Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: CU-Boulder: 'Black Lives Matter' values are a 'non-negotiable condition' of enrollment

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,095 Times in 59,906 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Placid View Post
    The phrase "White Privilege" is very soon to be consigned to the past..... We wil have "Black Privilege" as the PC Police become a majority and shut down the whites.
    The blacks and other minorities will NEVER be happy and never say they are in a position of privilege, even if they have gone so far as to enslave Whitey and run the world. You need to remember, the oppressed can NEVER be the oppressor.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Muddy (07-06-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,558 Times in 5,209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RBP View Post
    Wait. You accept the premise without question? Why? Because they have deemed it so? With no facts? No definition of racism? Really? This is exactly the problem. And it's nothing new.

In 1987, I was asked by the resident assistant to talk to a black resident on my dorm floor because he was disruptive, including shooting bottle rockets under other resident's doors. I sat down with him and explained the problem. He replied "you're just saying this because I'm black". I responded, "no, I am saying this because you're an asshole".
    Sorry mate, I'm not getting replies in the New Posts. Have to manually search for updates ..

I completely believe the anecdote. Your a decent guy. The thing is 'not knowing the facts works both ways. I'm more or less trust the institutions judgment ( since they only know) I imagine the policy may have a small effect in that it will probably put off closet racists. Myself I would have no trouble avowing BLM (whilst privately defining what I think the movement should be in my head)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,095 Times in 59,906 Posts

CU Boulder investigates more racist social media posts from students

By Matt Mauro - FOX 31 Denver

BOULDER, Colo. (KDVR) — The University of Colorado Boulder Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance is investigating more than 50 race-based incidents in the last five weeks.

On Thursday, social media pictures surfaced of a young man using the N-word and a word that begins with “F” that disparages the LGBTQ community. The post appears to be from a CU Boulder student, when he was younger. He did not respond to messages asking about the pictures.

The university’s Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance is investigating it and many more complaints. In fact, in the last five weeks the OIEC has received complaints about 57 race-based incidents. Many are social media posts from the past that are surfacing now.

“It’s disturbing to see our young people still engaging in these overt acts of racism,” said Dr. Apryl Alexander, an associate professor of psychology at the University of Denver.

“It’s a really tricky First Amendment issue,” Alexander said. “The First Amendment does protect our right to free speech, but the conversation that’s happening is…there could still be consequences for that free speech.”

Earlier this month, the University of Denver rescinded the admission of a student after it became aware of a racist post from the student. Colorado State University did the same. The University of Florida, Marquette University and others have also recently taken the same actions.

But other universities are treating the posts differently.

Missouri State University recently said it would use a student’s racist post as an educational opportunity.

“Universities are trying to keep their environments safe and that’s why some are rescinding admissions,” Alexander said. “But universities are talking about how to implement some of this training for new students who are coming in.”

CU Boulder has not decided how and if it will discipline the students for the posts that have been recently reported.

A page on its website about racist posts reads, “CU Boulder takes seriously all allegations of racial hostility.” It goes on to say, “Racist comments on social media must form a pattern of targeted behavior against an individual based on their protected class and be so severe and/or pervasive as to constitute race-based harassment, that could ultimately result in discipline. As a public institution, the university cannot punish people for speech that is within the boundaries of free speech. Freedom of speech must be balanced with the goal of ensuring equal access to an inclusive educational and professional environment.”

CU Boulder has a web page that addresses frequently asked questions about racist student posts.

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    What makes this even worse is, this is a MAJOR university, this is the University of Colorado, not some fringe tiny university like SW Missouri Southern State A&M College for the Feeble Minded. I looked all over the 4 major local news sites here and guess how many stories I found reporting this? Go ahead, guess. I'll give you three guesses and the first two don't count.
    I'm going with ZERO.
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,558 Times in 5,209 Posts