Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Protesters clash with Minneapolis cops after George Floyd’s death in police custody

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,562 Times in 5,212 Posts
    I know almost nothing about the black separatist movements. Never hear about them in the mainstream media.

Wouldn't African countries be a good indication of how this might work

Just kidding...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

RBP (06-13-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    I know almost nothing about the black separatist movements. Never hear about them in the mainstream media.

Wouldn't African countries be a good indication of how this might work

Just kidding...
    Funny how that works, eh? 250 black separatist groups, 150 white nationalist groups. Huh.

I am no fan of the SPLC, but here you go.

https://www.splcenter.org/hate-map
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Goofy (06-13-2020), lost in melb. (06-13-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    I think we disagree a bit here. I feel what you say and how you say it can do just as much damage in terms of inciting others, as the act itself. (I'm not necessarily saying that speech should be censored because of this).
    Well here's the problem. I was raised to "turn the other cheek" ignore and disregard things that offend me. Be tolerant of others views even if I strongly disagree with them. Somehow we've shifted to a society that even the smallest word or action, even done 20 years ago is an excuse to be violent, vengeful (cancel culture) and incite the people into action.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (06-13-2020), KevinD (06-14-2020), RBP (06-13-2020), Teh One Who Knocks (06-13-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

Muddy (06-14-2020), RBP (06-13-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    Well here's the problem. I was raised to "turn the other cheek" ignore and disregard things that offend me. Be tolerant of others views even if I strongly disagree with them. Somehow we've shifted to a society that even the smallest word or action, even done 20 years ago is an excuse to be violent, vengeful (cancel culture) and incite the people into action.

Problem is they do, and a few on the other side as well.

If everybody was raised as well as well as our little group then everything would be fine. Unfortunately not so...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

RBP (06-13-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks

Atlanta police officer shoots a black man dead at a fast-food drive-thru, authorities say

(CNN)The Georgia Bureau of Investigation says surveillance video appears to show a man pointing a Taser at an Atlanta police officer before being shot by that officer in the parking lot of a Wendy's.
    The GBI identified the man as Rayshard Brooks, 27, of Atlanta, who was African American.

The incident began with a call to police at 10:33 p.m. Friday about a man sleeping in a parked vehicle in the restaurant's drive-thru lane, causing other customers to drive around it, the GBI said in a statement.

Police gave Brooks a field sobriety test, which he failed, the GBI said. He resisted arrest and struggled with officers, the GBI said.

GBI Director Vic Reynolds said Saturday that his department obtained surveillance video of the incident from Wendy's and reviewed video witnesses posted on social media.

Surveillance video shows Brooks struggling with one of the officers, then running away with what appears to be the officer's Taser, Reynolds said.

According to the video, Brooks ran the length of about five to seven parking spaces before turning around and pointing the Taser at the officer, Reynolds said.

"At that point, the Atlanta officer reaches down and retrieves his weapon from his holster, discharges it, strikes Mr. Brooks there on the parking lot and he goes down," Reynolds said.

Brooks was taken to a hospital, where he died, the statement said. One officer was treated for an injury and released, the GBI said.

CNN has reached out to the Atlanta Police Department and the mayor's office but they have not responded.

GBI said surveillance video of the incident will be released to the public Saturday. Reynolds said the agency is working to digitally enhance the video.

Brooks' killing comes during global protests and discussion of racism and police use of force following the death of George Floyd last month in custody in Minneapolis. Atlanta has seen frequent protests, including some that turned violent.

Six Atlanta police officers are facing charges of using excessive force during one protest, Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard announced June 2. Two of the officers were fired by Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms.

'I thought Atlanta was higher than that'

At the Wendy's in southeast Atlanta, Decatur Redd, who said he is a relative of Brooks, spoke with reporters and a crowd of people.

"I don't know how to do this because I never knew that I was going to have to do this," Redd said. "I've watched this on the internet, from the whole George Floyd situation to us coming together like we're doing and this whole thing landed on my doorstep with my little cousin.

"I thought Atlanta was higher than that. I thought Atlanta was bigger than that," Redd said.

"We've been watching this happen for so many years, with young black boys around the country just dying in vain," Redd said. "I just don't want that to continue and keep happening like that."

Former Democratic gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams called for restricting the use of deadly force in a post on Twitter.

"The killing of #RayshardBrooks in Atlanta last night demands we severely restrict the use of deadly force. Yes, investigations must be called for - but so too should accountability," Abrams wrote. "Sleeping in a drive-thru must not end in death."

The Georgia NAACP said Atlanta Police Chief Erika Shields should be fired immediately.

"The city of Atlanta must not only address this with their words, but also their actions," said President James Woodall in a media call.

District attorney investigating

The GBI is investigating at the request of the APD. Once completed, the case will be turned over to prosecutors for review.

Howard, the district attorney, issued a statement Saturday afternoon.

"My office has already launched an intense, independent investigation of the incident," Howard said. "Members of the Fulton County District Attorney's Office were on scene shortly after the shooting, and we have been in investigative sessions ever since to identify all of the facts and circumstances surrounding this incident."

CNN affiliate WSB reports this is the 48th police shooting the GBI has investigated in 2020.

================================================== ====================

The ATL is going to light up tonight.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (06-13-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    (CNN) Abrams wrote. "Sleeping in a drive-thru must not end in death."
    How about aiming a weapon at a cop you ignorant cunt?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Griffin For This Useful Post:

RBP (06-13-2020), Teh One Who Knocks (06-13-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The ATL mayor just canned the police chief, called the shooting unjustified, and called for the officer to be fired.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (06-13-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    That's crazy

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    The ATL mayor just canned the police chief, called the shooting unjustified, and called for the officer to be fired.
    The AP is saying the Chief "resigned".

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    I wouldn't wear a badge trying to protect this thankless society. By the time these liberal asshats finish dismantling what took 3 centuries to build the country won't have anything left to believe in.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffin For This Useful Post:

RBP (06-13-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    The AP is saying the Chief "resigned".
    Yes. That's what the mayor said also. Uh huh.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I'm not going to post it all here, but this is definitely worth the read. It is a well-stated view that matches my perspective on all this.

Twitter thread reader version: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...606687233.html

Pastebin archive: http://archive.is/bzTpa

Edit: I did fact check a couple things. The criminal history of Floyd is correct. The #defund donations going to Biden is a myth.
    Last edited by RBP; 06-14-2020 at 04:33 AM. Reason: added fact check

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (06-13-2020), Griffin (06-13-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    I'm not going to post it all here, but this is definitely worth the read. It is a well-stated view that matches my perspective on all this.

Twitter thread reader version: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...606687233.html

Pastebin archive: http://archive.is/bzTpa

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

RBP (06-13-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    London

27. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

RBP (06-14-2020)