Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Protesters clash with Minneapolis cops after George Floyd’s death in police custody

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Minnesota Officials Link Arrested Looters to White Supremacist Groups

https://www.courthousenews.com/minne...emacist-groups

(CN) – As Minneapolis underwent a fourth night of protests over the death of George Floyd, Minnesota Governor Tim Walz said Saturday that most rioters arrested are from outside of the city and sought to take advantage of the chaos.

In a press conference held in the early hours of Saturday morning, Gov. Walz said he is authorizing “full mobilization” of the state’s National Guard, adding 1,000 National Guard to join the 700 already there, calling it “an action that has never been taken in the 164 year history of the Minnesota National Guard.”

“Our goal is to decimate that force as quickly as possible,” Walz said of rioters who looted and burned buildings. “Our cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul are under assault.”

Later in the day, Walz said 2,500 guardsmen and women would be activated. He said about 80% of those arrested for looting and vandalism could be outside agitators.

“Our great cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul are under assault by people who do not share our values, who do not value life and the work that went into this and are certainly not here to honor George Floyd,” Walz said. “They need to see today that that line will stop and order needs to be restored.”

“Let’s be very clear, the situation in Minneapolis is no longer in any way about the murder of George Floyd,” he added.

St. Paul Mayor Melvin Carter said most of the arrests made last night were of people from out of state and while “there’s a group of folks that are sad and mourning,” he said “there seems to be another group that are using Mr. Floyd’s death as a cover to create havoc.”

Department of Safety Commissioner John Harrington said they are contact-tracing the arrested and added that an investigation is underway about white nationalist groups posting online to encourage their members to use the protests as a cover to create chaos.

He said some of the 40 arrests made in the Twin Cities Friday night were of people linked to white supremacist groups and organized crime.

“The people that are doing this are not Minneapolis residents,” Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey said. “They are coming largely from outside the city outside the region to prey on everything we have built.”

On Saturday afternoon, President Donald Trump said military police were ready to deploy to Minneapolis if the governor asked.

“We have our military ready, willing and able, if they ever want to call our military. We can have troops on the ground very quickly,” Trump told reporters at the White House. “They’re using their National Guard right now, as you know.”

While the military is prohibited from acting as domestic law enforcement, the Insurrection Act of 1807 give state officials the ability to call for their help.

Protests have spread across the country this week after a police officer was shown on video pushing his knee into the back of Floyd as Floyd begged to be released and that he couldn’t breathe. He was pronounced dead an hour later.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    7 hr 17 min ago
    Most protesters are not Minneapolis or St. Paul residents, mayors say

From CNN's Elise Hammond
    WCCO
    WCCO

Mayor Jacob Frey said the people who are coming to Minneapolis to protest are not residents and are "coming in largely from outside the city."

"Our Minneapolis residents are scared and rightfully so. We've seen longterm institutional businesses overridden. We've seen community institutions set on fire. And I want to be very, very clear. The people that are doing this are not Minneapolis residents," he said at a news briefing on Saturday.

He said the protests earlier this week that were mostly peaceful and were largely attended by those who lived in the city, but "the dynamic has changed."

"Gradually that shift was made and we saw more and more people coming from outside of the city. We saw more and more people looking to cause violence in our communities, and I have to say, it is not acceptable," Frey said.

"This is no longer about verbal expression. This is about violence and we need to make sure that it stops," he added.

St. Paul Mayor Melvin Carter said everyone who was arrested in his city last night was from outside the state.

"What we are seeing right now is a group of people who are not from here," he said.

There were roughly 20 arrests made in St. Paul last night, mostly for burglary, and roughly the same number of arrests in Minneapolis for curfew violations and destruction of property, said John Harrington, commissioner of the Minnesota Department of Public Safety.
    Thanks. There's a substantial difference between people coming in from the outside, and people being bused in for a coordinated effort to cause violence. Nothing in that article mentions people being bused in.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Minnesota Officials Link Arrested Looters to White Supremacist Groups

https://www.courthousenews.com/minne...emacist-groups

(CN) – As Minneapolis underwent a fourth night of protests over the death of George Floyd, Minnesota Governor Tim Walz said Saturday that most rioters arrested are from outside of the city and sought to take advantage of the chaos.

In a press conference held in the early hours of Saturday morning, Gov. Walz said he is authorizing “full mobilization” of the state’s National Guard, adding 1,000 National Guard to join the 700 already there, calling it “an action that has never been taken in the 164 year history of the Minnesota National Guard.”

“Our goal is to decimate that force as quickly as possible,” Walz said of rioters who looted and burned buildings. “Our cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul are under assault.”

