Thread: NASA tracking two asteroids set to collide with Earth’s orbit just hours apart

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,096 Times in 59,906 Posts

Warning NASA tracking two asteroids set to collide with Earth’s orbit just hours apart

By Emma Parker - The Daily Star

NASA is tracking two 100m asteroids set to collide with Earth’s orbit within hours of each other, the Centre for Near Earth Objects has confirmed.

The space administration regularly monitors asteroids flying through space and tracks any comet or asteroid that hurtles at 1.3 astronomical units - the average distance between Earth and the Sun.

Both asteroids are classed as Apollo asteroids, the name given to space rocks which cross the orbit of the Earth.

The first asteroid to cross Earth's path is asteroid 2020 RO, which is estimated to be between 59m and 130m wide.

NASA said the rock will pass on September 25 2020 at 00:10 EST at a speed of 11.84km per second, which is equivalent to 26,000mph.

Although it is classed as a near Earth object, and will come into contact with Earth's orbit, the asteroid is expected to pass safely.

The second space rock, labelled 2020 SM, is expected to rocket past Earth on the same date at 2020 R0 - September 25 2020.

It will zoom through Earth's orbit at a speed of 18.43 km per second, which is equivalent to over 41,000mph.

The asteroid is slightly smaller than 2020 RO and is estimated to be between 45m and 100m wide.

NASA's team of astronomers are currently tracking around 2,000 asteroids, comets and other objects that could fly close to Earth.

According to NASA, a NEO is also a term used to describe "comets and asteroids that have been nudged by the gravitational attraction of nearby planets into orbits that allow them to enter the Earth’s neighbourhood."

Earth hasn't seen an asteroid of apocalyptic scale since the space rock that wiped out the dinosaurs 66million years ago.

Most asteroids will not come into contact with Earth's atmosphere, but in rare instances the giant space rocks can cause problems for weather systems.

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post:

Griffin (09-22-2020)

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    Sorry democrats, not even asteroids will save you

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FBD View Post
    Sorry democrats, not even asteroids will save you
    This train of thought is 24/7 for you isn't it mate

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (09-22-2020), Muddy (09-22-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,561 Times in 5,212 Posts
    They don't actually say where along the orbit it is, but small detail - good article

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    They don't actually say where along the orbit it is, but small detail - good article
    Probably on the other side of the sun.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (09-22-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    This train of thought is 24/7 for you isn't it mate
    Maybe when I'm paul revere'ing the internet, but outside of that, I dont think of this shit at all, ironically enough

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,561 Times in 5,212 Posts
    Maybe when I'm paul revere'ing the internet, but outside of that, I dont think of this shit at all, ironically enough

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I really dont, I get done with work and go forage for food, go hang out with my buddies and only one of them is on my level, so the rare occurrence he shows up we have some chuckles about thingsagoinon...but outside of that most of my friends really only care about the second amendment and not a whole heck of a lot else

I stay off the computer in the evenings, fuck that shit. but yeah I'm good enough at compartmentalizing

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FBD For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (09-23-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    I really dont, I get done with work and go forage for food, go hang out with my buddies and only one of them is on my level, so the rare occurrence he shows up we have some chuckles about thingsagoinon...but outside of that most of my friends really only care about the second amendment and not a whole heck of a lot else

I stay off the computer in the evenings, fuck that shit. but yeah I'm good enough at compartmentalizing
    I think that's super healthy. I used to be the guy who'd get into it at hangs with friends. Now I just tune out when politics comes up. You get in a couple arguments with friends or family that make you feel ill the next day wondering why you bothered (at least that's how my brain works) and it teaches you a lot about what's really important around the people you love eh.

Even here I feel like it's a perfectly great place to debate, but I don't have the energy for it anymore. I'd rather just catch up with everyone and share stupid memes than stew about what someone will reply next.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

FBD (09-23-2020), Griffin (09-23-2020), lost in melb. (09-23-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    I think that's super healthy. I used to be the guy who'd get into it at hangs with friends. Now I just tune out when politics comes up. You get in a couple arguments with friends or family that make you feel ill the next day wondering why you bothered (at least that's how my brain works) and it teaches you a lot about what's really important around the people you love eh.

Even here I feel like it's a perfectly great place to debate, but I don't have the energy for it anymore. I'd rather just catch up with everyone and share stupid memes than stew about what someone will reply next.
    yeah, the limbic response is definitely one to avoid! I dont get all worked up over this stuff....its just that sooooo much is going on, I try to find what's going on and bring up the lesser mentioned things because as we all know, the news is very selective in what it wishes to present to people (and that's being very generous with my words, heh)

but yeah I did realize that at some point, its definitely not good to get worked up and its important to be able to detach enough and have a laugh about stuff....so you can always expect me to be posting with a smile, even if its sometimes a devious one

17. The Following User Says Thank You to FBD For This Useful Post:

Godfather (09-24-2020)