Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bankruptcy penny stock plays

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts

Bankruptcy penny stock plays

I have been mildly interested in what happens as companies, especially in the retail upheaval, go through bankruptcy. I have my own example, but there are a lot.

I dollar cost averaged down to $0.26 on JCP (now JCPNQ). They got past the first debt round, so far so good. Then something fascinating. The stock would go through some repetitive cycles. Down to $0.16 back to $0.25 (up 50% in a day). Rinse repeat. The day traders appeared to be having a field day. I held my position and watched. Then AMZ got involved. Then Sycamore partners. Bidding war coming? Not sure. Key hearing tomorrow in court (I hear), but today may bode well. The stock soared ahead of the hearing up to $0.63. I am now up 137% in 3 months. Still holding and deciding how long to ride this ride.

There are a ton of risky retail penny stocks in play. Some will be huge wins, some not. It's interesting to watch, but there's money to be made even on small positions like mine.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    I'd love to know more about it. Is there a stock market for Dummies guide?

I'm more of a big-moves guy. *put everything into stocks* * pull everything out and put into gold*

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

RBP (06-09-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Be careful.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

RBP (06-09-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

RBP (06-09-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

RBP (06-09-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    https://www.sec.gov/reportspubs/inve...nkrupthtm.html

You may want to read this one first.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

RBP (06-09-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    No doubt, DGX. It's a risk game, but there's also room for massive gains if your decisions prove out. Even on a day trading basis, there is some room to chart and watch the daily moves for repeated short term gains. It's not a buy and hold long term game at all.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The penny stock guys are a little nutty. https://stocktwits.com/symbol/jcp

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    I've played penny stocks before. I have a crapload of penny stocks that are worthless. It's not like I lost a lot of money or anything, but I can't do anything with them. Either they are no longer trading so I am stuck with them in perpetuity, or they are just completely worthless. So they just sit there in my brokerage account. I hit on NONE of the ones that I bought. But like I said, it's not like I'm out a lot of money or anything. Just trying to hit on that one stock that rebounds, but it's a huge crap shoot and takes a LOT of luck.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

KevinD (06-24-2020), RBP (06-09-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    No doubt, DGX. It's a risk game, but there's also room for massive gains if your decisions prove out. Even on a day trading basis, there is some room to chart and watch the daily moves for repeated short term gains. It's not a buy and hold long term game at all.
    How much are you looking to trade? SEC rules limit the amount of trades you can make if your account is less than $25K. If you make 3 day trades with less than the required minimum, then you're locked out for 3 days. If you make 3 day trades on Monday, then you can't access your account again until Thursday. There are ways around that (i.e. multiple accounts), but it can become a pain in the ass really fast.

Are you sure you want to do this with penny stocks? Have you looked into options, futures, or the Forex? The rules are different for these. You may want to check them out.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

RBP (06-11-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks

Popular bankruptcy stocks Hertz, JCPenney plummet as risk-loving investors cash out

• Popular bankruptcy plays Hertz and JCPenney plummeted as much as 38% and 34%, respectively, on Monday as investors secured massive gains.
    • Both stocks recently surged on an unexpected wave of interest from retail traders looking for quick profit amid bankruptcy proceedings.
    • The heavy volatility drove both companies higher over the last two trading sessions. Hertz leaped to $5.88 from 82 cents. JCPenney shares nearly quadrupled to 65 cents from 19 cents.

Hertz and JCPenney shares tanked on Tuesday after a monumental two-day rally fueled by swaths of carefree retail investors.

The debt-ridden rental car company plunged as much as 38% soon after markets opened before paring most losses. The retail giant slid 34% to intraday lows. Yet both major declines only erase some gains minted over the last few days.

Both companies have seen outsized trading volume in recent sessions as retail investors turn to newly bankrupt companies to ride a wave of volatility. Shareholders historically lose out when firms go bankrupt. Yet Robintrack, a website that tracks trading activity on popular discount brokerage Robinhood, shows investors flocking to the firms and their extremely low share prices.

Hertz traded around 82 cents as recently as June 3 after nosediving through the coronavirus pandemic and its late-May bankruptcy filing. The announcement drove a doubling of Robinhood users holding Hertz shares, and a continued rally from Thursday to Monday's close placed shares as high as $5.88 each.

JCPenney experienced a similar boost. After trading as low as 19 cents on Thursday, the stock doubled on Friday and soared even higher, to 65 cents, by Monday's close. The chain filed for bankruptcy on May 15, leaving experts flummoxed by the sudden explosion in retail interest.

The unconventional strategy relies on short-term gains or a miraculous recovery from heavy indebtedness. Bankruptcy proceedings often prioritize repayment of lawyers, suppliers, and bondholders before shareholders see a penny. The unexpected influx of retail traders defied convention and baffled more experienced investors, including industry giants like Carl Icahn.

The billionaire investor dumped a 39% stake in Hertz in late May when shares traded at 72 cents each. The sale represented a nearly $2 billion loss, yet in two weeks, the firm's shares rocketed more than 540%. Where Icahn lost, tens of thousands of Robinhood investors won.

Hertz traded at $4.77 per share as of 12:55 p.m. ET Tuesday, down 70% year-to-date.

JCPenney traded at 52 cents, down 53% year-to-date.

=================================

The day traders are having a field day. They ran JCP up for 91% gain, then dumped it. From what I have seen, the cycle is about to repeat.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    These are not long term holds.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (06-12-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The market is in free fall today and I am still net even. I sold some small buys to take another bankruptcy shot. Holding my own in JCPNQ and TOPS.

One I am eyeing that is not a penny stock but could be is CCL. Down 68% YTD to $16 with an estimate of $11-$13. 113M shares shorted. The largest Cruiseline isn't going anywhere and it's all COVID.

In my experiment, I have bought 9 stocks. I have sold 5 at a loss, 2 at a gain, and am holding the other 2 mentioned above but ready to sell. I am trying to decide on parameters for stop losses and gains triggers and then may expand a little.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Hey RBP you ever thought about trading options? Some guys have been making bank on puts the last little while. It's more complicated and riskier than penny stocks but you could definitely figure out how they work if you haven't already.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

RBP (06-27-2020)