Page 1 of 70 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: The societal impacts of COVID-19

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts

Survival The societal impacts of COVID-19

It's also time to start tracking the social impacts...

Watch the crime rates, the overdose rates, suicide rates, and the biggest one... the domestic violence rates. I shudder at the people (kids especially) that the government has forced to stay home with their abusers.

Post articles as you find them... it's going to get interesting.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Godfather (04-04-2020), Pony (04-04-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks

Crime Drops in Lockdown, Domestic Violence Risk Climbs

Bloomberg March 30, 2020, 9:11 AM CDT

With more than two-thirds of the U.S. population ordered to stay home amid the coronavirus pandemic, it’s tougher for burglars to find an empty house to target. But the cooped-up residents seem more likely to fight each other.

That’s what crime statistics show in major U.S. cities where residents are spending almost all their time inside.

In Los Angeles, property crime was down 18% in the four weeks that ended March 21 from the previous four weeks. Calls for police services in Chicago have declined 30% for the month and crime in New York City fell almost 25% in the week ended March 22, compared with the week before.

“You know, you’ve never seen Fifth Avenue so open,” New York Police Department Commissioner Dermot Shea said last week. “You never see crosstown streets so open. We saw an immediate drop in most categories, I would say, of crime.”

The rapidly spreading infections from the coronavirus, with New York City as now the epicenter, have most Americans hunkering down. About 217 million people in at least 23 states, 17 cities and one territory were being urged to stay home as of Friday.

In Los Angeles, the number of burglaries and theft from motor vehicles, the most prevalent crime in the car-loving city, was down 24%. In areas such as Hollywood, car break-ins fell more than 40%, according to police. Burglaries dropped almost 20% in New York and rapes were down by more than half; there was one murder, compared with eight in the earlier week. (The pandemic can offer criminals opportunities. In Europe, a Dutch museum that’s closed to check the virus’s spread said Monday a Van Gogh was stolen in an overnight raid, the AP reported.)

The changes in violent crime were less pronounced in other cities.

In Chicago, there’s been a significant reduction in vehicle and pedestrian stops by police, Charlie Beck, the city’s interim police superintendent, said at a press conference Tuesday.

“All of this indicates to me that people are doing what we ask,” Beck said. “That they are staying home, that they are by and large creating good social distance, that our police officers are only focusing on things that have a direct impact on public safety and making sure that we all get through this together.”

In San Francisco, larceny-theft, which includes shoplifting and bicycle theft, was down 30% during the first three weeks of March versus the same period a year earlier.

But with people stuck indoors enduring the stress of an unprecedented public-health crisis and worrying about jobs disappearing, domestic squabbles are rising.

In Seattle, police got 614 domestic violence calls in the first two weeks of March, a 22% increase from a year earlier.

“The vast majority were for a DV disturbance, which means there is no arrest because it was just an argument where the police ended up responding,” Detective Patrick Michaud of the Seattle police department said in an email, referring to domestic violence calls. “No assault. No property damage. No additional crime. Just an argument.”

In San Diego, District Attorney Summer Stephan on Friday acknowledged the increased risk of domestic violence.

“Losing a job and kids at home due to school closures can be triggers for domestic violence,” Stephan said in a statement. “We want people who are seeing warning signs of abuse or who are being abused to know that we stand ready to help them and that they shouldn’t suffer in silence.”

Los Angeles-based lawyer Lisa Bloom said she’s received dozens of calls in recent weeks from women who have been in violent confrontations with their boyfriends or husbands.

“And they are all coronavirus related,” Bloom said in a phone interview.

In some instances, fights between couples erupted over the state’s stay-at-home order, with people allowed to leave their homes only for essential errands or exercise. Last week, Bloom said, she got a restraining order for a woman who was beaten up by her partner after she complained he was going out for hours.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Godfather (04-04-2020), KevinD (04-04-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Coronavirus: 36% Of Americans Say Pandemic Has Made A ‘Serious Impact’ On Their Mental Health
    Topline: As hospitals strain to keep up with an influx of coronavirus patients, some mental health providers report an increase in people seeking mental health treatment, as Americans report feeling anxious about the pandemic and its ramifications.

