Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trump signs social media executive order that calls for removal of liability protections over 'censoring'

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts

News Trump signs social media executive order that calls for removal of liability protections over 'censoring'

Flanked by Attorney General Bill Barr, President Trump signed an executive order in the Oval Office on Thursday that interprets Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act of 1996 (CDA) as not providing statutory liability protections for tech companies that engage in censorship and political conduct.

The president's order, which also cuts federal funding for social media platforms that censor users' political views, came just two days after Twitter took the unprecedented step of slapping a "misleading" warning label on two of Trump's tweets concerning the fraud risks of nationwide mail-in balloting. The move immediately backfired: Experts disputed that Trump's tweet was actually misleading, in part because mail-in balloting has been linked to ongoing fraud; Twitter's fact-check itself contained false statements; and Twitter failed to apply the standard of review to other users.

At Thursday's signing ceremony, Trump called the fact-check "egregious," and held up a photo of Twitter executive Yoel Roth, who heads up the site's fact-checking and rules-making operation. Fox News reported on Wednesday that Roth has mocked Trump supporters, called Trump's team "ACTUAL NAZIS," slammed "scary trannies" in New York City, and called GOP Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell a "bag of farts." (In a statement, Twitter did not dispute Fox News' reporting, but called it "unfortunate.")

"My executive order calls for new regulations under Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act to make it so that social media companies that engage in censoring any political conduct will not be able to keep their liability shield," the president said.

He added: "My executive order further instructs the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to prohibit social media companies from engaging in any deceptive acts or practices affecting commerce. This commerce resides in Section 5 of the Federal Trade Commission Act. ... Additionally, I'm directing the attorney general to work cooperatively with the states ... to enforce their own laws against such deceptive business practices. The states have broad and powerful authority to regulate in this arena."

Under the CDA, platforms are ordinarily not liable for users' defamatory or otherwise problematic posts, while publishers that actively shape and create content do face liability. (Copyright law, which has a strong constitutional foundation, ordinarily does require sites like Twitter to remove offending content, or face liability.)

The CDA, which was drafted in the Internet's early stages to guard against offensive material while also encouraging an open Internet, states: "No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider. ... No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be held liable on account of ... any action voluntarily taken in good faith to restrict access to or availability of material that the provider or user considers to be obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy, excessively violent, harassing, or otherwise objectionable, whether or not such material is constitutionally protected."

Although the "good faith" standard is ambiguous, UCLA law professor Eugene Volokh has noted that some case law suggests that "blocking material ostensibly because it's offensive but really because it's from your business rival might well be seen as being not in good faith," while "blocking material that you really do think is offensive to many of your users (much like sexually themed or excessively violent or harassing material is offensive to many of your users) seems to be quite consistent with good faith."

Trump's order instructs the federal government to interpret and apply the CDA, as agencies typically do when laws give them that flexibility. "It is the policy of the United States that the scope of that immunity should be clarified: the immunity should not extend beyond its text and purpose to provide protection for those who purport to provide users a forum for free and open speech, but in reality use their power over a vital means of communication to engage in deceptive or pretextual actions stifling free and open debate by censoring certain viewpoints," the order states.

Volokh, for his part, argued that while there could be an argument that providers act in "bad faith" when they remove content they don't truly find objectionable, it would be a nonstarter to argue that removing "offensive" content necessarily transforms a platform into a publisher.

However, Trump made his position on the matter clear. "The choices that Twitter makes when it chooses to suppress, edit, blacklist, shadowban are editorial decisions, pure and simple," Trump said. "In those moments Twitter ceases to be a neutral public platform and they become an editor with a viewpoint."

Indeed, the executive order reads: "It is the policy of the United States to ensure that, to the maximum extent permissible under the law, this provision is not distorted to provide liability protection for online platforms that — far from acting in 'good faith' to remove objectionable content — instead engage in deceptive or pretextual actions (often contrary to their stated terms of service) to stifle viewpoints with which they disagree."

"Section 230 was not intended to allow a handful of companies to grow into titans controlling vital avenues for our national discourse under the guise of promoting open forums for debate, and then to provide those behemoths blanket immunity when they use their power to censor content and silence viewpoints that they dislike," the order adds.