Later in the day, Walz said 2,500 guardsmen and women would be activated. He said about 80% of those arrested for looting and vandalism could be outside agitators.

“Our great cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul are under assault by people who do not share our values, who do not value life and the work that went into this and are certainly not here to honor George Floyd,” Walz said. “They need to see today that that line will stop and order needs to be restored.”

“Let’s be very clear, the situation in Minneapolis is no longer in any way about the murder of George Floyd,” he added.

St. Paul Mayor Melvin Carter said most of the arrests made last night were of people from out of state and while “there’s a group of folks that are sad and mourning,” he said “there seems to be another group that are using Mr. Floyd’s death as a cover to create havoc.”

Department of Safety Commissioner John Harrington said they are contact-tracing the arrested and added that an investigation is underway about white nationalist groups posting online to encourage their members to use the protests as a cover to create chaos.

He said some of the 40 arrests made in the Twin Cities Friday night were of people linked to white supremacist groups and organized crime.

“The people that are doing this are not Minneapolis residents,” Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey said. “They are coming largely from outside the city outside the region to prey on everything we have built.”

On Saturday afternoon, President Donald Trump said military police were ready to deploy to Minneapolis if the governor asked.

“We have our military ready, willing and able, if they ever want to call our military. We can have troops on the ground very quickly,” Trump told reporters at the White House. “They’re using their National Guard right now, as you know.”

While the military is prohibited from acting as domestic law enforcement, the Insurrection Act of 1807 give state officials the ability to call for their help.

Protests have spread across the country this week after a police officer was shown on video pushing his knee into the back of Floyd as Floyd begged to be released and that he couldn’t breathe. He was pronounced dead an hour later.
    I heard that this morning from Minnesota mentioning white supremacists. Don't buy it. Feels contrived and a deflection. May they be fanning the flames on line... sure. But on the ground? Eh.

Even the "outside agitators" gives me pause. It's awfully convenient for both sides. Shields locals from blame and emboldens enforcement at the same time.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    I heard that this morning from Minnesota mentioning white supremacists. Don't buy it. Feels contrived and a deflection. May they be fanning the flames on line... sure. But on the ground? Eh.

Even the "outside agitators" gives me pause. It's awfully convenient for both sides. Shields locals from blame and emboldens enforcement at the same time.
    It really reminds me of the Stanley Cup riots we had here.

People instantly claimed "the real rioters all came from Surrey not Vancouver, and pre-planned the riot before the team lost."

Makes some people feel better I guess. Probably something in our nature.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

RBP (05-31-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    It really reminds me of the Stanley Cup riots we had here.

People instantly claimed "the real rioters all came from Surrey not Vancouver, and pre-planned the riot before the team lost."

Makes some people feel better I guess. Probably something in our nature.
    And it's 30+ cities, all with outside agitators?

Do they release the riot hounds from the anarchist communes to spread destruction across the land?

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    And it's 30+ cities, all with outside agitators?

Do they release the riot hounds from the anarchist communes to spread destruction across the land?
    Apparently it's Russia's fault now

">

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

RBP (05-31-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    7 pm interstates all through minneapolis and st. paul are closed
    8 pm curfew started - still tons of people in the streets and no police/military presence to speak of to disperse them... here we go again

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,562 Times in 5,212 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deebakes View Post
    7 pm interstates all through minneapolis and st. paul are closed
    8 pm curfew started - still tons of people in the streets and no police/military presence to speak of to disperse them... here we go again
    Do you live there??

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    i'm from northern minnesota, both my brother and sister and their families live in suburbs of the twin cities. i currently live in rochester, about 80 miles south of minneapolis/st paul

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deebakes For This Useful Post:

Godfather (05-31-2020), KevinD (05-31-2020), lost in melb. (05-31-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deebakes View Post
    i'm from northern minnesota, both my brother and sister and their families live in suburbs of the twin cities. i currently live in rochester, about 80 miles south of minneapolis/st paul
    Still, that's close...

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks

Joe passes a molotov cocktail to Bob, realising he's ANITIFA. Bob, realises he's just accepted a precious gift from a WHITE SUPREMACIST. They look at each other for a moment, shrug and grimace a toothless grin. Why spoil it when you're having sooo much fun

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    major police/national guard presence, seems like it will be much calmer tonight

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deebakes For This Useful Post:

Godfather (05-31-2020), lost in melb. (05-31-2020)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts
    Even with the curfew in Denver last night, more fires, looting, and property damage during the protests riots last night. Did seem to wrap up earlier than the last couple of nights though.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (05-31-2020)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (06-01-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    National guard don't fuck around.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

RBP (06-01-2020)