Thread: Rising populations of wild hogs worrying experts, many deemed 'super-pigs': report

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Warning Rising populations of wild hogs worrying experts, many deemed 'super-pigs': report

By David Aaro | Fox News

The U.S. wild pig population is soaring and rapidly multiplying, which experts describe as a ticking 'feral swine bomb,' according to a report on Saturday.

There are roughly nine million feral swine running rampant across the U.S. The invasive species already costs the U.S. an estimated $2.5 billion each year in damages and control costs, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). As their numbers continue to rise, the damage will only get worse.

In fact, the wild pig population has expanded from 17 states to at least 39 over the last three decades, The Atlantic reported.

“I’ve heard it referred to as a feral swine bomb,” says Dale Nolte, manager of the National Feral Swine Damage Management Program at the USDA. “They multiply so rapidly. To go from a thousand to two thousand, it’s not a big deal. But if you’ve got a million, it doesn’t take long to get to 4 [million], then 8 million.”

Ryan Brook, a University of Saskatchewan biologist who researches wild pigs says that most of them are a mixture of domestic breeds and European wild boar.

“The problem with the hybrids is you get all of the massive benefits of all of that genetics,” Brook told the paper. “It creates what we’d call super-pigs.”

Like something out of the 2017 film Okja, which involved a company manufacturing a special kind of “super pig,” he says the actual real-life wild hybrid "super-pigs" are intelligent and have a very good sense of smell. They also gain physical attributes from boars -- like heavy fur -- which increase their ability to survive in the wild.

In addition to boars, the hybrids gain benefits from domestic pigs, which are bred to be fertile year-round and to have large litters -- an average of 10 piglets in each, The Atlantic reported.

Due to their genetics and rapidly spreading population, there are estimated to be more than 1.5 million feral hogs in Texas, according to Texas Parks and Wildlife. Florida has more than 500,000 wild hogs and there are estimated to be between one to two million in the southeastern U.S., the University of Florida reported. California also has a large population.

“Pig populations are completely out of control,” Brook said of their expansion in North America, according to the paper. “The efforts to deal with them are about one percent of what’s currently needed.”

The feral swine cause major damage to property, crops, livestock, native species and ecosystems, and cultural and historic resources, the USDA's website says. They also threaten the health of "people, wildlife, pets, and other domestic animals."

"As feral swine populations continue to expand across the country, these damages, costs, and risks will only keep rising," the USDA added.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    I don't mean to be sarcastic here but isn't that finally an appropriate use for those long guns

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts
    I've seen them around down here. I've called the county and they said the hogs are open season. The only problem is I wouldn't be able to move them if I took them out on my property.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    I've seen them around down here. I've called the county and they said the hogs are open season. The only problem is I wouldn't be able to move them if I took them out on my property.
    That's a really good point. I've actually been boar shooting on my grandfather and they weigh a ton. You basically have to cut up the meat on the spot

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    That's a really good point. I've actually been boar shooting on my grandfather and they weigh a ton. You basically have to cut up the meat on the spot
    Yeah, and butchers around here don't make house calls. You have to bring the kill to them.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (09-21-2020)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (09-21-2020)

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,822 Times in 3,934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Yeah, and butchers around here don't make house calls. You have to bring the kill to them.
    You need some friends that are willing to drag a body around for you