The White House had discussed a social media executive order for the past several months, and lawmakers -- including GOP Sens. Marco Rubio and Josh Hawley -- have increasingly sought CDA reforms.

On Thursday, Trump pointed out that some Democrats agreed with him. Former Vice President Biden, in a January interview with The New York Times, said that Section 230 “should be revoked, immediately should be revoked” because Facebook “is propagating falsehoods they know to be false, and we should be setting standards not unlike the Europeans are doing relative to privacy.”

Also at the signing ceremony, Trump openly said he would "shut down" Twitter if he could legally. He also called out Facebook's new oversight "tribunal" for hiring Pamela Karlan, the anti-Trump professor who testified at his impeachment hearing.

"Finally, I'm directing my administration to develop policies and procedures to ensure taxpayer dollars are not going to any social media company that suppresses free speech," Trump said. They're rich enough."

"What they're doing is tantamount to monopoly, to taking over the airwaves," Trump said. "Can't let it happen. Or else we're not gonna have a democracy."

On Wednesday, however, the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals handed Twitter and other tech giants an early win on the issue, finding that in the absence of state action, there can be no First Amendment violation. The court also did not find a Sherman Antitrust Act violation, even though the plaintiffs alleged that big tech was conspiring to advance a left-wing agenda in restraint of commerce.

The president had teased the executive order Thursday morning, saying: “This will be a Big Day for Social Media and FAIRNESS!”

Fox News is told that, separately, the administration is working on a commission to look at alleged anti-conservative bias among big social media platforms.

Meanwhile, Republicans were waging a broad, all-out war against what they perceive as pervasive Silicon Valley bias. Several Republican lawmakers suggested on Thursday they will soon take action against Reddit, saying the influential Internet message board systematically singled out, censored, and destroyed a once-popular pro-Trump "subreddit," or subforum, known as "r/The_Donald."

And, Vox reported on Wednesday that big tech billionares are fighting back against Republican efforts, in part because of Joe Biden's struggling operation. The outlet said LinkedIn founder Reid Hoffman, Facebook co-founder Dustin Moskovitz, Laurene Powell Jobs, and ex-Google CEO Eric Schmidt were leading the charge -- sometimes upsetting Democratic operatives, who had wanted to run their own operation.

Hoffman has been a big financial backer of MotiveAI, which has been linked to spreading overtly fake news. For example, The Daily Beast reported that four Colorado-based companies "associated with MotiveAI" used "50 seemingly independent Facebook pages to purchase ads in 2018" -- including a page that suggested Brett Kavanaugh "had helped Bill and Hillary Clinton cover up the murder of a White House aide."

Hoffman alone has also dumped approximately $10 million into Acronym, which backed the company Shadow -- which, in turn, was behind the disastrous Iowa caucus app.

According to Vox, Acronym hopes to secure another $25 million "to set up seven of its own media properties in swing states, creating local news sites that portray moderate Democratic candidates in a favorable light, but appear to be objective, homespun outlets."

Fox News' John Roberts and Brooke Singman contributed to this report.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...edia-companies

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    about fucking time!

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    "My executive order calls for new regulations under Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act to make it so that social media companies that engage in censoring any political conduct will not be able to keep their liability shield," the president said.

Okay where am I off here guys.

Someone in power sees a private company is blatantly biased. You can't require a private entity acts politically 'neutral' - obviously that's a flagrant free speech violation.

Instead you alter/interpret Section 230 to allow the government to create a liability threat for social media companies the *government* deems 'deceptive.' They'll do this by deleting a website's immunity to being sued for content - which currently exists because social media is considered a 'platform', not publishers.

"[The] order would direct the Federal Trade Commission to report on complaints about political bias collected by the White House and to consider bringing lawsuits against companies accused of violating the administration's interpretation of Section 230."
    So the government would kneecap select private platforms for political bias, as they define it?

In the vid DGX posts the guy says this order is so "Twitter can't infringe upon your free speech'".. Is he a lawyer? I don't think he's representing what free speech is. The First Amendment is so Congress can't make laws that infringe on free speech or press -it is not so I can demand a private news outlet or social media platform publishes whatever I say 'because free speech'. Twitter is a private platform... Free speech is Twitter having control over their private platform (or a baker not making a gay couple their cake) is it not??

