Thread: 9-year-old boy stops driveway basketball game to hide from passing police car in Connecticut

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

The Race Card 9-year-old boy stops driveway basketball game to hide from passing police car in Connecticut

By Kemberly Richardson - ABC 7 Eyewitness News

TRUMBULL, Connecticut (WABC) -- A 9-year-old boy who was playing basketball in his driveway in Connecticut when he hid from a passing police car has gone viral after his father shared video on social media.

Stacey Pierre-Louis posted the footage on Instagram, asking, "Why does he feel like he has to hide when he isn't doing anything wrong?"

His son Eliah was a kid simply being a kid on a warm summer day in Trumbull, but then the family's home security system caught a heartbreaking image -- the soon to be fifth grader reacting as a police car passes.

"When I got home, I asked him why he did what he did," Pierre-Louis said. "And then he goes on to tell me, 'Because they killed George Floyd.' That leveled me. What do you say to that?"

The camera shows Eliah briefly hiding behind an SUV, barley moving an inch, until the police car passes. It's only then that he goes back to playing ball.

Pierre-Louis was at work watching the system remotely and got a notification there was motion in the garage, but he never imaged he'd see this.

A post shared by on

"You feel a range of emotion," he said. "Shock, even a sense of hopelessness, because I wasn't there to make him feel better."

The married father of two waited a few days before posting the video on social media, and millions have since viewed the clip -- including NBA star Lebron James, who said it broke his heart before writing a letter to the family.

"Ultimately, I'm grateful this happened because it sets up an environment where you can have some uncomfortable but very necessary conversations with not just our kid but everyone," Pierre-Louis said.

He says that since he posted the video, he's received overwhelmingly positive comments and feedback. Shortly after it happened, a police officer in their neighborhood stopped by to visit Eliah.

"We had a conversation," he said. "The goal was just to be honest, with discretion, because you want them to remain innocent still."

Pierre-Louis says he hopes the roughly 30 second piece of video ends up on the right side of change.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Gee, I wonder where his kid learned this from?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (07-02-2020), RBP (07-02-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    Here's an idea... Instead of teaching your children to fear the police, teach them to be law abiding citizens.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Griffin For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (07-01-2020), Pony (07-01-2020), RBP (07-02-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Here's an idea... Instead of teaching your children to fear the police, teach them to be law abiding citizens.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    I always freeze get a bit tense when I'm driving and see the police around. Reassured NOT

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,131 Times in 1,886 Posts
    I dont. What I do hate is when they get right on my ass and follow me for awhile. I've been known to slow way, way down, just so they'll pull me over, then find out why they were following me.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    I dont. What I do hate is when they get right on my ass and follow me for awhile. I've been known to slow way, way down, just so they'll pull me over, then find out why they were following me.
    I meant involuntarily, I get a bit tense and more alert. Don't you feel a bit nervous/uncomfortable or something when this happens?

Maybe the cop car isn't particularly close - It's just that because it's a cop car that you notice?

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,131 Times in 1,886 Posts
    Ah, in that case, no, not at all. Perhaps it's because I worked with the military version of law enforcement, perhaps its te years of working alongside of cops when I was a firefighter. But no, I dont get nervous around them.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinD For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (07-02-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Ah, sounds like you are "conditioned"

I can't relax until they are out of sight.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    kind of like standing in line with a tranny,eh?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffin For This Useful Post:

RBP (07-02-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    kind of like standing in line with a tranny,eh?
    Especially in Thailand. They always pick on me... ME?!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

RBP (07-02-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    That's the absolute worst. I don't mind having a cop behind me, I may be a little more conscious of my speed knowing he's back there, but otherwise it doesn't bother me. Unless they are riding my ass. I have no idea why the fuck they feel the need to do that other than they want you to maybe panic and do something so they can pull you over? But it's stupid and annoying.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

KevinD (07-02-2020), lost in melb. (07-02-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    I don't get tense when cops are around. I guess it's because my mother and her uncle worked in law enforcement and I grew up with cops and state and federal agents around. I also know that if I get pulled over that it's nothing personal, it's their job, and I know the rules of decorum when being stopped or questioned.

This is specific to Georgia, but it's sound advice where ever you are in the United States:

https://www.georgialegalaid.org/reso...ce-1?ref=myr0k

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.