- 36% of Americans told an American Psychiatric Association poll that the pandemic has had a serious impact on their mental health, and according to a PiplSay poll, 31% of Americans say they’re sleeping less because of coronavirus-related anxiety.
    - As people self-quarantine, remote therapy services like Talkspace and Brightside have seen an increase in demand— Talkspace told Bloomberg it experienced a 65% increase in customers since mid February and Brightside has seen a 50% increase in new users since the start of the year.
    - Rhiana Holmes, a trauma therapist specializing in disaster psychology out of Denver, Colorado, has switched to virtual appointments in the name of social distancing, but told Forbes there’s been an increase in people reaching out about their mental health.
    - “My private practice has seen a huge uptick in new clients because people are feeling really anxious. Interestingly, many of them don't necessarily relate it to coronavirus— but if someone has pre-existing conditions like anxiety or depression, stress is likely to bring out problematic symptoms in light of the pandemic,” Holmes said.
    - Depression and anxiety “thrive on social isolation and disruption of routine,” Holmes said, making the coronavirus pandemic and resulting quarantines prime for mental health upheavals.
    - Down the line, more people may need treatment if they develop anxiety, depression or acute adjustment disorder from their time during the pandemic, or the more extreme post-traumatic stress disorder, Holmes said.

Crucial quote: “Much like how we don’t know how many asymptomatic coronavirus carriers are going to manifest into needing care, we’re seeing the same thing in mental health,” Brightside cofounder Mimi Weinberg told Bloomberg. “All of us that are struggling with the adjustments to new circumstances, some percentage will actually manifest into clinical anxiety or depression.”

Key background
    : Even before coronavirus, America was experiencing a mental health crisis. Rates of suicide have continued to rise in recent years, up 35% since 1999. According to the CDC, 47,000 deaths in the U.S. were attributed to suicide, or about one death every 11 minutes, in 2017. Even more Americans consider suicide— the same year, the CDC reported that 10.6 million people “seriously thought” about suicide, 3.2 million made a plan and 1.4 million attempted it. By National Institute of Mental Health estimates, 17.3 million adults in 2017 experienced a major depressive episode lasting a minimum of two weeks. Despite the prevalence of mental health issues, it’s a subject many Americans want to keep hidden, with some reports suggesting as many as 80% of people who need help with their mental health don’t seek it out because of stigma associated with treatment.

Tangent: Adults aren’t the only ones feeling the stress of the pandemic. Children have reported feeling anxious and scared about coronavirus. The jury is still out on whether prolonged quarantining will affect today’s children in the long term, whether it be emotional or in terms of educational attainment. However, just like adults, sticking to schedules can help children cope during the tumultuous time of a pandemic and prevent further trauma, Holmes said.

Surprising fact: Depression can be expensive. It costs the U.S. economy $210 billion a year, about half of which costs employers via missed work and lost productivity, according to Bloomberg.

I find this interesting for sure. I don't know I'd say my mental health has been strongly impacted, but I've certainly lost some sleep worrying about things. My wife has a friend who is a doctor and told her privately yesterday that for the first time in her life she needed anti-anxiety meds because she cannot sleep anymore with all that's going on. I'm sure there is going to be a lot of that.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

RBP (04-04-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    RBP this is a totally anecdotal thought but I've got two buddies who are single right now and active on tinder. They said it's like fish in a barrel right now, my one buddy who isn't particularly attractive (in any sense of the word sadly ) said he had 30 matches last week up from 1-2 usually, and he lives in a tiny town. I wonder how horny this quarantine is making people - can't wait to see if we get a baby boom

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Coronavirus: 36% Of Americans Say Pandemic Has Made A ‘Serious Impact’ On Their Mental Health

I find this interesting for sure. I don't know I'd say my mental health has been strongly impacted, but I've certainly lost some sleep worrying about things. My wife has a friend who is a doctor and told her privately yesterday that for the first time in her life she needed anti-anxiety meds because she cannot sleep anymore with all that's going on. I'm sure there is going to be a lot of that.
    It's going be a while before we understand the numbers, but the anecdotal information is there, in just 2 weeks. I am concerned that we will see a scale of personal destruction (see categories in the OP) that outstrips the COVID numbers.

