Thread: Facebook to tag ‘harmful’ posts as boycott widens

Shelter Dweller In Training Placid's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks

Facebook to tag ‘harmful’ posts as boycott widens

Facebook has said it will start to label potentially harmful posts that it leaves up because of their news value.

The more hands-on approach comes as the social media firm is under pressure to improve how it moderates the content on its platform, including posts by US President Donald Trump.

More than 90 advertisers have joined a boycott of the site.

Consumer goods giant Unilever on Friday added its name to the list, citing a "polarized election period" in the US.

The maker of Dove soap and Ben & Jerry's ice cream said it would halt Twitter, Facebook and Instagram advertising in the US "at least" through 2020.

"Continuing to advertise on these platforms at this time would not add value to people and society," it said. "We will revisit our current position if necessary."

Ben & Jerry's joins Facebook ad boycott
    US phone giant Verizon joins Facebook ad boycott
    In a speech on Friday, Facebook boss Mark Zuckerberg defended the firm's record of taking down hate speech.

He pointed to a European Commission report this month that found Facebook removed 86% of hate speech last year, up from 82.6%.

What did Mark Zuckerberg say?

But he said the firm was tightening its policies to "address the reality of the challenges our country is facing and how they're showing up across our community".

He said the firm would ban ads that describe different groups, based on descriptors such as race or immigration status, as a threat. It will also remove content - even from a politician - if it determines that it incites violence or suppresses voting.

Mr Zuckerberg also said the firm will attach a label to "problematic" content that falls outside of those categories.

"A handful of times a year, we leave up content that would otherwise violate our policies if the public interest value outweighs the risk of harm," he said. "Often, seeing speech from politicians is in the public interest, and in the same way that news outlets will report what a politician says, we think people should generally be able to see it for themselves on our platforms.

"We will soon start labelling some of the content we leave up because it is deemed newsworthy, so people can know when this is the case," he said.

Twitter has already taken some similar steps, including banning advertisements from politicians and adding labels and warnings to some kinds of content,including tweets by Mr Trump.

"We have developed policies and platform capabilities designed to protect and serve the public conversation, and as always, are committed to amplifying voices from under-represented communities and marginalized groups," said Twitter executive Sarah Personette.

Shares of Facebook and Twitter both fell more than 7% on Friday.

Some boycott organisers said Mr Zuckerberg's promises did not go far enough.

"What we've seen in today's address from Mark Zuckerberg is a failure to wrestle with the harms [Facebook] has caused on our democracy & civil rights" said Color of Change president Rashad Robinson said.

"If this is the response he's giving to major advertisers withdrawing millions of dollars from the company, we can't trust his leadership," he wrote on Twitter.

Why are companies boycotting Facebook?

The "Stop Hate for Profit" campaign was started by US civil rights groups after the death of George Floyd in May while in police custody. It has focused on Facebook, which also owns Instagram; and WhatsApp and last year attracted advertising revenue of almost $70bn (£56.7bn).

The organisers, which include Color of Change and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, have said Facebook allows "racist, violent and verifiably false content to run rampant on its platform".

More than 90 companies including Verizon and Patagonia have joined the campaign, according to a list by ad activism group Sleeping Giants, one of the organisers.

Nicole Perrin, analyst at eMarketer, said it will be difficult to determine the financial impact of the boycott on Facebook, given the significant changes in advertising amid the pandemic.

But she said Unilever's announcement was significant, noting that the firm was dropping the ads for longer than called for, and on more platforms.

"That suggests a deeper problem with user-generated content platforms, as divisiveness is to be expected on any such platform that allows political expression," she said.

Article & More

I can't help but wonder in this matter how neutral will be the referee in what stays and what goes. Whose decision is it and can that decision be influenced???

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Placid For This Useful Post:

RBP (06-27-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Yes, who is the glorious arbiter of what is "hate". We have lost our respect for alternative views.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (06-28-2020), KevinD (06-28-2020), lost in melb. (06-27-2020), Placid (07-01-2020), PorkChopSandwiches (06-30-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

KevinD (06-28-2020), Placid (06-28-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,888 Posts
    To be fair(ish) nothing I've ever posted, shared, etc on FB has ever been blocked. That said, I do try to be sensible about what I post, as my company does monitor its employees social media.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Yes, who is the glorious arbiter of what is "hate". We have lost our respect for alternative views.
    .... and alternate facts?

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post

"...can we at least see perjury charges brought?..."

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    To be fair(ish) nothing I've ever posted, shared, etc on FB has ever been blocked. That said, I do try to be sensible about what I post, as my company does monitor its employees social media.
    I am not overly keen on the concept of employers being the arbiter of an employees personal views..... Hard place to be these days.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Placid For This Useful Post:

KevinD (06-28-2020), RBP (06-29-2020)

Riding this motherfucking beat like a tractor
    vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,192 Posts
    that^

anyone i work with asks me to add them on socials gets "i'm not on any social media"

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hugh_Janus For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (07-01-2020), Placid (06-29-2020), RBP (06-29-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 1,888 Posts
    I'm not a fan of it either. It's none of my employers business what I do when I'm not at work, but, such is the modern corporate environment.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KevinD For This Useful Post:

Placid (06-29-2020), RBP (06-29-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Man, if my personal life was monitored when I was young single and making bank... yeek.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (07-01-2020), KevinD (06-29-2020), Placid (06-29-2020), PorkChopSandwiches (06-30-2020)

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    exactly RBP

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Janus View Post
    that^

anyone i work with asks me to add them on socials gets "i'm not on any social media"
    My fb is limited to family and a few "real life" friends.
    Last edited by Placid; 07-01-2020 at 07:06 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    I don't have a FB page, so I don't have to put up with any of this horseshit. Although I've gotta say, these tech companies not upholding and defending the principles of free speech and free thought are alarming. It's time to cut them down.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Free speech rights don't reach everywhere that fb, Twitter and like do.