By Tom Fish - The Express

UFO hunters have excitedly shared a strange new conspiracy theory that an ancient form of alien art has been found on a NASA photo of red planet Mars.

Some alien life conspiracy theorists believe the newly-released images shot by NASA’s Curiosity Rover actually show alien artefacts on the surface. The so-called “sculpture” is bulbous in shape and closely resembles a rock.

But undeterred by the implausibility of the claims, self-styled ET expert Scott Waring believes this really is evidence alien life once existed on the surface of Mars.

He took to his UFO Sightings Daily blog to speculate about the providence of the Martian object.

He said: “I found a most unusual sculpture ever on Mars today.

“The sculpture has once side of it visible revealing an upper arm and lower leg sticking out of the rocks.

“A face is poking out from under a hoody-like hat.

“To say this is strange is an understatement. But its a cultural thing.

“I mean, the aliens who made it have a very unique view of beauty and art.

“I am 100 percent confident this is an alien sculpture. However, lingering in my head I'm wondering two things.

“What was the artist trying to accomplish here? And how closely does this sculpture mimic the beings who created it?”

But despite using sophisticated photographic software to make the anomaly look even more alien, it is quite clearly simply an unusually-shaped rock.

Scientists have so far found no other evidence of intelligent life in the Universe.

The overwhelming majority of UFO sightings can, in fact, be explained through the phenomenon called pareidolia.

This is a form of apophenia capable of describing the brain's tendency to see recognisable shapes and patterns where they do not exist.

This can result in people seeing faces in clouds or UFOs in otherwise unexciting objects.

US-based space agency NASA said in a statement: "Pareidolia is the psychological phenomenon where people see recognisable shapes in clouds, rock formations, or otherwise unrelated objects or data.

"There are many examples of this phenomenon on Earth and in space."

@Goofy