#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

News Trump to block U.S. downloads of TikTok, WeChat on Sunday

By Steve Kovach - CNBC

The Commerce Department announced Friday morning that it would ban U.S. business transactions with Chinese-owned social apps WeChat and TikTok on Sunday.

The announcement comes ahead of an expected statement Friday by President Donald Trump on whether or not the government will approve a deal for Oracle to take a minority stake in TikTok and become a "trusted technology partner" for the company in the U.S.

It's unclear if the Commerce Department's announcement means there's no possibility of a deal going through before the Sunday deadline, and it could be an aggressive move from the Trump Administration to push for its original intention for TikTok to be fully owned by a U.S. company.

"At the President's direction, we have taken significant action to combat China's malicious collection of American citizens' personal data, while promoting our national values, democratic rules-based norms, and aggressive enforcement of U.S. laws and regulations." Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said in a statement Friday.

Friday's announcement from the Commerce Department appears to be enforcing Trump's original executive order from August 6 that gave TikTok 45 days to sell its U.S. business to a U.S. company or face a ban in the U.S. WeChat, which is one of the most popular social messaging apps in the world, is owned by the Chinese company Tencent. TikTok's parent company is the Chinese company ByteDance.

The Commerce Department's statement on Friday said that starting Sept. 20, U.S. companies would be banned from distributing WeChat and TikTok, meaning the two major mobile app stores run by Apple and Google would have to remove the apps from their libraries. The statement also blocks U.S. companies from providing services through WeChat "for the purpose of transferring funds or processing payments within the U.S."

WeChat is a popular marketing and sales tool for U.S. companies primarily in China, but around the world as well. With U.S. social apps like Facebook and Instagram banned in China, WeChat is the primary app people use for social networking and e-commerce. It's also a popular app used by people in the U.S. to communicate with people in China, since U.S. apps are banned in China.

The Commerce Department's announcement also lays out a separate time frame specific to TikTok, which take affect on Nov. 12. The rules that start Nov. 12 include provisions that block U.S. companies from providing internet hosting and services for TikTok. This could be directed at the deal being negotiated between TikTok and Oracle, which would provide cloud services for TikTok if Trump approves, and could give TikTok and Oracle more time to hammer out a deal that Trump will approve.

Representatives for Tencent, TikTok, WeChat, Apple and Google were not immediately available to comment.

This is breaking news. Please check back for updates.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

FBD (09-18-2020), KevinD (09-18-2020)

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    good, the chinese dont need to participate in the election

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    On the one hand, I'm all for hurting China. On the other, the Libertarian in me is screaming foul.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    On the one hand, I'm all for hurting China. On the other, the Libertarian in me is screaming foul.
    The libertarian in you thinks that China should be able to just have its way with the data & videos made by US citizens with their apps? The libertarian in me would have an issue were this an american company, but where this is spywar against globalists...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FBD For This Useful Post:

KevinD (09-18-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FBD View Post
    The libertarian in you thinks that China should be able to just have its way with the data & videos made by US citizens with their apps? The libertarian in me would have an issue were this an american company, but where this is spywar against globalists...
    The Libertarian in me has a problem with the government telling me what I can and can't install on my smartphone. I understand what China does and the danger it poses to the US, but I also understand that when you allow government to do something that they've never done before, it creates a precedent, and future administrations can use that precedent to go further with the action in a manner that goes farther beyond its original intent, which in this case, is to protect our national security and people's personal details from a Communist nation. Future intents may be more sinister.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

FBD (09-18-2020), KevinD (09-18-2020), Muddy (09-18-2020), Teh One Who Knocks (09-18-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    Only American companies and Government are allowed to spy on US citizens.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pony For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (09-21-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    Only American companies and Government are allowed to spy on US citizens.

We can do something against an american company that abuses their ToS, for one of the PRC's cia-go-corporate modeled "corporations"....we have no such recourse...

"Me Chinese, me play joke..."

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Looks like Trump approved a deal so that Oracle and Walmart can buy into Tiktok.
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 09-19-2020 at 11:38 PM.

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    good, the chinese dont need to participate in the election
    Just the Russians

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Looks like Trump approved a deal so that Oracle and Walmart can buy into Tiktok.
    what I want to know, is this going to change the structure of the app, i.e. copies of everything

Quote Originally Posted by Hikari Kisugi View Post
    Just the Russians
    that damned thousand bucks in facebooks ads