#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

News Father, son arrested and charged in killing of Ahmaud Arbery, GBI says

WSBTV.com News Staff

GLYNN COUNTY, GA — The Georgia Bureau of Investigation announced Thursday night that agents have arrested Gregory and Travis McMichael for the murder of Ahmaud Arbery.

Arbery was shot and killed on Feb. 23 in southeast Georgia when his family and friends said he was out on an afternoon jog. Cellphone video showing the moment Arbery was killed has prompted national outrage since surfacing online this week.

The GBI said it is holding a news conference at 9 a.m. Friday morning with more information on the McMichaels arrests.

Gregory McMichael, 64, and his son Travis McMichael, 34, have admitted to grabbing guns and pursuing Arbery as he jogged in their neighborhood, according to police records.

The GBI said the men were also charged with aggravated assault. The McMichaels were taken into custody and were booked into the Glynn County Jail.

During a news conference Thursday afternoon, Gov. Brian Kemp had strong words about the killing of Arbery.

“Earlier this week, I watched a video depicting Mr. Arbery’s last moments alive. It is absolutely horrific, and Georgians deserve answers,” Kemp said. “I have confidence in Vic Reynolds and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. I know they will work around the clock to thoroughly and independently investigate Mr. Arbery’s death to find the truth. In these moments, please pray for his loved ones, the local community, and our state."

Following the GBI’s announcement of the arrests, Georgia Attorney General Chris Carr released a statement, saying, in part: “This tragedy cannot be undone, but this is the first step in what I am confident will be a swift road to justice.”

Arbery’s mother, Wanda Cooper-Jones said she hasn’t been able to bring herself to watch the video.

She told Good Morning America’s Amy Robach that she’s heard about what the video showed from friends, and that was enough for her.

“He didn’t deserve to go the way he went.”

“I don’t think I’ll ever be in a mental state where I can actually watch the video,” Cooper-Jones said.

Arbery’s mother’s attorney Lee Merritt called for arrests to be made immediately.

“Prosecutors will need a grand jury in order to formally indict these men, but that has nothing to do with actually going out an arresting the men seen on camera murdering a 25-year-old unarmed black man,” Merritt said.

According to a police report, the men said they were looking for someone they suspected was breaking into homes.

“I’m out here in Satilla Shores, there’s a black male running down the street,” a caller to 911 said before the shooting.

McMichael used to work in county law enforcement with his son Travis. Travis McMichael is seen holding a shotgun and getting into the struggle with Arbery. He claims he fired in self defense.

Prosecutors said the coronavirus is hampering the efforts to indict the men.

“The prosecutors actually have the option if they so chose to, to directly indict, and skip the entire grand jurial process. It’s something that happens all the time in our legal system and this would certainly be an appropriate moment as well,” Merritt said.

Cooper-Jones said she believes there hadn’t been any arrests in the case because of McMichael’s past history in law enforcement.

“I think that no arrests have been made basically of the title that he carried, as a retired police officer. I think they don’t feel like he was wrong, because he was one of them,” Cooper-Jones said.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigations announced on Tuesday that it was opening its own probe into the incident.

Atlanta NAACP vice president Gerald Griggs says plans are in place for a massive rally and protest in Brunswick on Friday demanding justice for the Arbery family.

“Clearly there is probable cause. A magistrate needs to issue a warrant. That is why we are going to magistrate court in Glynn County and demand an arrest warrant,” Griggs told Channel 2′s Tom Regan. “My heart goes out to this family, particularly his mother, Wanda, who had the courage to push this case forward.”

Arbery would have turned 26 on Friday. His mother said she wants the world to know who he was.

“Ahmaud carried the most humble spirit. Ahmaud was kind. He was well-mannered. Ahmaud most of all was loved by his family and peers,” Cooper-Jones said.

"My kid was murdered,” Arbery’s father, Marcus Arbery, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “That’s all I can say. He ran like that every day, all his life. He ran in his neighborhood and that one too. That’s the only place he ever had a problem.”

