Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CU-Boulder: 'Black Lives Matter' values are a 'non-negotiable condition' of enrollment

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,095 Times in 59,906 Posts

Woke CU-Boulder: 'Black Lives Matter' values are a 'non-negotiable condition' of enrollment

Chandler Glander, Colorado Campus Correspondent - Campus Reform

In a recent memo sent by University of Colorado-Boulder officials to all students and employees, the university dictated which opinions of the recent waves of Black Lives Matter protests will be accepted by the school.

Since the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis on May 25, protests and riots have swept the country. Led by the Black Lives Matter movement, these protests have taken control of the attention of nearly everyone in the country, including institutions of higher education.

On June 5, 2020, CU Boulder sent a memo to its students and faculty providing a statement on the recent uprisings.

The announcement, co-written by Vice Chancellor for Diversity, Equity, and Community Engagement, Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Akirah Bradley, and Associate Vice Chancellor the Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance and Title IX Coordinator Valerie Simons, described a supporting opinion of Black Lives Matter as a “non-negotiable condition of enrollment and employment.”

This statement would seem to contradict the university’s previous statements on the constitutional right to freedom of speech. A statement from the Chancellor of CU Boulder, Phil DiStefano, explained the value of free speech on campus.

“The fundamental role of a university is to be a place where community members hear from a variety of speakers that may inform or oppose their positions,” he explains. The quote from DeStefano appears on a page on CU-Boulder’s website dedicated to free speech on campus, including a short history of free speech at the university.

The university recently released other statements related to Black Lives Matter. In a followup to the June 5 statement, the chancellor spoke on the issue again. “In response to incidents of racist and discriminatory speech in our campus community, I want to be clear—racist and discriminatory speech runs counter to our values and is not welcome at CU Boulder.”

DeStefano then speaks about the First Amendment. He continues, “While as a public institution we must acknowledge each person’s First Amendment right to free speech, we strongly encourage anyone who doesn’t want to or believes they cannot live our values of respecting the rights of others and accepting our differences to reconsider their ability to be a productive member of our community.”

The same message went on to detail “immediate actions for change” to “begin the sustained transformation of the CU Boulder experience of our Black students, faculty, and staff,” including tasking faculty “with developing a CU 101 anti-racism module for first-year students that explores the toxicity of racism in U.S. history, U.S. life and at CU Boulder.”

CU-Boulder spokeswoman Deborah Mendez-Wilson told Campus Reform, "We value and support the principles of academic freedom and free expression, which are central to our academic mission. Upholding these principles is not mutually exclusive from the idea that we have a responsibility, as an academic community, to embrace, acknowledge and promote equal access and inclusion to all who come to our campus to pursue their academic, research and career goals."

"At the same time, to be in alignment with our values as a university and to comply with federal and state laws and university policies, we will not condone discriminatory or harassing behavior toward individuals, and welcome people who don't agree with those values to reconsider whether they want to be part of our community," Mendez-Wilson added.

Foundation for Individual Rights in Education President and CEO Greg Lukianoff characterized it to Campus Reform as "one of starkest of attempts to imply that ideological conformity is a prerequisite to being part of the university community."

"University presidents and chancellors often take great advantage of their bully pulpit to condemn behavior they deem inappropriate, but they should be careful lest they create a pall of orthodoxy over the classroom, the research, and the institution itself. In order to function as both a 'marketplace of ideas' and the 'laboratory in the looking glass,' an effective institution of research and higher learning needs to always take seriously the possibility it might be wrong, test its assumptions, and not accept any dogmas," Lukianoff continued.

"Many campuses across the country appear to be going too far," he added.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (07-01-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Wow. Although I shouldn't be shocked.

Comply with the thought police or get the fuck out? As official policy of a government institution?

That's chilling.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (07-01-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Wow. Although I shouldn't be shocked.

Comply with the thought police or get the fuck out? As official policy of a government institution?

That's chilling.
    Yeah, I can't see this standing up in court since they are a public institution. I doubt anyone will press the case though.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (07-01-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Yeah, I can't see this standing up in court since they are a public institution. I doubt anyone will press the case though.
    Which makes it even more chilling. That should be completely outrageous to every citizen.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (07-01-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Welcome to the New World Order.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I don't think third world countries are this stupid. Only the bored woke west.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Muddy (07-01-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    I literally cant even

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

RBP (07-01-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,557 Times in 5,209 Posts
    The same message went on to detail “immediate actions for change” to “begin the sustained transformation of the CU Boulder experience of our Black students, faculty, and staff,” including tasking faculty “with developing a CU 101 anti-racism module for first-year students that explores the toxicity of racism in U.S. history, U.S. life and at CU Boulder.”

I see no problem here. There has clearly been racism at the University and they're not putting up with it anymore. Zero tolerance or get your education elsewhere

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,023 Times in 3,854 Posts
    The problem is they have bought into Robin DiAngelo' idea that all white people are racist and need to be cleansed. This whole BLM bullshit has become a religion and they will either convert the entire population or have you cancelled.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffin For This Useful Post:

RBP (07-02-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,557 Times in 5,209 Posts
    To be honest, I probably wouldn't be comfortable on the campus. nevertheless I support them. Contradictory I know...

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    To be honest, I probably wouldn't be comfortable on the campus. nevertheless I support them. Contradictory I know...
    Wait. You accept the premise without question? Why? Because they have deemed it so? With no facts? No definition of racism? Really? This is exactly the problem. And it's nothing new.

In 1987, I was asked by the resident assistant to talk to a black resident on my dorm floor because he was disruptive, including shooting bottle rockets under other resident's doors. I sat down with him and explained the problem. He replied "you're just saying this because I'm black". I responded, "no, I am saying this because you're an asshole".

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Griffin (07-02-2020), Teh One Who Knocks (07-02-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    The problem is they have bought into Robin DiAngelo' idea that all white people are racist and need to be cleansed. This whole BLM bullshit has become a religion and they will either convert the entire population or have you cancelled.
    This has been reported here ad nauseum... article after article after article... and yet it never fails to get traction. Until it doesn't and nothing happens. Why? Because there's nothing to address as long as they make the same 1960's argument.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (07-02-2020)

Shelter Dweller In Training Placid's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    The phrase "White Privilege" is very soon to be consigned to the past..... We wil have "Black Privilege" as the PC Police become a majority and shut down the whites.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Wait. You accept the premise without question? Why? Because they have deemed it so? With no facts? No definition of racism? Really? This is exactly the problem. And it's nothing new.

In 1987, I was asked by the resident assistant to talk to a black resident on my dorm floor because he was disruptive, including shooting bottle rockets under other resident's doors. I sat down with him and explained the problem. He replied "you're just saying this because I'm black". I responded, "no, I am saying this because you're an asshole".
    What makes this even worse is, this is a MAJOR university, this is the University of Colorado, not some fringe tiny university like SW Missouri Southern State A&M College for the Feeble Minded. I looked all over the 4 major local news sites here and guess how many stories I found reporting this? Go ahead, guess. I'll give you three guesses and the first two don't count.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (07-05-2020)