Thread: Chicago Police Will Deploy 1,200 Extra Officers To Control Violence Over July 4th Weekend

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

War Chicago Police Will Deploy 1,200 Extra Officers To Control Violence Over July 4th Weekend

By Emily Zanotti - The Daily Wire

Chicago’s police chief announced late Monday that the city will deploy 1,200 additional police officers to “hot zones” experiencing an increase in violence, in hopes of containing a wave of shootings that has left dozens dead — including at least 10 children — and hundreds wounded.

Chicago Police Supt. David Brown announced that officers will work additional shifts from Thursday until Sunday and focus on controlling violence on the city’s south and west sides over the holiday weekend. The department will also be working proactively to control crowds gathering in violent areas before shooting breaks out.

“We’ll be deployed throughout our hotspots, we’ll be working with city services, we’re engaging our violence interrupters, and so it’s a full-court press,” Brown said. “Our endgame is arrests for the precursors to violence, so every day we’re going to be clearing corners.”

Brown blamed the city’s spike in violence on “open-air drug markets” and gangs taking advantage of ongoing anti-racism protests to increase activity, recruiting younger members, and increasing street-level drug operations.

“It’s an evil methodology. It’s why they’re on the corners because it protects the masterminds,” Brown said. “They are there because there’s no opportunity in their neighborhood. They are there because of the failures, and many other social service opportunities are just not available to them, but that’s why they’re there; to feed their families. It’s a bad choice.”

The increase in police presence will require officers to work overtime hours, Brown said. It’s something that the city has avoided over the last several weekends after forcing cops to work overtime to handle protests and rioting in the wake of George Floyd’s death on Memorial Day.

Chicago, though, has experienced a shocking increase in gun violence since the city lifted its coronavirus-related lockdown. Beginning in May, when the city set a record for the most people shot in a single weekend since 2016, hundreds of individuals have been shot and dozens have died. Over the course of the last week, six children have been shot and two killed, including a 20-month-old boy and a 10-year-old girl.

The week before, a 3-year-old boy was shot and killed.

Last weekend alone, Chicago’s Fox affiliate reports, 65 people were shot and 18 people were killed. Overall, since January of 2020, 300 people have been killed by gun violence in the city — a grim milestone that, in 2019, took until August to reach.

Chicago’s mayor Lori Lightfoot addressed the violence in a press conference Monday afternoon.

“The last two Mondays, I’ve woken up with an incredible sense of dread, incredible feeling of despair, because of the weekend violence,” she said. “This can’t be who we are, as a city.”

So far, Lightfoot has resisted President Donald Trump’s offers to allow Federal agencies to assist in Chicago’s violence control, but that resistance seems to be thawing.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    Chicago sounds like a freaking hell hole. Anything good about it? Seriously... Why live there?

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    My brother lives about 50 miles south east of Chicago in northern Indiana. Personally I would hate to deal with that traffic on a daily basis. They look at arriving at point B from point A in time it takes to drive instead of miles apart. I tend to gauge by how many beers it takes for the trip.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffin For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (07-01-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Plus the minor detail that you might get shot at any time

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I have all of my dad's guns in my safe. I've asked my brother numerous times if he wants to take a few home since they are as much his as they are mine.
    I told him there is no way I could live that close to Chicago and not have any home protection ( or anywhere for that matter ).
    Foolish liberal that he is he declines.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffin For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (07-02-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I would be afraid to have a gun ....just as likely to shoot the wrong person or myself

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    That's what education and training are for.
    Believe it or not I don't carry. Several years ago my wife said she was considering a concealed carry license so I bought her a pistol and signed her up for classes. I quit teaching her since that's why I put her in training and wanted all her instruction to come from them to avoid any conflicting technique.
    My dad started teaching me when I was 7 years old,still have the single shot .22 he taught us on. Been shooting ever since.
    He was military police in the Air Force, captain of the rifle/pistol team at McChord AFB. At nationals, the team brought home several first place and dad had a couple individual wins. During summer break at 14, the team used me to call time during practice at Ft. Lewis. That was when I fell in love with the M16. I got to check out my own weapons from the armory.

Anyway, my wife asked me if I was going to get my carry license with her. I told her as long as I can get to my long guns we'll be fine.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffin For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (07-02-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    "I said I never had much use for one. I never said I didn't know how to use it".

Matt Quigley on handguns

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I did some target shooing with my uncle once. .22 from memory.

Dad had a shotty for rabbits on our farm (for eating), but very stingy about teaching us boys.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Chicago is awesome. Like any large metro, you have to know where you are and where not to go. Same with LA or NYC. The violence is concentrated in particular areas of the south and west sides.

https://heyjackass.com/

Edit: Notice the 3 black stars. Police involved. #BLM
    Last edited by RBP; 07-02-2020 at 03:10 AM.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The safe parts of Chicago are in light blue?