Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trump signs social media executive order that calls for removal of liability protections over 'censoring'

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You don't think it has anything to do with how they applaud Colin Kaepernick rallying for a revolution? Or news anchors, actors and other athletes stating Trump needs to die on a daily basis but when The President mentions anything about the travesty in Minneapolis his tweets are blocked for glorifying violence?

I believe that if you can't see the double standards you too are wearing the liberal blinders hobbling every step the President has had to make since placed in office.
    There's definitely a double standard. The number of anti-trump articles makes me feel nauseous. Just through repetition of the same thing. They don't offer anything new

But Trump did select (unknown to himself probably) quite a volatile quote. I also think his words have much more impact than Colin's.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

Pony (05-31-2020)

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    Twitter, Facebook, etc is supposed to be a platform for the general user to express their views. In my opinion they shouldn't be censoring anything unless it's illegal. It should be 100% neutral. IF you have a policy that states certain content is not allowed you should have to be consistent in the removal of content that violates your own rules. Currently they are clearly not doing this.

Here at this forum the majority of us do lean conservative but we try to encourage civil debate. It doesn't always stay civil but we don't go selectively removing content of opinions we don't like and very rarely ban or reprimand anyone.
    Ahh, i understand that point.

I thought they censored it as they claimed it promoted violence, wasn't it a quote about shooting looters?
    Or were there other censors too?

-for general info, i am relatively right wing also, but some things I see within the US just reek of division for the sake of it, rather than actual process, progress or law making, I've a hard time with BS, and I feel 90% of your (and most, certainly most of ours) politicians are incapable of anything but.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hikari Kisugi For This Useful Post:

KevinD (06-03-2020)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Update Twitter pledges focus on ‘context, not fact-checking’ after Trump targets social media

By Dom Calicchio | Fox News

In a series of messages Tuesday evening, Twitter said it has reviewed its “Twitter Safety” policies regarding messages that may be in violation of its content rules.

The operator of the popular microblogging platform said it will now focus on “context, not fact-checking” when deciding whether to rule a tweet to be in violation of its policies.

The series of messages came nearly a week after Twitter flagged a message posted by President Trump, saying the message had “violated the Twitter Rules about glorifying violence.”

The thread of messages also included a list of company principles posted by CEO Jack Dorsey.

“We are NOT attempting to address all misinformation,” Twitter says in one of the messages, posted under its Twitter Safety banner. “Instead, we prioritize based on the highest potential for harm, focusing on manipulated media, civic integrity, and COVID-19. Likelihood, severity and type of potential harm – along with reach and scale – factor into this.”

In his message last Thursday, Trump had included the phrase, “when the looting starts, the shooting starts,” which critics said was an allusion to the U.S. era of racial segregation and suppression.

After his message was flagged, Trump hit back at Twitter the next day, posting the same message via the official White House account in addition to Trump’s personal account.

In another of its messages Tuesday, Twitter wrote: “We also believe it’s important people can read and speak about what world leaders say, even if they violate our rules.” It then refers readers to a “public interest notice,” posted in October, that further outlines its policies.

Last week, President Trump issued an executive order intended to curb some of the legal protections currently shielding social media companies like Twitter from lawsuits.

“Twitter is targeting the President of the United States 24/7, while turning their heads to protest organizers who are planning, plotting, and communicating their next moves daily on this very platform,” White House official Dan Scavino wrote last Friday. Twitter is full of s--- - more and more people are beginning to get it.”

Meanwhile on Tuesday, a tech-focused civil liberties group filed a lawsuit, seeking to block Trump’s executive order to regulate social media.

In its lawsuit, the Center for Democracy and Technology claims Trump’s executive order is an act of revenge and violates the First Amendment rights of both tech companies and the general public, NPR reported.

Trump's order, signed last week, could allow more lawsuits against internet companies like Twitter and Facebook for what their users post, tweet and stream.