Page 62 of 70 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast

Thread: The societal impacts of COVID-19

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,562 Times in 5,212 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Ya we're acutely aware of it here, but even having your fine examples to follow hasn't seemed to help our inept governments.

I think the bottom line of our problem has been that our government hasn't been tough on international travel at all. Only in the past couple months have they tried to force arriving air passengers to quarantine, but even that hasn't been tough. We can lockdown as much as we like, close the poor restaurants again and again, but it doesn't matter if people can fly in from hot zones and just walk away from the 'mandatory hotel quarantine' at the airport because the only risk is that maybe they'll get a fine in the mail I think the hesitancy has been that these weenies online have said stopping international travel is 'racism' which is insane in a pandemic.

I hate to say it but I think you have a bit of a soft lefty federal government. They sre usually the kind of guys that I take sides of, but with this sort of thing you need to be tough and act quickly. I.e completely leave politics out of it. Quite a number of people have copped 5 figure fines for crossing state borders and misleading officials.

I think it stems from our general hard-nose against illegal immigration. We're used to slamming the door.

With this huge outbreak in India, Canada only stopped incoming flights on Friday. I hear Aus and NZ did it weeks ago. Just brutal.

I have other issues with our approach too... namely that something like 75% of public transmission has been at construction and manufacturing sites (not schools or restaurants where the media focuses their attention) but nothing is being done about it
    Actually, Australian feds have hesitated a bit with the incoming Indians. Very risky and I'm not sure why.

Interesting about that manufacturing angle. Perhaps it's a lot harder to have to wear mask with sweaty work

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

The Monk (04-28-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Monk View Post
    We've not had a community transmission since March last year and the one that got away and flew to Melbourne caught the virus in a quarantine hotel. There is now another community case and it is related directly to the first one.

Personally I am unaffected by the restrictions but I do find them contradictory at times and do wonder why the supposed "Medical Advice" differs from state to state.

The state Premier is responsible for the state and I'm not sure where the Federal government comes into it....? The agreement between them was that States run the quarantine hotels.... :https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...ralia/13070108)

As Godfather says - AUS & NZ have done very well compared to many other countries. No Australian state has hesitated to lockdown as needed and Western Australia is today, one of the best economies in the world.
    Looks like you beat it back. Well done!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

The Monk (04-28-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    by Peter Heck - Disrn

There were two primary reactions I had when I read this – one emotional and one logical. If you haven't yet seen it, prepare yourself – this isn't normal, this isn't healthy. It's the publicly-posted testimony of a Canadian reporter who works for the Toronto Star, whose toddler-aged daughter was recently diagnosed with COVID-19.

She has not left lockdown, has not invited anyone into her home in over a year, has had groceries delivered, has not seen her parents since February of 2020, and skipped her own brother's wedding.

Fear of this virus has irreparably upended the family's entire existence.

Like I said, I had two primary reactions when reading through that. From an emotional standpoint I felt overwhelming pity. This poor woman is scared out of her mind, and evidently no one – not her boss, not her colleagues, not her husband – is capable of talking her off the ledge. Instead they have quite apparently facilitated it. Her husband is playing along with this unhinged behavior, enabling and perhaps fueling a deranged debilitation over a mathematically miniscule threat to her and her loved ones' health.

I feel a frustrating grief for her poor little girl, sick and crying to be held while an irrational fear, divorced from science and statistic, leaves her double masked and alone.

But beyond the emotive reactions provoked in me, there's a logical reaction I have that produces a more lasting distress about what this type of testimony portends. Remember, individuals like Jennifer Yang are the ones who have been tasked for a year with informing us about the pandemic that surrounds us.

They are the ones writing the headlines.

They are the ones determining what stories are written and how, while also deciding which stories will not be heard.

They are the ones setting the agenda, driving the narrative, shaping public opinion – which includes discrediting, mocking, and humiliating anyone who attempts to counter it or provide a less hysterical analysis.

Let there be no confusion as to why the majority of the world is struggling to return to any sense of normalcy over a year into this scourge of COVID.

No serious person doubts its reality – they know it's more contagious than a normal virus, they know it represents a grave threat for several groups of people with pre-existing conditions, they know those who are most vulnerable.

They also know it is not the Black Death, indiscriminately annihilating anyone and everyone it comes in contact with, and it need not be treated as such. But our media – people like Jennifer Yang – do not seem to know that.

