farther behind its peers," the study said.
    The effects of the pandemic are expected to last well beyond 2020.
    "Some reduction in life expectancy may persist beyond 2020 because of continued Covid-19 mortality and long-term health, social, and economic impacts of the pandemic," the study added.

Maggie Fox and Jessica Firger contributed to this report.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (01-16-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,815 Times in 6,371 Posts
    One for Mr FBD that should really put a hole in his boat.

The Spanish Flu is believed to have originated in the USA - it was given the misnomer "Spanish" because of politics following WWI and because Spain was a neutral country.
    No refuting this Mr FBD - you've decided to ignore this maybe :

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    No refuting this Mr FBD - you've decided to ignore this maybe :
    more like not even rising to the level of worth responding to....what point are you trying to make with it? that covid19 should be called something else because precursors were developed at ft detrick before the wuhan lab was built and they created this other flu variant that's out there that we're not testing for?

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    mRNA Technology Gave Us the First COVID-19 Vaccines. It Could Also Upend the Drug Industry
    https://time.com/5927342/mrna-covid-vaccine/

Some positive societal news for a change.

mRNA cancer therapies have been puttering along for many years but with tiny budgets. The massive funding and global efforts and collaboration on a covid vaccine should give a massive boost to this type of therapy. Hopefully we'll see new cancer and other mRNA therapies emerge rapidly over the next several years. I suppose in a way it's like the technological advances you see from wars, where there's a world wide effort to push new technology.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (01-18-2021), RBP (01-18-2021)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

Lifestyle Sexually frustrated: NYC ‘sex house’ residents moan about orgy-killing COVID

By Todd Farley - New York Post

After 10 months of social distancing, the residents of Brooklyn’s communal “sex houses” are frustrated, to say the least.

“I’d give my left testicle to go to an orgy,” said Kenneth Play, co-founder of Hacienda Villa.

Play is one of more than 30 residents, ranging from ages 20-45, who live in the three Bushwick houses (the Lodge, Villa and Tower) operated by the Hacienda sex club.

Along with the residents, the club has more than 700 members. Before the pandemic, the roommates (who have their own bedrooms but share a kitchen, living room and bathrooms) hosted bacchanals at the Villa once or twice a month. Hundreds of Hacienda members would flirt, soak nude in the backyard hot tub or descend to the mood-lit basement to get it on.

In 2019, the club hosted 19 “play parties” — orgies — as well as 45 other events. In 2020, there were only five before the pandemic.

“Sexual isolation was difficult to grapple with,” said Violet, a resident and party planner who, like others, asked to withhold her last name. “We couldn’t meet new people or feel desired the same, so there was definitely an upsurge in my own self-pleasure routine.”

Maybe no one suffered more than Play: “In 2019 I had about 100 lovers. But for 2020 the number’s more like five.”

The three houses have their own rules. Sex among roommates, for example, is verboten at the Villa.

“But we have no such rule at the Lodge,” explained Play’s physician fiancé, Karen, who lives there.

As an emergency room doctor, Karen herself caused controversy: Early in the pandemic, some Villa roommates were so uncomfortable with her visiting Play that she temporarily moved out of the house. (Her Lodge roommates apparently had no such qualms about safety, however.)

Residents of the three homes — who work in fields including real estate and finance, marketing and the arts, medicine and plumbing supplies — initially bickered over whether or not to isolate in their own rooms and if masks should be worn at all times.

Eventually they moved roommates around on different floors based on their “risk tolerance,” although two people decided to move out over safety concerns.

“It wasn’t so much that there was bad blood. It was more we couldn’t find a happy medium,” said Beth Sparksfire, the club’s director of events and membership, whose husband, Andrew Sparksfire, is a Hacienda co-founder.

Guests are still allowed, for sex or otherwise, but roommates are expected to be respectful of each other’s safety.

According to Play, quarantining was never going to be an easy sell to proponents of free love.

“If you have a group of people who are social butterflies and into casual sex, it’s especially hard to lock down,” he said.

Sources in the polyamory world told The Post that some adventurers have been getting their kink elsewhere, like resorts in Mexico with looser restrictions on how many people are allowed to gather. “Tulum’s less strict,” one swinger said. “It’s more like Florida.”

Others have gone upstate for fun. Armed with negative COVID tests, two dozen revelers recently rented an Airbnb in the Catskills to fool around en masse.

“The last year has been so isolating and I’ve missed the human touch,” one of the partygoers said. “Thankfully that weekend I got touched, a lot.”

The Hacienda, meanwhile, has been hosting virtual events, including naked yoga and even “cyber orgies” where members get it on from home while others watch.

