#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Obvious Mortgage delinquencies increased at record rates in April

Kathleen Pender - San Francisco Chronicle

More than 3.6 million homeowners nationwide were past due on their mortgages at the end of April, the most since January 2015, according to estimates issued Thursday by Black Knight, a mortgage-data company.

That’s an increase of 1.6 million since March, the largest single-month jump on record.

Nationally, 6.85% of mortgages were not current at the end of April, roughly double the 3.81% in that condition at the end of March. Not current means they were at least 30 days past due or in foreclosure. It includes past-due mortgages in forbearance programs, as well as those that were not in forbearance.

“California and the Bay Area have a far lower share of non-current loans than the national average, which contributed to a particularly high month-over-month change,” said Black Knight spokesman Mitch Cohen.

Statewide, 5.73% of homeowners were not current at the end of April, up from 2.16% at the end of March. However, that increase of 3.6 percentage points was the ninth highest of any state. The states with the largest increase were Nevada (5.2 percentage points) and New Jersey (5.1 points).

In the San Francisco metro area, non-current loans rose to 3.59% at the end of April, triple the 1.17% at the end of March. In San Jose, they jumped to 2.8% from 0.8%, according to Black Knight.

Among the 100 largest metro areas, the cities with the biggest jumps were Miami (+7.2 points), Las Vegas (+6.2 points) and New York City (+5.4 points).

Under the Cares Act, homeowners with mortgages backed by the federal government who can show a financial hardship as a result of the coronavirus can defer their payments for up to six months upon request, followed by an additional six months.

The missed payments still must be paid at some point, which was causing concern for some homeowners. Although borrowers could be forced to pay the full amount in a lump sum at the end of the forbearance period, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and the Federal Housing Administration said they wouldn’t do that on loans they guaranteed; they would give homeowners other options, such as extending the term or adding the missed payments to the loan balance.

On May 12, the Federal Housing Finance Agency announced another option for homeowners with loans backed by Fannie and Freddie: Those who could resume making their normal monthly mortgage payment could repay the missed payments at the time the home is sold, refinanced or at maturity. The FHA had previously offered a similar option for borrowers in Cares Act forbearance.

On Monday, the Mortgage Bankers Association said that the number of loans in forbearance increased from 7.91% of servicers’ portfolio volume in the prior week to 8.16% as of May 10. According to MBA’s estimate, 4.1 million homeowners are now in forbearance plans.

Black Knight, whose data includes loans backed by the government as well as non-government loans, noted that foreclose starts and foreclosure sales hit record lows in April “as moratoriums halted foreclosure activity across the country.”

The rate at which borrowers prepay their mortgages jumped 23% from March to hit the highest monthly prepayment rate in 16 years, as borrowers rushed to refinance their loans at lower rates.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    I'm ready to start buying foreclosures next year

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

Pony (05-28-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,740 Times in 4,205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    Definitely don't do it now just in case the election goes bad and the market totally tanks.

I just sold my house of 20 years. Gotta be out by June 17.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (05-28-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    The CMHC here in Canada said they expect prices to drop 9-18% in the next year or 18 months. I'm very tempted to sell my townhouse and wait for housing prices to drop, but that's a scary gamble.

It's pretty unprecedented for the CMHC to go out and publicly predict drops too... putting that kind of sentiment out there has some critics saying it could create a self fulfilling prophecy (case and point, people like me are waiting for the dip).

If only I could remember where I put my crystal ball