Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Protesters clash with Minneapolis cops after George Floyd’s death in police custody

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Per TMZ, the cop that was arrested is now facing an upgraded charge of second degree murder, this coming from US Senator Amy Klobuchar (D-MN)
    From a FOX News report:

Minnesota's Attorney General’s Office is expected to announce upgraded charges against Derek Chauvin, the white Minneapolis officer who knelt on George Floyd’s neck, and has added new charges against the three other officers at the scene.

Chauvin will now be charged with second-degree murder, The Star Tribune first reported. The other three officers involved -- Thomas Lane, J.A. Kueng and Tou Thao – will be charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder.

Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison is expected to hold a press conference Wednesday afternoon to announce further details.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (06-03-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Sounds like all 4 cops are in custody now.

I do have some sympathy for Thomas Lane. I've read he was on this beat for just 3 days, still on probation, working under Derek Chauvin who had 19 years experience. From a post online:

Lane had been on the force for just over a year and yet he still questioned Chauvin twice.

Lane asked “should we roll him on his side” and Chauvin allegedly responded: “That’s why we have him on his stomach.”

“I am worried about excited delirium or whatever," Lane said, according to the charging document, before Chauvin allegedly answered: “That’s why we have him on his stomach.”

Lane was worried about Excited Delirium - https://www.slideshare.net/citinfo/c...cited-delirium

Lane, a rookie, still remembered his training and questioned Chauvin, a veteran of nearly two decades, on his conduct. Not once, but twice even after being shot down the first time.

Have you ever spoken up to a superior who you know is doing something wrong? Have you done it twice after they tell you to shut up the first time? Maybe you have or could, but you can't say it's easy.

Did Lane do enough? Absolutely not. Should he be tried for the same crime as Chauvin, or even the other two cops? I don't believe so. Additionally, this information is even more damning for Chauvin. It proves that, not only did he act in a reckless and violent manner that resulted in the death of George Floyd, but he was consciously aware that he was flouting training, and of the risks of his actions AS HE WAS IN THE ACT, because even a rookie was warning him.

Had Chauvin possessed an ounce of human decency or the humility to listen to the rookie cop assisting him, George Floyd may still be alive today.

If Lane, as an unsure rookie, had the balls to physically tackle and restrain a veteran of nearly two decades during an active arrest, maybe George Floyd would still be alive.

However, that's an incredible thing to ask of someone.
    Not my words but interesting take. That's a tough one.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (06-04-2020), Teh One Who Knocks (06-04-2020)

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 863 Posts
    Here's my bottom line. I'm White and in my 67+ years, I have probably bought something in a convenience store well over 10,000 times. If I had gone in the store where Floyd went, and some clerk thought that maybe I paid with a counterfeit $20 bill and called the police, does anyone here honestly think I'd be approached and treated by FOUR policemen the same way Floyd was?

I might be accused of being a slow learner, but this incident really resonates with me. This is why I'm participating in my first protest today since the early 1970s.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to perrhaps For This Useful Post:

Godfather (06-04-2020), lost in melb. (06-04-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,562 Times in 5,212 Posts
    We feel it too Perhaps ( around the world and in Australia), something's not right.

Assuming that people with pigmented skin are just as human as capable with their thoughts and feelings as white folk, the fact that very many of them truly feel traumatized and stigmatized against on a regular basis, even though in theory they are equals does say something in my mind. I am no expert on the American situation, but we are probably just seeing the tip of the iceberg with these big news items of a regular occurrence (even at a much smaller level). Can't help think of 'Karen' in Central Park threatening that bird watcher as the perfect example.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Sounds like all 4 cops are in custody now.

I do have some sympathy for Thomas Lane. I've read he was on this beat for just 3 days, still on probation, working under Derek Chauvin who had 19 years experience. From a post online:

Not my words but interesting take. That's a tough one.
    In light of this, I feel bad for the rookie. If he takes on Chauvin any further, then it's 3 against 1. Maybe the other 2 don't get involved, but you better believe the rookie's gonna get a bunch of shit back at his precinct. Maybe Floyd survives, but the rookie's life just got 50 times worse. The police culture has to change.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Godfather (06-04-2020), Hikari Kisugi (06-04-2020), lost in melb. (06-04-2020), perrhaps (06-05-2020), Teh One Who Knocks (06-04-2020)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

NSFW Language

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (06-04-2020), Griffin (06-04-2020), RBP (06-04-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    She needs a larger platform to speak from.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffin For This Useful Post:

RBP (06-04-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    She needs a larger platform to speak from.
    I imagine she'll get one.. and soon.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by perrhaps View Post
    Here's my bottom line. I'm White and in my 67+ years, I have probably bought something in a convenience store well over 10,000 times. If I had gone in the store where Floyd went, and some clerk thought that maybe I paid with a counterfeit $20 bill and called the police, does anyone here honestly think I'd be approached and treated by FOUR policemen the same way Floyd was?