Granted, Section 230 doesn't have to exist granting immunity to social media platforms, it's not in the Constitution - but a law that allows the government to selectively remove immunity based on what the government deems 'political bias?' Is that not a thinly veiled threat to the First Amendment? I see the arguments made defending this order in the article but it still feels muddy to me.

---
    One separate point I'll make. If this law does pass and Twitter is now liable for their user's shitposts - won't this actually make them more aggressive in moderating? I work in risk management, so if a business is at risk of being sued over the comment section, I'd just start laying out bans left and right. Says right in Terms of Service for social media you can be banned "for any or no reason."
    Last edited by Godfather; 05-29-2020 at 07:19 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

perrhaps (05-29-2020)

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,278 Times in 863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Okay where am I off here guys.

Someone in power sees a private company is blatantly biased. You can't require a private entity acts politically 'neutral' - obviously that's a flagrant free speech violation.

Instead you alter/interpret Section 230 to allow the government to create a liability threat for social media companies the *government* deems 'deceptive.' They'll do this by deleting a website's immunity to being sued for content - which currently exists because social media is considered a 'platform', not publishers.

So the government would kneecap select private platforms for political bias, as they define it?

In the vid DGX posts the guy says this order is so "Twitter can't infringe upon your free speech'".. Is he a lawyer? I don't think he's representing what free speech is. The First Amendment is so Congress can't make laws that infringe on free speech or press -it is not so I can demand a private news outlet or social media platform publishes whatever I say 'because free speech'. Twitter is a private platform... Free speech is Twitter having control over their private platform (or a baker not making a gay couple their cake) is it not??

Granted, Section 230 doesn't have to exist granting immunity to social media platforms, it's not in the Constitution - but a law that allows the government to selectively remove immunity based on what the government deems 'political bias?' Is that not a thinly veiled threat to the First Amendment? I see the arguments made defending this order in the article but it still feels muddy to me.

---
    One separate point I'll make. If this law does pass and Twitter is now liable for their user's shitposts - won't this actually make them more aggressive in moderating? I work in risk management, so if a business is at risk of being sued over the comment section, I'd just start laying out bans left and right. Says right in Terms of Service for social media you can be banned "for any or no reason."
    Trump can proclaim himself the Queen of England and it will have exactly as much legal impact. But you're correct, in that the wisest thing Twitter can do right now is to change its Terms of Service; make all users agree and accept the change before tweeting again, and then ban users if finds offensive. Requiring Trump to express coherent thoughts beyond 140 characters long would be an apt resolution.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to perrhaps For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (05-30-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    You can't require them to be politically neutral, but you can remove their protections if they aren't. We didn't have to give them a liability shield, and they're certainly not entitled to it. By definition, these social media platforms were originally intended to be used by everyone, regardless of political opinion. That was the point of social media to begin with. Even if they disagreed with the political opinion posted on their platform, they left it alone. Social media companies aren't doing that anymore. It's wrong. They're not supposed to pick winners. If they're only allowing the posts they agree with, then by definition, they're publishers. That's what publishers do. They pick and choose the content they think the public will digest. A publicly open platform isn't supposed to do that. You know, back in the day when all this social media crap started, political bias wasn't even an issue..

Are you gonna argue with me about what free speech is? No, he's not a lawyer, but he understands the concept of free speech better than you do. I'm not a lawyer, and you and I both know that I understand what free speech is better than you do. You don't have to be a lawyer to understand or speak on law. We do it on this forum all the freaking time. You want to attack him on whether or not he's a lawyer because you disagree with his stance? I hate to break the news to you buddy, but according to your own logic, you're not a lawyer either, so that invalidates your opinion on all legal matters past, present, and future. You're not an American lawyer either, so you've got nothing to say on matters of American law whatsoever. How does that make you feel?

Free speech is "you have the right to say whatever you damn well please, no one can stop you, and I don't have to like it, but I respect and will fight to the death for your right to say it.", which is exactly why we have to endure idiots like AOC and the squad and Colin Kaepernick. If you want to get into reasonable restrictions then we'll be here all day.

A baker not making a gay couples' cake has nothing to do with speech, it has to do with the free exercise of religion, another provision in the First Amendment. I'm not even going to give you a nice try on that one, Canadian.