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (05-08-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    So I struggle with this. Not because of the story, but because it becomes an urban legend that is then used to extrapolate murderous intent on all white people. That part is unfair and unfortunate.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Atlanta NAACP vice president Gerald Griggs says plans are in place for a massive rally and protest in Brunswick on Friday demanding justice for the Arbery family.
    Why? The GBI's doing their job. They arrested the guys. I swear they'll get it right. Don't come down here. You're just gonna cause trouble and make it worse.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    So I struggle with this. Not because of the story, but because it becomes an urban legend that is then used to extrapolate murderous intent on all white people. That part is unfair and unfortunate.
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Why? The GBI's doing their job. They arrested the guys. I swear they'll get it right. Don't come down here. You're just gonna cause trouble and make it worse.
    Like I said...

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    There is no tragedy big enough that these groups won't exploit for their own self-aggrandizing purposes.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

RBP (05-08-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    or small enough.... making their case that it's systemic and not cultural, is above all else.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (05-08-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks

Maybe they'll all come down here and get the coronavirus...

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (05-09-2020), Griffin (05-08-2020), RBP (05-08-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks

I don't agree with Yankee on many things outside of his 2nd amendment activism (he's a raging liberal and unapologetic Trump and Republican hater), but he's dead on in these videos.

Oh, and he got the weather in February thing wrong. It's been unseasonably warm down here.
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 05-11-2020 at 01:55 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Negligent homicide, manslaughter, assault... no more than 2nd degree murder. There was no real premeditation or malice involved. At most, I think you can call these two guys fucking idiots. Lawyers might push for some kind of hate crime, but personally, I don't think hate crimes should exist as statute.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,561 Times in 5,212 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,561 Times in 5,212 Posts
    It doesn't help any situation when you behave like an aggressive jerk

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Sister of Ahmaud Arbery’s alleged killer posted picture of his body to Snapchat

By Jorge Fitz-Gibbon - New York Post

The sister of the man charged with gunning down Ahmaud Arbery said she posted pictures of the unarmed black jogger’s dead body online because she is “a true-crime fan,” according to a new report.

Lindsay McMichael, 30, admitted posting an unedited image of a blood-soaked Arbery lying on the street in Brunswick, Georgia, on Snapchat, but said she meant no harm, the Sun reported Monday.

“I had no nefarious or malicious intent when I posted that picture,” she told the outlet. “The thing is I’m a huge fan of true crime — I listen to four or five podcasts a week — I’m constantly watching that sort of thing.”

“It was more of a, ‘Holy s–t, I can’t believe this has happened,'” she added. “It was absolutely poor judgment.”

However, a lawyer for Arbery’s family called the image “deeply disturbing.”

“The picture Lindsay McMichael posted was very disturbing and very disturbing to the family,” attorney S. Lee Merritt told the Sun. “It actually fits the pattern of the McMichael family engaging in a weird, violent form of voyeurism.”

Ex-cop Gregory McMichael, 64, and his son, Travis McMichael, 34 — Lindsay McMichael’s father and brother — are charged with murder in Arbery’s Feb. 23 shooting death.

Snapchat posted by Lindsay McMichael of Ahmaud Arbery's body

Police said the two men chased Arbery, 25, for more than 4 minutes after he was spotted poking around a construction site on the block. The two finally confronted Arbery, who was shot twice with a shotgun at close range during a struggle with Travis McMichael.

The McMichaels were not charged in the case until earlier this month when a video of the fatal encounter was made public and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, the state’s law enforcement agency, took over the case.

Ironically, it was Gregory McMichael who leaked the video to a local station, thinking it would exonerate the two men.

“First you have (Gregory) McMichael sharing with a news station a video of the murder, then you have his daughter sharing an image of Ahmaud’s bullet-ridden body on Snapchat,” Merritt said. “It’s deeply disturbing behavior.”

Lindsay has defended her brother and father, saying they never “meant to kill anybody” and always “loved” her non-white boyfriends.

She said she was in her pajamas watching a movie when the shooting took place, and said her brother “was looking desperate” when she saw him.

“I’ve seen my brother in his happiest moments — I was there when his child was born and I’ve seen him in distress and I know that look,” she told the Sun. “It wasn’t like some glory thing, like, ‘I stalked and then got the kill that I was hoping for.'”

She said the family has gotten threats to rape and kill them since the shooting.

“We’re not the ones on trial here — my dad and my brother are and yes, I don’t think that they were beating the hood of the truck and saying, ‘Let’s go get this person,'” Lindsay McMichael said. “I think that things just really escalated.”

“I just want people to realize we’re not monsters,” she said.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Innocent.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    They arrested the camera man and charged him with murder.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (05-22-2020)