With vaccines on the horizon, members see a brighter future.

“We’re looking forward to getting back to normal,” Andrew said.

“Our normal,” Beth explained, “with lots of close proximity between gyrating, naked bodies . . .”

“. . . the bodies of strangers!” *Karen added.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (01-20-2021), RBP (01-18-2021)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

Lockdown Effect: Study Projects Unemployment From Pandemic Will Cause Nearly 900,000 U.S. Deaths

By Hank Berrien - The Daily Wire

A new economic paper argues that the “unprecedented unemployment shocks” amplified by lockdowns and other government restrictions in response to the COVID-19 pandemic will cause nearly 900,000 deaths over the next 15 years.

Writing in a new National Bureau for Economic Research paper, Harvard University, Johns Hopkins University and Duke University researchers stated, “Our results suggest that the toll of lives claimed by the SARS-CoV-2 virus far exceeds those immediately related to the acute COVID-19 critical illness and that the recession caused by the pandemic can jeopardize population health for the next two decades,” as the Foundation for Economic Education(FEE) reports.

“We also predict that the shock will disproportionately affect African-Americans and women, over a short horizon, while white men might suffer large consequences over longer horizons,” the researchers state. “These figures translate in a staggering 0.89 million additional deaths over the next 15 years.”

The researchers specifically cite the massive unemployment spikes from lockdowns and other government-imposed restrictions, spikes which they say were some “two to five times larger than typical unemployment shocks,” FEE notes.

“While the trade-off between containing the COVID-19 pandemic and economic activity has been analyzed in the short-term, there is currently no analysis regarding the long-term impact of the COVID-19-related economic recession on public health,” the researchers continue. “What is more, most of the papers interested in the relation between the COVID-19 pandemic and economic activity argue, correctly, that lockdowns can save lives at the cost of reducing economic activity, but they do not consider the possibility that severe economic distress might also have important consequences on human well-being.”

“Based on our approach, the COVID-19 unemployment shock is about 3.17 standard deviations larger than the typical shock to the unemployment rate for the overall population (about 2.68% in magnitude),” the researchers explain. “We estimate that this unprecedented unemployment shock will result in a 3.01% increase in mortality rates and a 0.50% drop in life expectancy over the next 15 years.”

The researchers conclude, “Our results suggest that the toll of lives claimed by the SARS-CoV-2 virus far exceeds those immediately related to the acute COVID-19 critical illness and that the recession caused by the pandemic can jeopardize population health for the next two decades.”

FEE points out that rising unemployment “has long been correlated with higher death rates,” citing as an example a 1979 study, which “concluded that for every 10 percent increase in unemployment, mortality increased by 1.2 percent.” Such findings have led social scientists to maintain that “employment and economic growth are essential components of a healthy society.”

FEE also noted: “A 2014 article in Harvard Public Health magazine points to an abundance of research that reaches a similar conclusion: employment disruptions come with severe costs to mental and physical health. The body of research includes a 2011 meta-analysis—published in Social Science & Medicine—that concluded the mortality risk was 63 percent higher for individuals who experienced unemployment than those who did not. There are a multitude of reasons mortality risk increases during periods of unemployment, but the primary reason appears to be that unemployment literally makes people sick.”

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (01-20-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    One of my mother's friends caught the Covid.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    One of my mother's friends caught the Covid.
    I hope she recovered.....

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Monk For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (01-22-2021), lost in melb. (01-21-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I hope she gets over her flu

meanwhile, the larp changes

Last edited by FBD; 01-21-2021 at 01:50 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Covid vacinne makers building has been set of fire.
    5 vaccine researchers reportedly killed in fire.
    https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...352-2021-01-21

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Is this your new tack now that Trump has gone and no longer conspiracy theory worthy?

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    I hope she recovered.....
    My mother took her to the hospital emergency room where they diagnosed her and then immediately sent her home with some prescriptions. Apparently, she wasn't doing that bad, because the hospital is full of Covid patients, and she obviously didn't become one of them. They kept her long enough to get her BP back up, because it was crazy low. I'm told that she's doing way better today than she was yesterday. Now my mother has to go get tested in a few days to see if she caught the Covid from her friend.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (01-22-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    My mother took her to the hospital emergency room where they diagnosed her and then immediately sent her home with some prescriptions. Apparently, she wasn't doing that bad, because the hospital is full of Covid patients, and she obviously didn't become one of them. They kept her long enough to get her BP back up, because it was crazy low. I'm told that she's doing way better today than she was yesterday. Now my mother has to go get tested in a few days to see if she caught the Covid from her friend.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Monk For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (01-22-2021), lost in melb. (01-22-2021)