I am seriously considering just going to a distance counseling platform and doing it full time.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    RBP this is a totally anecdotal thought but I've got two buddies who are single right now and active on tinder. They said it's like fish in a barrel right now, my one buddy who isn't particularly attractive (in any sense of the word sadly ) said he had 30 matches last week up from 1-2 usually, and he lives in a tiny town. I wonder how horny this quarantine is making people - can't wait to see if we get a baby boom
    No question there will be a huge baby boom.

So when this pent up sexual frustration gets even worse, what happens? Increase in risk taking behavior? Seems counter-intuitive, but it's already been the trend. The Tindr crowd is completely exploding the STD numbers, including transmission to children at birth. It's fucked up, and has been since Plan B became widely available. Unfortunately, nobody is telling the girls that you can only use Plan B three times in your LIFE without greatly increasing the risk of infertility. Seems like the public is oblivious? ignorant? both?

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    It's going be a while before we understand the numbers, but the anecdotal information is there, in just 2 weeks. I am concerned that we will see a scale of personal destruction (see categories in the OP) that outstrips the COVID numbers.

I am seriously considering just going to a distance counseling platform and doing it full time.
    That sounds like a good career plan, my brother's girlfriend is a counselor and has just started doing that herself.

A major piece here is obviously the recession that's tied into this pandemic. I've read that past recessions lead to a reduction in mortality rate (interesting article BTW), but I'm not sure how you compare that to this very unique situation we're in here with global qarantines that will impact mental health, domestic abuse and who knows what else. It all feels completely unprecedented. Interesting to say the least.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

RBP (04-04-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    And oddly enough, I'm sleeping like a baby during all of this shit. Strange.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

KevinD (04-04-2020), lost in melb. (04-04-2020), RBP (04-04-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    I'm actually sleeping more than ever. My naps have gotten to be like a Hobbits meals.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Griffin For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (04-05-2020), KevinD (04-04-2020), lost in melb. (04-04-2020), RBP (04-04-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    And oddly enough, I'm sleeping like a baby during all of this shit. Strange.
    Interesting, sleeping better than usual I take it? Any thoughts on why?

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Interesting, sleeping better than usual I take it? Any thoughts on why?

I don't know. Stupid theory number 1: Maybe I'm just so fucked up in the head that when the world becomes even more fucked up than me, it sets my mind at ease.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Godfather (04-05-2020), KevinD (04-05-2020), RBP (04-05-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    It's also time to start tracking the social impacts...

Watch the crime rates, the overdose rates, suicide rates, and the biggest one... the domestic violence rates. I shudder at the people (kids especially) that the government has forced to stay home with their abusers.

Post articles as you find them... it's going to get interesting.
    Not sure I agree with the characterization that the government is the enemy.

But I completely agree with what you're saying here, for a lot of kids school is a safe environment. And also parents know that if they abuse the kids, school will pick up on it. neither of those two safety guards are in place at the moment. Add parental stress and confinement and you have the potential for a lot of psychological damage

20. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

RBP (04-05-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts

22. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

RBP (04-05-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    That's seems very appropriate.

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 863 Posts
    No question there will be a huge baby boom.

So when this pent up sexual frustration gets even worse, what happens? Increase in risk taking behavior? Seems counter-intuitive, but it's already been the trend. The Tindr crowd is completely exploding the STD numbers, including transmission to children at birth. It's fucked up, and has been since Plan B became widely available. Unfortunately, nobody is telling the girls that you can only use Plan B three times in your LIFE without greatly increasing the risk of infertility. Seems like the public is oblivious? ignorant? both?
    In 15 years these kids will be known as "Quaranteens".

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to perrhaps For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (04-05-2020), lost in melb. (04-05-2020), Pony (04-05-2020), RBP (04-05-2020)