It leads to the phenomenon recently exposed by Bill Maher of all people:

"Researchers at Dartmouth built a database recently monitoring the COVID coverage of the major news outlets across the world and found that while other countries mix the good news in with the bad, the U.S. national media reported almost 90% bad news. Even as things were getting better, the reporting remained negative."

That has real world consequences. First, it needlessly panics the half of the population that shares an ideological agreement with the press (the left). As Maher illuminated:

"In a recent Gallup survey, Democrats did much worse than Republicans in getting the right answer to the fundamental question: what are the chances that someone who gets COVID will need to be hospitalized? The answer is between one and 5%. 41% of Democrats thought it was over 50%, another 28% put the chances at 20 to 49."

Second, the abuse of journalistic integrity reflexively shoves those who have come to understand how hated they are by the press (the right) into dark corners of conspiracy-touting blogs where misinformation abounds but rarely is held up into the light. These voices are equally irresponsible in their approach to science and objective truth, selling their snake oil theories to a sector of the population inclined to accept as fact anything that counters the mainstream, deep state-approved messaging.

A healthy skepticism of institutions is productive and useful. A paralyzing paranoia easily persuaded by even the most outlandish conspiracy theory is not.

Here's how this works. Look at this image:

If I said that the gray boxes represented cases of COVID, and the little highlighted sliver represented those who required hospitalization or serious treatment, a significant sector of our population would blow trumpets and celebrate me telling the truth about how COVID hysteria is overblown.

But when I tell them that the gray boxes represent vaccinated people and the little highlighted sliver represents those who had any serious reaction, it's a completely different response. Ditto that on telling the truth that anaphylaxis rates are two times lower for a COVID vaccine than, say, a Shingles vaccine.

America has a truth problem, and it's being fueled by the fact that the places where we get our information are so opposed to telling it.
    Actually a good article. To be honest I don't understand US. It shouldn't be that hard. Terrible thing to say but there's a lot of neuroticism in America. I've never been able to pinpoint where it comes from, but it's the kind of dangerous sort that leads to persecution and people dying. Both sides.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,815 Times in 6,371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    I hate to say it but I think you have a bit of a soft lefty federal government. They sre usually the kind of guys that I take sides of, but with this sort of thing you need to be tough and act quickly. I.e completely leave politics out of it. Quite a number of people have copped 5 figure fines for crossing state borders and misleading officials.

I think it stems from our general hard-nose against illegal immigration. We're used to slamming the door.

Actually, Australian feds have hesitated a bit with the incoming Indians. Very risky and I'm not sure why.

Interesting about that manufacturing angle. Perhaps it's a lot harder to have to wear mask with sweaty work

True about preventing illegal immigration!... under a previous left wing federal government, illegal arrivals were rampant. So many took risky opportunities to try and get in and hundreds disappeared at sea. Our right wing government took a very hard line stance and it stopped!

As to the Indians, only yesterday did we block flights from there. I suspect part of the delay is pure politics because Indian students are a massive income to Australia. There are many (now) Australian citizens of Indian descent and vast numbers travel to and from all the time. Our community transmission originated with a bloke here that went back to India to get married and both he and his wife contracted Covid.

A little bit of me also wonders if there is a tad of PC in this....
    Last edited by The Monk; 04-28-2021 at 07:13 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Monk View Post
    True about preventing illegal immigration!... under a previous left wing federal government, illegal arrivals were rampant. So many took risky opportunities to try and get in and hundreds disappeared at sea. Our right wing government took a very hard line stance and it stopped!

Yes, Rudd really put his foot in it. Hopefully lesson learnt. The image of a torturous rest of your life on a tropical island with Fijian guards does work wonders..

As to the Indians, only yesterday did we block flights from there. I suspect part of the delay is pure politics because Indian students are a massive income to Australia. There are many (now) Australian citizens of Indian descent and vast numbers travel to and from all the time. Our community transmission originated with a bloke here that went back to India to get married and both he and his wife contracted Covid.

A little bit of me also wonders if there is a tad of PC in this....

I suspect so. If something doesn't make sense it's politics.

Our Unis are screwed though. What to do?