I might be accused of being a slow learner, but this incident really resonates with me. This is why I'm participating in my first protest today since the early 1970s.
    I would hope that depends entirely on your demeanor and reaction to being confronted by the Police and not your skin color. The cops I know wouldn't care if you're a 67+ year old white guy. If you are combative, aggressive, evasive and ready to fight your experience will likely go much different than if you're relaxed and calm. Not saying this was the case with this guy as I haven't watched the video but from what I have seen there is no excuse for what the officer did. He killed the guy. Period.

Would that same cop reacted differently if every circumstance went down exactly the same except it was a white suspect? There is really no way to know. Was it racism or a bad cop that went way too far?

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    I would hope that depends entirely on your demeanor and reaction to being confronted by the Police and not your skin color. The cops I know wouldn't care if you're a 67+ year old white guy. If you are combative, aggressive, evasive and ready to fight your experience will likely go much different than if you're relaxed and calm. Not saying this was the case with this guy as I haven't watched the video but from what I have seen there is no excuse for what the officer did. He killed the guy. Period.

Would that same cop reacted differently if every circumstance went down exactly the same except it was a white suspect? There is really no way to know. Was it racism or a bad cop that went way too far?
    I know what you're saying, but I do worry that's too dismissive of racism.

Here in Canada we have some startling statistics. In Ontario black people make up 1 in 10 but from 2013 to 2017, represented 36 of 125 of investigated police use-of-force cases that resulted in serious injury or death, and nine out of 15 police shootings that resulted in serious injury or death.

The stats for the indigenous population here are even worse. They make up under 5% of the population but over a quarter of incarcerations in Canada, and a third of all police shootings by the RCMP the past 10 years. Indigenous people are far more likely to be stopped and searched, they receive harsher sentences. It goes on like that. I think it probably mirrors some stats black people face down south (probably worse actually).

I still question the role of other factors. If we took away race and compared socioeconomic status what would the rates look like then? I'm not sure, but I doubt it would explain everything. Canadian policing is not the friendly mounted police cartoon people think it is.
    Last edited by Godfather; 06-04-2020 at 11:52 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    How's the crime distribution among races in Canada? Not trying to make excuses, I'm just curious.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Godfather (06-05-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Sorry, Dennis is on fire in this one. I don't think he's ever been this animated.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    How's the crime distribution among races in Canada? Not trying to make excuses, I'm just curious.
    That's what I was thinking too. Population alone doesn't matter unless you include crime stats. Police naturally are more focused in areas where the crime rate is higher.

Same thing if there's a white trash trailer park on the outskirts of an Asian community. The population numbers will show that 5% of the people are "unfairly" being "targeted" by the police.
    Last edited by Pony; 06-05-2020 at 02:07 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (06-05-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post

I still question the role of other factors. If we took away race and compared socioeconomic status what would the rates look like then? I'm not sure, but I doubt it would explain everything. Canadian policing is not the friendly mounted police cartoon people think it is.
    Sorry didn't originally read your entire comment. Yes, statistically lower income areas have much higher crime rates regardless of race. Is their still racism involved in some of the cases? I'd bet absolutely. Is is systemic and at the level that it's reported to be? IMO, not even close.

In the past it was a LOT more prevalent and blatant. Culturally has this had an effect on how certain populations trust and react when dealing with police? This got me thinking of some of the isolated communities in Alaska where they have serious mistrust in any police presence in their communities.

Also since I posted that I read about how the cop and the man he killed worked for the same place for a year and possibly knew each other. Also the bar owner at that place said that the cop was aggressive, quick to anger and often resorted to pepper spray or his tazer when it may not have been warranted. Possibly more so with black patrons.
    Last edited by Pony; 06-05-2020 at 02:10 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

Godfather (06-05-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    DAYUM...Candace is on a roll. " Do stupid things win stupid prizes!"