Thread: Walmart Plus drops $35 free shipping minimum to better compete with Amazon Prime

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,101 Times in 59,908 Posts

Economics Walmart Plus drops $35 free shipping minimum to better compete with Amazon Prime

By Nick Statt - The Verge

Walmart is removing the $35 free shipping minimum on its annual subscription service, Walmart Plus, the company announced on Wednesday. The new policy will take effect on Friday, December 4th, and it means all Walmart Plus members will receive free next-day and two-day shipping on items ordered from Walmart’s website, regardless of the size of their order.

The change is a clear attempt to better compete with Amazon Prime, the subscription service on which Walmart Plus is based. One of the biggest benefits of Prime since its introduction more than 15 years ago has been free (and often two-day and now one-day) shipping on all eligible orders.

That made Walmart’s $35 order minimum for its Prime competitor a significant setback for the big-box retailer when it launched its service back in September, and it’s a telling sign that Walmart is removing the restriction so early in the lifespan of its service.

Amazon and Walmart have long had a fierce rivalry in the retail space, Amazon having dominated US e-commerce and now moving onward to physical retail and groceries while Walmart has attempted the reverse. Both companies are now the US’s largest employers, and both want to be the one place you buy almost everything.

At the intersection of these colossal corporations’ core businesses is ever-faster and free delivery. The more reliable, fast, and low-cost your ability to deliver products to a customer’s front door — especially amid the coronavirus pandemic — the more likely that customer will order from you again in the future.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (12-06-2020)

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    hm....last I looked they had a good price on a deadlift bar...

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    I always double check amazon prices on Walmart.ca because I don't think Walmart prices fluctuate the same weird ways. Sometimes you look at a regular household product on amazon and the price looks about right, but then you check a bricks & mortar store and realize it's a few bucks overpriced. If they bring this up to Canada I might start ordering online from Walmart.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,893 Times in 11,968 Posts
    I knew that minimum charge wouldn't last. That's why most people signed up for Prime anyway, for the unlimited free shipping. All the other stuff, like Prime Video and the other junk, were just add-ons that came later.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

FBD (12-05-2020), lost in melb. (12-06-2020), PorkChopSandwiches (12-07-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    I always double check amazon prices on Walmart.ca because I don't think Walmart prices fluctuate the same weird ways. Sometimes you look at a regular household product on amazon and the price looks about right, but then you check a bricks & mortar store and realize it's a few bucks overpriced. If they bring this up to Canada I might start ordering online from Walmart.
    Normally I dont care about paying extra if I'm supporting a local business, so long as its not approaching price rape

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FBD View Post
    Normally I dont care about paying extra if I'm supporting a local business, so long as its not approaching price rape
    Same here. It's paying extra on amazon that I really look to avoid, I already feel guilty for how much I spend there.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

FBD (12-06-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Same here. It's paying extra on amazon that I really look to avoid, I already feel guilty for how much I spend there.
    hehe, I was mad that I had to spend $30 there for a vintage tube because for some fkn crazy reason I couldnt find another elsewhere