And no, it's not a thinly veiled attack on the First Amendment, they can still do whatever the fuck they want, but they're going to be facing litigation if they do. Either they allow free and unbiased political opinion to reign supreme on their platform and enjoy the liability protections they had before they decided to become a publisher and play favorites, or adios muchachos. See you in court over and over and over again.
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 05-29-2020 at 10:44 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by perrhaps View Post
    Trump can proclaim himself the Queen of England and it will have exactly as much legal impact. But you're correct, in that the wisest thing Twitter can do right now is to change its Terms of Service; make all users agree and accept the change before tweeting again, and then ban users if finds offensive. Requiring Trump to express coherent thoughts beyond 140 characters long would be an apt resolution.
    If you start laying out bans left and right, then people will get wise and stop using your platform. They'll find something else where the rules aren't so cut throat. Just sayin'.

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    If you start laying out bans left and right, then people will get wise and stop using your platform. They'll find something else where the rules aren't so cut throat. Just sayin'.
    True, but now these new platforms apparently (at least in Trump's mind) won't have any liability protection. If someone were to baselessly infer that a morning TV host murdered someone, then the new site(s) could be sued for libel.

By the bye, the CDA is an act of Congress. Both Obama and Trump have this nasty habit of trying to overturn acts of Congress by Executive Order.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by perrhaps View Post
    True, but now these new platforms apparently (at least in Trump's mind) won't have any liability protection. If someone were to baselessly infer that a morning TV host murdered someone, then the new site(s) could be sued for libel.

By the bye, the CDA is an act of Congress. Both Obama and Trump have this nasty habit of trying to overturn acts of Congress by Executive Order.
    Or they could quit pushing their own biased narrative and stop censoring those they disagree with and keep their protections.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffin For This Useful Post:

Pony (05-30-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,558 Times in 5,209 Posts
    The whole thing is just Trump playing reactive.

But, I do wonder why Twitter started censoring now. And also, they now need to apply the same standards to everyone else

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post

But, I do wonder why Twitter started censoring now. And also, they now need to apply the same standards to everyone else
    I think that's the whole problem. They shouldn't flag content only when it's related to Conservatives. Either they are consistent with their censorship or none at all.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

KevinD (05-30-2020), lost in melb. (05-30-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post

You don't think it has anything to do with how they applaud Colin Kaepernick rallying for a revolution? Or news anchors, actors and other athletes stating Trump needs to die on a daily basis but when The President mentions anything about the travesty in Minneapolis his tweets are blocked for glorifying violence?

I believe that if you can't see the double standards you too are wearing the liberal blinders hobbling every step the President has had to make since placed in office.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffin For This Useful Post:

KevinD (06-03-2020)

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Or they could quit pushing their own biased narrative and stop censoring those they disagree with and keep their protections.
    I wouldn't care if Twitter; Facebook; Instagram and all their ilk closed down permanently. Personally, I prefer more traditional ways of wasting time and being absolutely useless.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to perrhaps For This Useful Post:

Griffin (05-31-2020), Hikari Kisugi (05-31-2020), lost in melb. (05-31-2020)

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    I think that's the whole problem. They shouldn't flag content only when it's related to Conservatives. Either they are consistent with their censorship or none at all.
    I don't quite understand why someone would expect the likes of twitter to be neutral, yet your media companies are clearly not, fox and cnn being somewhat opposing in their views?

Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX
    And no, it's not a thinly veiled attack on the First Amendment, they can still do whatever the fuck they want, but they're going to be facing litigation if they do.
    I don't really understand this, I thought that your first amendment allowed people to be free of he chance of liability due to freedom of speech. I know we do not have similar in the UK. I probably minunderstand how your system works.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikari Kisugi View Post
    I don't quite understand why someone would expect the likes of twitter to be neutral, yet your media companies are clearly not, fox and cnn being somewhat opposing in their views?
    Twitter, Facebook, etc is supposed to be a platform for the general user to express their views. In my opinion they shouldn't be censoring anything unless it's illegal. It should be 100% neutral. IF you have a policy that states certain content is not allowed you should have to be consistent in the removal of content that violates your own rules. Currently they are clearly not doing this.

Here at this forum the majority of us do lean conservative but we try to encourage civil debate. It doesn't always stay civil but we don't go selectively removing content of opinions we don't like and very rarely ban or reprimand anyone.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

KevinD (06-03-2020)