Thread: Brits swim in toxic pool riddled with carcasses and poo that feels 'like bleach'

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Gross Brits swim in toxic pool riddled with carcasses and poo that feels 'like bleach'

By Gareth Butterfield & David Rivers, Senior Reporter - The Daily Star

People have been spotted swimming in a toxic poo-riddled pool that is like "a bath of bleach".

Derbyshire Police have previously branded the Blue Lagoon as "probably the most dangerous water in the UK".

It is also home to carcasses, old cars and poo.

And its PH value is what makes it feel like swimming in a "bath of bleach".

But that didn't stop some people swimming in the Harpur Hill spot to enjoy Bank Holiday Monday's warm weather.

Danielle, 22 from Sheffield told DerbyshireLive: "My family has been coming here for years so I thought it would be busy but I didn't expect it to be this busy to be fair.

"We've just come down with the kids for a picnic but I don't think we'll stop for long. I can't believe how busy it is.

"I'm amazed people are swimming. The signs make it obvious how dangerous it is."

Earlier this year, national press criticised Derbyshire police for pouring black dye into the water to deter visitors.

Lord Sumption even called it “disgraceful”, saying: “This is what a police state is like, it is a state in which a government can issue orders or express preferences with no legal authority and the police will enforce ministers’ wishes."

The lake is, in fact, dyed black every year in an effort to make the site look less appealing to visitors, as the water is otherwise a lovely crystal blue colour.

Swimming in the pool feels like "bathing in bleach"

Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service put a post on Twitter this morning saying: “We’re aware of people continuing to visit Harpur Hill quarry, known locally as the Blue Lagoon.

“Did you know it gets its blue colour from toxic deposits seeping from the quarry stone and is the same PH value as bleach!

“Would you swim there? #StayAway ”

Derbyshire’s Chief Constable Peter Goodman previously said: “That area was a quarry near Buxton and the water in there looks like a very attractive blue because it is full of chemicals.

“It looks attractive, so lots of people go there.

“But it is probably the most dangerous water in the UK, experts say.

“It is highly alkaline and is full of chemicals. It is like going for a bath in bleach.

“Every year we have been trying to make it look less attractive so people won’t go there. It is not that coronavirus that has done this, we do it every year.”

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    anyone actually been injured?

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post