Page 21 of 70 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread: The societal impacts of COVID-19

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FBD View Post
    hahahahaha, if the fake & gay numbers werent bad enough, since people kept talking about Sweden's response, now we need to have a fakeass spike in Sweden so that see, everyone quick lock down before November!

That's a screenshot of Switzerland homie

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

FBD (10-23-2020), lost in melb. (10-23-2020), Muddy (10-23-2020)

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    That's a screenshot of Switzerland homie
    while this is true, my statement still stands

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,562 Times in 5,212 Posts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

Muddy (10-25-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    I actually like this.. Gimme a little personal space, I don't want you breathin' all in my face and I don't want to interact with your stranger ass..

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    I actually like this.. Gimme a little personal space, I don't want you breathin' all in my face and I don't want to interact with your stranger ass..
    It's my city of Melbourne. Never been more peaceful

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I think its pathetic how sheep are herded about, and they just go wherever and however they're corralled

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I think its pathetic how sheep are herded about, and they just go wherever and however they're corralled
    I know, right, a real man just acts like Trump and does and takes whatever he wants

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

Goofy (10-26-2020), Muddy (10-27-2020)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

US opioid deaths rising amid coronavirus lockdowns, state health officials say

By Stephen Sorace | Fox News

Opioid deaths are spiking in places across the U.S. as states remain locked down during the ongoing battle against the coronavirus, state and county health officials reported this month.

While national data isn’t available for most of 2020, several individual states are reporting an increase in opioid overdose deaths amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Health officials and experts have cited increased isolation and job loss due to statewide shutdowns as possible factors for the surge in drug-related deaths.

“The pandemic has really increased risk factors for substance abuse disorder,” Rebecca Shultz, director of community health at the Onondaga County Health Department, told Syracuse.com.

Opioid deaths in Onondaga County, N.Y., jumped to 86 in the first six months of 2020, according to the county health department. This number was nearly double the reported 44 fatalities in the first half of 2019, the outlet reported, citing the county medical examiner’s office.

Oregon saw a 70% increase in opioid overdose deaths in April and May 2020 compared to the same time last year, the Oregon Health Authority said.

While the department called the rise an “alarming spike,” it also said it was “premature to say how much of the spike in overdose deaths is attributable to the COVID-19 pandemic.”

“However, the realization that we will be dealing with COVID-19 for some time, and other stressors related to jobs, school, and social isolation, may increase feelings of anxiety and depression, and that can lead to a harmful level of alcohol or other drug use,” said Tom Jeanne, deputy state health officer and deputy state epidemiologist.

In Maine, which saw 258 overdose deaths from January through June, there was a 27% increase over the second half of 2019. Officials cited increased isolation as a partial factor for the rise.

"It is clear from the data that the increase in deaths from the opioid epidemic can be partially attributed to the increased isolation of living through the pandemic," Attorney General Aaron Frey said in a report on the state’s drug deaths for the second quarter.

California Attorney General Xavier Becerra told FOX40 Sacramento that “in some of our counties, there are more deaths from overdoses than there are from COVID-19.”

Becerra said that in San Diego there was a 50% increase in overdose deaths in July and August compared to the months leading to the pandemic. He said “the effects of these plagues are exacerbating” due to the pandemic.

Meanwhile, preliminary overdose death counts were up in Connecticut more than 19% through the end of July, compared with the same period last year. They were up 9% in Washington through the end of August, 28% in Colorado, and 30% in Kentucky during that same time.

After a one-year drop in 2018, U.S. opioid overdose deaths increased again in 2019, topping 50,000 for the first time, according to provisional data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. That accounted for the majority of the 71,000 fatal overdoses from all drugs.

In 2017, President Trump became the first president to declare the opioid crisis a national health emergency. In 2018, he signed a bill increasing federal opioid funding to record levels.

But with a shortage of medical professionals, states have not been able to spend their entire allocations, and some worry that grants lasting just a year or two will not be sustainable, a Bipartisan Policy Center study found.

The Trump administration continues to advance federal funding for opioid response efforts, requesting $1.5 billion more for state grants in the current fiscal year and prioritizing prevention education, treatment and law enforcement efforts, his campaign said in a statement to The Associated Press.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I know, right, a real man just acts like Trump and does and takes whatever he wants
    Does it chap your ass that Trump's actually squeaky clean, all things considered FBI, IRS, media up his ass for years on end and they come up 100% empty handed

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FBD For This Useful Post:

KevinD (10-26-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Airline Adds Hundreds Of Names To ‘No Fly’ List — Typically Reserved For Terrorists — Over Mask Refusal

By Amanda Prestigiacomo - The Daily Wire

A memo sent by Delta Airlines CEO Ed Bastian alerted employees that 460 people have been added to the no fly list for refusing to comply with mask mandates from the airline.

The no fly list is typically reserved for suspected terrorists.

“Throughout the pandemic, we have focused our efforts on protecting our people, our customers and our communities,” Bastian wrote in the memo obtained by ABC News.

Bastian added that it was now “as important as ever for us to be aware of the multiple layers of defense” against the China-originated novel coronavirus.

“Wearing a mask is among the simplest and most effective actions we can take to reduce transmission, which is why Delta has long required them for our customers and our people,” the CEO wrote. “As of this week, we’ve added 460 people to our no-fly list for refusing to comply with our mask requirement.”

Since the mask mandates have been implemented, even for very young travelers, there have been reports of mask-related incidents across major airlines.

For example, in September, a mother said she and her child were kicked off an American Airlines flight after the two-year-old boy would not put on his mask.

“It gets to the point where I’m crying so hard, I’m hysterical, I can’t even get a deep breath because my mask kept sucking into my mouth,” the mother recalled, according to CNN. “And then I’m shaking holding this piece of cloth to my son’s face so that we can take off and they [flight crew] were standing over me in the aisle saying they had to watch me repeatedly put the mask on him.”

Early on in the pandemic, public health officials told the general population to not wear masks. Later, however, they changed their tune on face coverings and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) likewise issued guidance recommending masks.

White House Coronavirus Task Force leading voice Dr. Anthony Fauci told “60 Minutes” in March that face masks were not necessary for the general population amid the novel coronavirus outbreak, noting that while masks might make people “feel a little bit better,” they don’t provide the protection folks believe they do and might create “unintended consequences.”

“When it comes to preventing coronavirus, public health officials have been clear: Healthy people do not need to wear a face mask to protect themselves from COVID-19,” CBS News reported March 8, concerning the Fauci interview.

“There’s no reason to be walking around with a mask,” the infectious disease expert told “60 Minutes.”

“While masks may block some droplets, Fauci said, they do not provide the level of protection people think they do,” CBS News reported at the time. “Wearing a mask may also have unintended consequences: People who wear masks tend to touch their face more often to adjust them, which can spread germs from their hands.”

“There’s no reason to be walking around with a mask when you’re in the middle of an outbreak,” Fauci doubled-down. “Wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better and it might even block a droplet, but it’s not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is. And often, there are unintended consequences; people keep fiddling with the mask and they keep touching their face.”

“When you think mask, you should think of health care providers needing them and people who are ill,” added the medical expert.

In early April, Fauci embraced new pro-mask CDC guidelines and told “Fox & Friends” viewers “to ‘wear some sort of facial covering’ when you’re in public and can’t socially distance because of new information the ‘virus can actually be spread even when people just speak as opposed to coughing and sneezing,'” Forbes reported.

Fauci then acknowledged in July his change on masks, adding that he doesn’t regret his previous anti-mask statements.

“I don’t regret anything I said then because in the context of the time in which I said it, it was correct,” he told CBS correspondent Norah O’Donnell, according to Business Insider. “We were told in our task force meetings that we have a serious problem with the lack of PPEs and masks for the health providers who are putting themselves in harm’s way every day to take care of sick people.”

“When it became clear that the infection could be spread by asymptomatic carriers who don’t know they’re infected, that made it very clear that we had to strongly recommend masks,” Fauci noted.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Sisters accused of stabbing store employee 27 times after being told to wear masks

Patrick Elwood - WGN 9

Jayla Hill, 18 (left), Jessica Hill, 21 (right)

CHICAGO — Two sisters are facing charges after prosecutors said they stabbed a store employee 27 times after being told to wear a mask inside a Chicago store.

Jessica Hill, 21, and Jayla Hill, 18, were both charged with attempted first-degree murder after allegedly stabbing a 42-year-old security guard at Snipes — an athletic store near Roosevelt Road and Kedzie Avenue — Sunday around 6 p.m. Officials said the stabbing happened after the women were told to wear masks and used store provided hand sanitizer.

Investigators said one of the women held the security guard down while the other one stabbed him repeatedly.

The security guard was taken to Mt. Sinai Hospital in critical condition.

The sisters appeared in bond court Tuesday where bond was denied.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Does it chap your ass that Trump's actually squeaky clean, all things considered FBI, IRS, media up his ass for years on end and they come up 100% empty handed
    Squeaky clean? I think he's got a talent for side-stepping felony. I also think he's very clever at avoiding direct responsibility. Manipulates others

You'll also notice I'm not running around every day talking about him getting his come-uppance, jail, the chopper, etc. That's not my call to make. And I don't wish it because it will only divide the country further and hurt more people...
    Last edited by lost in melb.; 10-28-2020 at 12:00 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    You'll also notice I'm not running around every day talking about him getting his come-uppance, jail, the chopper, etc. That's not my call to make. And I don't wish it because it will only divide the country further and hurt more people...
    So you're tellin me if you had gangrene, you'd have second thoughts about chopping off that limb? I talk about the traitors getting theirs because they're cold flat busted and the time is at hand. China released this virus and the CCP is on the same side as Biden Pelosi Fenstein Clinton Obama et al, and that's a fact, jack!

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Wtf dude? Can you stop the madness for a second

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks