Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: The societal impacts of COVID-19

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,131 Times in 1,886 Posts
    I dunno. I'm going to my moms Saturday to help her move, and sunday my brother in law is coming here for a couple days. Everyone has been sequestered except for me.
    Call me an asshole if you want.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    http://filesforprogress.org/memos/th...oronavirus.pdf

This is wild. 52% under 45 polled have lost their job, been put on temp leave or had hours reduced. I wish they'd split it further by age groups but stunning all the same. 41% who lost their job already have trouble covering basic costs.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

Pony (04-14-2020), RBP (04-10-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    The people who were renting my house (and were going to rent it in the future) have both lost work and moved back in with their parents.

I don't think I'd have diddly squat chance of renting it out now and am so grateful to be living in my own home because I'm not covering rent elsewhere. Best case of a bad scenario

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

Godfather (04-14-2020), RBP (04-10-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

RBP (04-15-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    The people who were renting my house (and were going to rent it in the future) have both lost work and moved back in with their parents.

I don't think I'd have diddly squat chance of renting it out now and am so grateful to be living in my own home because I'm not covering rent elsewhere. Best case of a bad scenario
    No lease agreement?

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    No lease agreement?
    I had arranged to have my house back, anyway. The arrangement was said they can leave all their things here. But now they won't be able to move back so I have to find someone else.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

Pony (04-14-2020)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Coronavirus stay-at-home orders stir protests nationwide amid fears of economic collapse

By Andrew O'Reilly | Fox News

At least 15,000 cars and trucks are expected to descend on Michigan’s state capital on Wednesday to protest what they’re calling Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s tyrannical new guidelines to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus in the state.

The so-called “drive-by” demonstration – in order to maintain social distancing -- aims to bring traffic to a gridlock in Lansing and protest the “Stay Home, Stay Safe” executive order by Whitmer, a Democrat, mandating what businesses could stay home, what some businesses could sell and ordering people in her state against any gatherings – no matter the size or family ties.

“Quarantine is when you restrict movement of sick people. Tyranny is when you restrict the movement of healthy people,” Meshawn Maddock, an organizer of the protest with the Michigan Conservative Coalition, told Fox News. “Every person has learned a harsh lesson about social distancing. We don’t need a nanny state to tell people how to be careful.”

The protest – called “Operation Gridlock” – would be just one of a number of demonstrations of civil disobedience around the country by Americans upset with their state’s stay-at-home orders amid the pandemic. While the contagion has infected over 568,000 Americans and killed over 23,000, according to the latest estimates, protestors from North Carolina to Wyoming said they’ve been just as concerned with the economic and financial impact the coronavirus has inflicted on the country – echoing President Trump’s complaint that “the cure be worse than the problem.”

Alex Berenson, a former New York Times reporter who has been sounding the alarm about what he believes are flawed models dictating the aggressive strategy, drew attention to the protests in North Carolina, as well as a social media uproar in Michigan.

“As someone wrote me, people in [Michigan] know when you lose jobs, they don’t come back,” he tweeted.

As for unemployment, some 16.8 million Americans have lost their jobs in the last three weeks – meaning one in ten working Americans was out of a job.

The figures collectively constituted the largest and fastest string of job losses in records dating to 1948. By contrast, during the Great Recession, it took 44 weeks — roughly 10 months — for unemployment claims to go as high as they now have in less than a month.

Last Thursday, dozens of protestors carrying placards and wearing Guy Fawkes masks ignored Ohio’s social-distancing guidelines to demonstrate on steps of the state’s capital building in Columbus against Gov. Mike DeWine, a Republican, and his administration’s handling of the outbreak. Demonstrators held signs reading “Open Ohio,” “Quarantine worse than virus,” and “Social distancing or social conditioning. We do not consent.”

While DeWine acknowledged that Ohioans had a right to voice their feelings toward his orders, he also pleaded with his constituents to “hang in there,” saying that not doing so would hurt the economy more.

“All the evidence that we have indicates if we don’t hang in there, if we don’t continue to do what we’re doing, it’s going to cost a lot of lives,” he said. “And, it’s going to delay our ability to economically recover.”

In Wyoming, about 20 gathered last week in a park in Casper to protest the government-mandated measures to slow the spread of the coronavirus and let people go back to work, while a Facebook group called “ReOpen NC” has brought in over 21,000 members since it launched last Tuesday; it’s planning to gather in protest later this week.

“We are losing our small businesses, which are the backbone of our economy,” the group wrote on its page. “The shutdown is not warranted, nor sustainable for our area. The vulnerable can be isolated or protected in other ways, without sacrificing our entire state economy.”

Maddock and other protestors in Michigan said the orders not only hurt the economy, but also damaged their way of life – and even may have killed more people than the virus.

“The health-care system is basically shut down,” she said. “People with issues are having trouble seeing a doctor because everyone is focused on the virus. My husband and I are checking in on my in-laws, but even doing that is now breaking the law.”

Whitmer “is making a criminal out of all of us,” Maddock added. “People just need to use common sense, we can’t just shut down the entire state.”

Whitmer has remained steady in her resolve that Michigan needed to stick to its strict stay-at-home orders if the state wanted to tackle the virus as soon as possible. Echoing DeWine, she acknowledged that her constituents were sacrificing a lot but asked them to “remain steady.”

“We are living in a difficult time, & the unknown is scary,” she tweeted over the weekend. “But I do know that we must remain steady,” she tweeted over the weekend. “We can’t allow fear or panic to guide us. The lives of Michiganders are at stake. We must stay the course to save lives. Stay steady. We’re going to get through this together.”

Trump and many other conservatives have been pushing for weeks to find some way to reopen the shuttered economy amid the pandemic, with the president forming a second coronavirus task force to investigate how it could be done. But now, Democrats leading individual states also have been making plans to open up for business.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, along with the northeastern governors of New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Delaware, announced a regional effort to eventually reopen the economy in a “coordinated way” amid the coronavirus crisis. West Coast governors announced similar plans.

“We should start looking forward to 'reopening', but reopening with a plan and a smart plan because if you do it wrong, it can backfire,” Cuomo said during the event. “What the art form is going to be here is doing that smartly and doing that productively and doing that in a coordinated way -- in coordination with other states in the area and doing it as a cooperative effort where we learn from each other where we share information, share resources, where we share intelligence.”

In other parts of the globe that have reopened for business, such as Hong Kong and Singapore, there have been reports of new waves of COVID-19 outbreaks.

Recognizing that possibility, New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy called the coronavirus crisis “the fight of our lives,” and noted, “reopening ourselves back up will be equally as challenging.”

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (04-14-2020), Pony (04-14-2020), RBP (04-15-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks

14. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

RBP (04-15-2020)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Just go get your RFID chip implanted and you're good to go

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (04-14-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Just go get your RFID chip implanted and you're good to go

18. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

Godfather (04-15-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Sounds like you've got your own problems. Today:

"When somebody is the president of the United States, the authority is total,” Trump said...

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    Sounds like you've got your own problems. Today:

That's what happens when you only read the Cliff's Notes version of the Constitution.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    I have been laughing at Trump's brilliance on reopening.

Trump: We should talk about reopening.
    Media: Nope. Not interested.
    Trump: Oh. Okay.
    pause.
    Trump: I have sole authority.
    Every media outlet: He's not a king. Lets discuss reopening with every possible authority on the air to prove it. The people will decide not a dictator!
    Trump: *drops mic*
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.