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    Actually a good article. To be honest I don't understand US. It shouldn't be that hard. Terrible thing to say but there's a lot of neuroticism in America. I've never been able to pinpoint where it comes from, but it's the kind of dangerous sort that leads to persecution and people dying. Both sides.
    Imagine if this dude ever discovered the role of the MSM in the USA....shouldnt alarm bells go off when one comes across massive inconsistencies? Nahhhhhhh

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks

at some point, one has to consider that these things are indeed enemy actions
    Last edited by FBD; 04-28-2021 at 01:13 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    That's super fucked up if this bullshit gene edit is transmitting via human contact

https://media.tghn.org/medialibrary/...r_BioNTech.pdf

Last edited by FBD; 04-28-2021 at 06:50 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,815 Times in 6,371 Posts
    Now there is better "Trending" information.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to The Monk For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (05-03-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    A mate of mine works with an Indian team. Things are pretty bad. Politicians have been actively suppressing how bad it is for a long time ( and even now). Election stuff...

Now the cat is out of the bag and it is too late. Deaths are likely 2 to 5 times more than reported. Crematoriums have been instructed not to write Covid as cause of death.

Also, families want to cremate loved ones outside strict COVID-19 government protocols, so don't report Covid.

Last edited by lost in melb.; 05-03-2021 at 07:07 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

The Monk (05-04-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    A mate of mine works with an Indian team. Things are pretty bad. Politicians have been actively suppressing how bad it is for a long time ( and even now). Election stuff...
    Anyone can go look at the numbers and see that this Indian outbreak only began after the vaccinations

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    https://scitechdaily.com/covid-19-is...ellular-level/

COVID-19 Is a Vascular Disease: Coronavirus’ Spike Protein Attacks Vascular System on a Cellular Level

Salk researchers and collaborators show how the protein damages cells, confirming COVID-19 as a primarily vascular disease.

Scientists have known for a while that SARS-CoV-2’s distinctive “spike” proteins help the virus infect its host by latching on to healthy cells. Now, a major new study shows that they also play a key role in the disease itself.

The paper, published on April 30, 2021, in Circulation Research, also shows conclusively that COVID-19 is a vascular disease, demonstrating exactly how the SARS-CoV-2 virus damages and attacks the vascular system on a cellular level. The findings help explain COVID-19’s wide variety of seemingly unconnected complications, and could open the door for new research into more effective therapies.

“A lot of people think of it as a respiratory disease, but it’s really a vascular disease,” says Assistant Research Professor Uri Manor, who is co-senior author of the study. “That could explain why some people have strokes, and why some people have issues in other parts of the body. The commonality between them is that they all have vascular underpinnings.”

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Backlash within Coalition over ‘extreme’ and ‘heavy-handed’ India travel ban

One government MP says biosecurity powers offer ‘an insane level of power for a single minister to wield’

Legal challenges loom over India travel ban
    Does the health justification stack up?
    Scott Morrison, Greg Hunt, Brendan Murphy and Paul Kelly
    Katharine Murphy and Sarah Martin
    Tue 4 May 2021 03.30 AEST

The Morrison government is battling a significant backlash within its own ranks over the controversial decision to criminalise returning to Australia from Covid-ravaged India, with Coalition MPs characterising the move as “extreme” and “heavy-handed”.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...dia-travel-ban
    Fiona Martin, the Liberal member for Reid, a Sydney electorate with a substantial Indian community, told Guardian Australia the travel ban and related legal penalties were “quite heavy-handed”.

“There are a lot of Australians stuck in India that we should be bringing home as a priority,” Martin said, adding it was her “hope” that repatriation flights would begin “as soon as possible”.

The Liberal MP Dave Sharma also raised concerns.

“There is little doubt this is an extreme measure and that it is causing significant hardship to the Australian Indian community,” he said.

Australians could die from Covid in India under travel ban, medical chief warns
    Read more
    “It can only be justified on the basis of the unprecedented outbreak in India underway and the significantly heightened risk which this poses. I fully expect these restrictions will only be temporary and that enhanced powers will be used only sparingly and as a last resort.”

The Sydney-based member for Berowra, Julian Leeser, confirmed he had been speaking to community leaders over the weekend and had conveyed their concerns “to a range of ministers”.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Our quarantine system probably can't cope. But then, the question begs, why don't we have dedicated quarantine facilities up after over a year? The hotels are leaking like a sieve.

In the grand scheme of things, it's not that expensive.

What do you think, @The Monk ?