Thread: Kurt Russell says celebrities shouldn't voice political opinions: 'Step away from saying anything'

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Hero Kurt Russell says celebrities shouldn't voice political opinions: 'Step away from saying anything'

By Nate Day | Fox News

Kurt Russell's opinion on politics varies greatly from many other Hollywood stars.

It's very common these days for celebrities to weigh in on politics and share their views, however, the "Overboard" star, 69, thinks that voicing such opinions is detrimental to actors, feeling that they are similar to "court jesters."

"I’ve always been someone who felt we are court jesters. That’s what we do," Russell told the New York Times. "As far as I’m concerned, you should step away from saying anything so that you can still be seen by the audience in any character."

He continued: "There’s no reason entertainers can’t learn just as much as anybody else about a subject, whatever it is. But I think that what’s sad about it is that they lose their status as a court jester. And I’m a court jester. That’s what I was born to do."

The actor's longtime partner and "Christmas Chronicles 2" co-star Goldie Hawn chimed in, saying that her beau isn't "always funny."

"A court jester isn’t always funny," explained Russell. "A court jester is the only one who can walk into the castle and put the king down as long as he doesn’t hit too close to home. I think that’s been a big, important part of all cultures throughout history, and I’d like to see it stay in ours."

Hawn, 74, responded: "But we did have a president who was an actor, Ronald Reagan."

Russell then doubled down on the idea that "actors can learn as much as anybody else can."

While the actor may feel that stars should stay out of politics, his Oscar-winning partner shared her thoughts, stating that "it's a personal choice."

"Well, I’m just saying Reagan definitely was a well-known actor," Hawn said. "I think it’s a personal choice whether you want to get into that.

"The one thing I don’t agree with is that just because we have a platform we always have to use it," added Hawn. "That is our choice."

Meanwhile, Hawn's children, Kate and Oliver Hudson, have spoken out politically before.

On Nov. 7, when most news outlets projected Joe Biden as the winner of the election, Kate, 41, shared a celebratory post on Instagram, while Oliver, 44, encouraged fans to vote prior to the 2020 presidential election.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (11-19-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts
    He must be a Republican

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    He must be a Republican
    Probably not. His adopted children are hardcore progressives and they haven't disowned him. They reportedly adore him.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (11-19-2020)

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    When asked why he isn't political:

You don't have to be a republican to know you shouldn't run your mouth about things you don't know anything about or that could alienate people.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (11-19-2020), FBD (11-19-2020), Griffin (11-19-2020), KevinD (11-19-2020), lost in melb. (11-19-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,316 Times in 8,172 Posts
    Kurt has great hair..

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts