Thread: ‘Black Panther’ Star Chadwick Boseman Dies of Cancer at 43

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts

RIP ‘Black Panther’ Star Chadwick Boseman Dies of Cancer at 43

Chadwick Boseman, the actor who found fame as the star of the groundbreaking film “Black Panther” and who also portrayed pioneering Black figures such as Jackie Robinson, James Brown and Thurgood Marshall, died on Friday. He was 43.

A statement posted on Mr. Boseman’s Instagram account said the actor learned in 2016 that he had Stage 3 colon cancer, which had progressed to Stage 4. It said he died in his home, with his wife and family by his side.

“A true fighter, Chadwick persevered through it all, and brought you many of the films you have come to love so much,” the statement said. “From ‘Marshall’ to ‘Da 5 Bloods,’ August Wilson’s ‘Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom’ and several more, all were filmed during and between countless surgeries and chemotherapy.”

News of Mr. Boseman’s death elicited shock and grief among many prominent figures in the arts and civic life. Martin Luther King III, a human-rights activist and the eldest son of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., said that the actor had “brought history to life on the silver screen” in his portrayals of Black leaders.

Oprah Winfrey wrote on Twitter that Mr. Boseman was “a gentle gifted SOUL.”

“Showing us all that Greatness in between surgeries and chemo,” she wrote. “The courage, the strength, the Power it takes to do that. This is what Dignity looks like.”

Mr. Boseman portrayed the first Black player in Major League Baseball, Jackie Robinson, in “42,” in 2013; the sizzling soul singer James Brown in “Get On Up,” in 2014; and the first Black Supreme Court justice, Thurgood Marshall, in “Marshall,” in 2017.

But he was best known for his role as T’Challa, or the Black Panther, king of the fictional African nation of Wakanda in the 2018 Marvel superhero movie “Black Panther.”

The film was a cultural touchstone — the first major superhero movie with an African protagonist; the first to star a majority Black cast; and in Ryan Coogler, the first to employ a Black writer and director.

The film represented a moment of hope, pride and empowerment for African-American moviegoers, many of whom planned special outings to see it and came dressed in African-inspired clothing and accessories.

Wakanda was powered by a mystery metal, vibranium, and had evaded the historical traumas endured by much of the rest of Africa, freeing it from the ravages of colonialism and postcolonialism. The phrase “Wakanda forever” became a hashtag and rallying cry.

The statement on Mr. Boseman’s Instagram account said it was “the honor of his career to bring King T’Challa to life in ‘Black Panther.’”

Brian Helgeland, the writer and director of “42,” which gave Mr. Boseman his breakout role, said that Mr. Boseman reminded him of sturdy, self-assured icons of 1970s virility, like Gene Hackman and Clint Eastwood.

“It’s the way he carries himself, his stillness — you just have that feeling that you’re around a strong person,” Mr. Helgeland said. “There’s a scene in the movie where Robinson’s teammate, Pee Wee Reese, puts his arm around him as a kind of show of solidarity. But Chad flips it on its head. He plays it like, ‘I’m doing fine, I’m tough as nails, but go ahead and put your arm around me if it makes you feel better.’ I think that’s who Chad is as a person.”

Mr. Boseman was born and raised in Anderson, S.C., the youngest of three boys. His mother, Carolyn, was a nurse and his father, Leroy, worked for an agricultural conglomerate and had a side business as an upholsterer.

“I saw him work a lot of third shifts, a lot of night shifts,” Mr. Boseman told The New York Times last year. “Whenever I work a particularly hard week, I think of him.”

His closest role models were his two brothers: Derrick, the eldest, a preacher in Tennessee; and Kevin, a dancer who has performed with the Martha Graham and Alvin Ailey troupes and toured with the stage adaptation of “The Lion King.”

In high school, Mr. Boseman was a serious basketball player but turned to storytelling after a friend and teammate was shot and killed. Mr. Boseman processed his emotions by writing what he eventually realized was a play. When it was time to consider colleges, he chose an arts program at Howard University, with a dream of becoming a director.

At Howard, he took an acting class with the Tony Award-winning actress and director Phylicia Rashad, who helped him get into an elite theater program at the University of Oxford, an adventure he later learned had been financed by a friend of hers: Denzel Washington.

To earn money, Mr. Boseman taught acting to students at the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture in Harlem.

After college, he moved to the Bedford-Stuyvesant neighborhood of Brooklyn, where he spent his days in coffee shops — playing chess and writing plays to direct, some of which were influenced by hip-hop and pan-African theology.

He landed one-off television roles in “Law & Order,” “CSI: NY” and “Cold Case,” and eventually booked a recurring role in the 2007-9 ABC Family series “Lincoln Heights.”

The show filmed in Los Angeles and afforded Boseman his first real taste of Hollywood.

“Before that, I had just wanted to be an artist in New York,” Mr. Boseman said. “I didn’t understand that coming to L.A. and trying to be a film actor was a completely different thing.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/cel...b0Q?li=BBnbfcL

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,558 Times in 5,209 Posts
    Rough. Not a nice way to go

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (08-30-2020)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,095 Times in 59,906 Posts
    I'm sure in some way it was caused by a white person.

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    When will the cops stop!

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,558 Times in 5,209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    I'm sure in some way it was caused by a white person.

Quote Originally Posted by FBD View Post
    When will the cops stop!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lost in melb. For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (08-30-2020), Griffin (08-30-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Seemed like a good man, what a shame to die so young

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (08-30-2020), Griffin (08-30-2020)

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    really, how does colon cancer actually kill someone?

I mean like my gramp sorta died from prostate cancer, but he only got bad when it spread all over the place and was in his liver and spine, and he actually died from liver failure. (but man I will never forget the red/brown piss bag, that was one way you knew it was real bad)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FBD View Post
    really, how does colon cancer actually kill someone?

I mean like my gramp sorta died from prostate cancer, but he only got bad when it spread all over the place and was in his liver and spine, and he actually died from liver failure. (but man I will never forget the red/brown piss bag, that was one way you knew it was real bad)
    It sneaks up on you. At his age, he probably didn't think to have a colonoscopy. His doctors probably didn't either. They usually don't start checking for that until you hit 50. There is cause for checking earlier if cancer runs rampant in both sides of the family, like it does mine (I've been doing colonoscopies since I was 30, and I quit smoking years ago). I haven't seen anything about cancer running in his family, but given that colorectal cancer seems to appear more frequently among blacks in the US, as well as other forms of cancer, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a family history.

It probably moved really fast after they found it as well. Doctors usually don't expect cancer to move that fast, but sometimes it just develops far faster than anyone would predict. My aunt Michele was diagnosed with a completely manageable lung cancer and they set her up for chemo 6 weeks after the diagnosis. The day she was supposed to start treatment, she died. The cancer had metastasized throughout her body in that 6 weeks and spread to her brain. She woke up blind that day, and when they rushed her to the hospital, they learned how aggressive it really was. It was impossible to tell from her initial diagnosis. Now I know Boseman had been fighting it for 4 years, but no one knows how aggressive it really was. He could have just been getting lucky in delaying the inevitable with his treatments.

In any case, fuck cancer.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

FBD (08-30-2020)