Thread: ’I reached over and got my shotgun, and I cocked it’: Grandma fends off would-be burglar

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Hero ’I reached over and got my shotgun, and I cocked it’: Grandma fends off would-be burglar

By: Jessica Oh, KIRO 7 News

SPANAWAY, Wash. — A 78-year-old woman from Spanaway held an intruder at gunpoint after finding the man breaking into her home, according to the Pierce County Sheriff’s Office.

The woman, who goes by Sandy, knew something was wrong when her dog, Booboo, started barking Sunday night.

“I opened my door, and standing right 2, 3 feet in front of me was a man. We looked at each other for a few seconds, and he turned and started to leave. And I said, ‘Oh no, you don’t. You stay right there!’” she said.

Content Continues Below
    Sandy said her neighborhood has been plagued by crime recently, resulting in her car being prowled twice. When she came face to face with the intruder, she wasn’t about to let him run away.

“I reached over and got my shotgun. And I cocked it, and I told him to stay right there,” she said. “Told him to go sit on the steps. I followed him out, and I just stood here with the shotgun waiting for the police to come.”

It was Sandy’s first time using the shotgun, which she got years ago to protect her family as a single mother. She was initially “scared to death” while holding the intruder at gunpoint.

“But then I was totally calm, really and truly. I thought, ‘This is amazing!’ I said, ‘You know, I’ve got grandchildren your age!’”

The grandmother asked why he tried to break in and was alarmed to hear some of his answers. The Pierce County Sheriff’s Office reported the man told deputies, “He was looking for his wife and talked about how God had sent him.”

Deputies arrested the suspect and said it’s all thanks to Sandy’s quick thinking and bold actions.

The grandmother said she’s grateful no one, including the intruder, got hurt.

“After he was so meek and mild and sat down like I told him to do? It was empowering. I felt like at least I was in charge. I wasn’t afraid,” she said.

Deputies said the suspect did not show any signs of impairment and did not seem distressed. He was released after the homeowner chose not to press charges.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

KevinD (09-24-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    He was released after the homeowner chose not to press charges.
    I was all into it until I read this line.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

FBD (09-24-2020), Muddy (09-24-2020), Teh One Who Knocks (09-24-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    I was all into it until I read this line.
    Exactly.. had it not been for BooBoo and her gun there is no telling what would have happened.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muddy For This Useful Post:

FBD (09-24-2020), KevinD (09-24-2020)

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts