Thread: John Wayne Airport on Chopping Block Due to Actor's Extreme Racism

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

White Guilt John Wayne Airport on Chopping Block Due to Actor's Extreme Racism

By the TMZ Staff

It's about time, but there's finally a serious effort to change the name of John Wayne Airport in Orange County because the actor was famously racist and homophobic.

The Orange County Democratic Party passed a resolution, calling out Wayne's "racist and bigoted statements" and demanding the O.C. Board of Supervisors rename the airport Orange County Airport.

It's pretty amazing folks have tolerated the name this long. Back in 1971, Wayne told Playboy ... "I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don't believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people."

And, there was more ... "I don't feel guilty about the fact that 5 or 10 generations ago these people were slaves."

And, then the actor set his sights on Native Americans ... "I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them ... There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves."

And, Wayne went after gays, using a homophobic slur to refer to the 2 main characters in "Midnight Cowboy."

The airport was named after John Wayne in 1979 ... AFTER the Playboy interview.

Wayne, probably the most famous cowboy actor ever, died in 1979.

No word on whether the Board of Supervisors will pull the plug on the name.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (06-27-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (06-27-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Cancel culture has no expiration date or statute of limitations

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Cancel culture has no expiration date or statute of limitations
    And fixes nothing, serving only to feed the angry hoard more fuel.

Shelter Dweller In Training Placid's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    And fixes nothing, serving only to feed the angry hoard more fuel.
    "I don't feel guilty about the fact that 5 or 10 generations ago these people were slaves."
    Let's be honest, why should he feel any guilt, he had nothing to do with it.

"I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them ... There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves."
    This is a quote he should be sorry for (underlined).... that does show a supremicist point of view.

Can anyone advise of a famous figure from the past that did not reflect the views of the times in which they lived? Yes their attitudes are not acceptable by today's standards as probably our attitudes may well be looked at differently in 50 - 100 years time.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Placid View Post
    Let's be honest, why should he feel any guilt, he had nothing to do with it.

This is a quote he should be sorry for (underlined).... that does show a supremicist point of view.

Can anyone advise of a famous figure from the past that did not reflect the views of the times in which they lived? Yes their attitudes are not acceptable by today's standards as probably our attitudes may well be looked at differently in 50 - 100 years time.
    I have to agree with you here. History should be viewed through a historical lens. That's what makes history fascinating. What was it like to live at that time? How did people think? What was the context of things that seems odd to us today?

Chinese history, for example, is fascinating. But you'll never understand it if you try to view it from a modern western view of social structures.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I have to agree with you here. History should be viewed through a historical lens. That's what makes history fascinating. What was it like to live at that time? How did people think? What was the context of things that seems odd to us today?

Chinese history, for example, is fascinating. But you'll never understand it if you try to view it from a modern western view of social structures.

Very well put RBP..... I am fascinated by the history of many places but would not necessarily agree with them but again that could based on today's standards.

I have read many books on English history, European, Chinese, Australian and some American. None of the past is to be proud of if we apply our current morals as no country has an unblemished history.

This video was sent to me today......

We will very soon have to change the names of half the world....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Placid For This Useful Post:

RBP (06-29-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Update John Wayne’s son responds to resolution calling for John Wayne Airport to be renamed

By Mariah Haas, Stephanie Nolasco | Fox News

John Wayne’s son is speaking out after California Democrats in Orange County recently demanded that the county’s John Wayne Airport be renamed and all likenesses of Wayne be removed from the airport, over “racist and bigoted statements” made by the American icon decades ago.

The resolution, which passed on Friday, is asking the county's board of supervisors to restore the name to Orange County Airport.

In a statement to Fox News on Monday, Ethan Wayne said: "Let me make one thing clear -- John Wayne was not a racist. I know that term is casually tossed around these days, but I take it very seriously. I also understand how we got to this point.

"There is no question that the words spoken by John Wayne in an interview 50 years ago have caused pain and anger," Ethan continued, referencing the late actor’s 1971 interview with Playboy. "They pained him as well, as he realized his true feelings were wrongly conveyed."

In the interview at the time, Wayne is quoted saying, “I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don’t believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people.” He also said he felt no remorse for the subjugation of Native Americans and called movies such as “Easy Rider” and “Midnight Cowboy” perverted.

Ethan, who is Wayne's youngest son and president of John Wayne Enterprises, went on to say in his statement on Monday: "The truth is, as we have seen in papers from his archives, he did not support 'white supremacy' in any way and believed that responsible people should gain power without the use of violence.

"Those who knew him, knew he judged everyone as an individual and believed everyone deserved an equal opportunity," Ethan added. "He called out bigotry when he saw it. He hired and worked with people of all races, creeds, and sexual orientations. John Wayne stood for the very best for all of us -- a society that doesn’t discriminate against anyone seeking the American dream."

Ethan said that it "would be an injustice to judge him based on a single interview, as opposed to the full picture of who he was."

"The current focus on social justice is absolutely valid and necessary. But attempts by some to use it for political advantage distract from real opportunities for reform," he said.

The 58-year-old also explained what his father would have done if he was still alive today.

"One thing we know – if John Wayne were here today, he would be in the forefront demanding fairness and justice for all people," Ethan said. "He would have pulled those officers off of George Floyd, because that was the right thing to do. He would stand for everyone’s right to protest and work toward change."

Wayne passed away at age 72 from cancer in 1979.

"Since his death more than 40 years ago, his legacy continues through the John Wayne Cancer Foundation, which has helped provide courage, strength and grit to the fight against cancer, and through his extensive film library. My father believed that we can learn from yesterday, but not by erasing the past. His name, no matter where it is, will always embody these values, and our family knows the positive impact that he made on the world will never be diminished," Ethan concluded his statement.

The push to oust Wayne, who was a longtime county resident, from the airport's name has a lengthy history. The airport, which is in the heart of Orange County, dates back decades and county officials voted to change the name to remember Wayne when he died.

Deanne Thompson, an airport spokeswoman, has previously said the county has no plans to change the name or remove a statue of Wayne from the airport, though the issue comes up periodically, including last year.

However, the current push comes as thousands of Americans have taken to the streets to protest police brutality against black people and systemic racism in the wake of George Floyd's death.

In many places, communities have moved to take down statues of former slaveholders -- or topple them -- and remove the Confederate emblem from imagery including Mississippi's state flag, as well as rename buildings and institutions that are named after people deemed to have held racist views or committed racist acts.

The Democratic Party of Orange County said in a statement that it agrees with the move to remove Wayne's name from the airport. The statement said, in part, that "Orange County is now a diverse region far different from the time when John Wayne was chosen as namesake for the airport."

Fox News' Adam Shaw and The Associated Press contributed to this report

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Placid (07-01-2020)

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    The horror

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    All of this BS gives me an idea for a new thread.... ????