Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Thread: Stock Talk

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    So much for the bloodbath. All my ETFS are higher than or hovering around what I paid for them on Friday. I guess I should be looking at individual stocks.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks

Screw the two banks, there's money to be made.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    This collapse of Silicon Bank is really concerning. 16th largest bank in the US, 2nd largest bank to fail in US history. Everyone is about to become an expert on interest rate risk real quick The fallout here could be quite something, some major companies had reserves with them. Roku had $500 mil (26% of their reserves), Circle is in the same position which is going to hammer the crypto market. Lots of tech startups are with them so I dono if they'll be able to pay staff and rents - I've seen some really dense mofos online going "haha get a real job with your crappy startups", but they have no idea how important innovation and ease of starting a business is for the economy at large.

We'll see but it's stressing me out for sure. I think this is where you actually need regulators. Signal to the market that depositors will be okay, move it under a big 4 bank, do something or Monday will be a bloodbath. It probably will be anyways.
    If they didnt allow them to to loan money they dont have, then they may not get into these kind of problems. But, the government allows it and then they insure it with tax payer dollars

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Shit is rigged

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    It absolutely is

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    If they didnt allow them to to loan money they dont have, then they may not get into these kind of problems. But, the government allows it and then they insure it with tax payer dollars
    Shit is rigged
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    It absolutely is
    Actually, I heard the bank was investing in government bonds which are normally a safe and guaranteed ROI, but because of inflation and the ever increasing interest rate hikes from the Fed, SVB's bond holding became worth less and less because the newer bonds coming out were getting better returns, so they needed to sell off their holding at a loss.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

Godfather (03-15-2023), lost in melb. (03-17-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Kevin O'Leary was just on with Neil Cavuto on Fox Business and O'Leary said it was due to the stupid loans they made, and they shouldn't have been bailed out at all. The banks should've been allowed to fail.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Some people are blaming Crypto. A lot of people are blaming Biden's far left economic policies.

And of course, the left is blaming Trump.
    Last edited by DemonGeminiX; 03-14-2023 at 08:19 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Actually, I heard the bank was investing in government bonds which are normally a safe and guaranteed ROI, but because of inflation and the ever increasing interest rate hikes from the Fed, SVB's bond holding became worth less and less because the newer bonds coming out were getting better returns, so they needed to sell off their holding at a loss.
    I think that's a really good description of what happened, I was more joking about the market in general being rigged

I'm less familiar with how banking analyzes risk but just finished a course on insurance risk and minimum capital tests (MCT or Solvency II requirements it's sometimes called) so we stay solvent.

Basically if equity investments impact your capital requirements at a 1.35 capital requirement ratio, real estate investments are less risky at a 1.25 ratio, and government bonds are about 1:1 or maybe 1:15. Sitting on cash actually hurts you ratios so you need to invest or loan most of it (I think it's fair to say that's how banks work in a capitalist economy and 'create' money but that's probably an oversimplification). Doesn't mean you can't make bad rookie mistakes and put short term deposits into long term options and thus created a cash flow crisis like SVB did. Banks have failed for this before, placing way too much faith in bonds and stable interest rates. I believe a few failed in the 80's the same way. It's not always about being low risk, you need to be diversified too.

Optically I can see why the US government will take heat over a 'bailout.' The thing is, from my understanding this is not a corporate bail out of SVB and their management, but they are backstopping private individuals and depositors at SVB. I think I can agree or at least understand that type of backstop/bailout or whatever you want to call it. And if I banked there myself I definitely would Makes me want to open an account with a second bank frankly.
    Last edited by Godfather; 03-15-2023 at 03:13 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

Teh One Who Knocks (03-15-2023)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I think that's a really good description of what happened, I was more joking about the market in general being rigged

I'm less familiar with how banking analyzes risk but just finished a course on insurance risk and minimum capital tests (MCT or Solvency II requirements it's sometimes called) so we stay solvent.

Basically if equity investments impact your capital requirements at a 1.35 capital requirement ratio, real estate investments are less risky at a 1.25 ratio, and government bonds are about 1:1 or maybe 1:15. Sitting on cash actually hurts you ratios so you need to invest or loan most of it (I think it's fair to say that's how banks work in a capitalist economy and 'create' money but that's probably an oversimplification). Doesn't mean you can't make bad rookie mistakes and put short term deposits into long term options and thus created a cash flow crisis like SVB did. Banks have failed for this before, placing way too much faith in bonds and stable interest rates. I believe a few failed in the 80's the same way. It's not always about being low risk, you need to be diversified too.

Optically I can see why the US government will take heat over a 'bailout.' The thing is, from my understanding this is not a corporate bail out of SVB and their management, but they are backstopping private individuals and depositors at SVB. I think I can agree or at least understand that type of backstop/bailout or whatever you want to call it. And if I banked there myself I definitely would Makes me want to open an account with a second bank frankly.
    I don't know if they exist in Canada like they do in the States, but for primary banking, I far prefer using a credit union over a bank. They are 'owned' by the depositors and almost always you will get better interest rates from a credit union than from a traditional bank. I have my primary checking and savings at one credit union and my truck is financed through another one. Plus I have a couple of other savings account to squirrel away cash for a rainy day at a couple of other credit unions.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I don't know if they exist in Canada like they do in the States, but for primary banking, I far prefer using a credit union over a bank. They are 'owned' by the depositors and almost always you will get better interest rates from a credit union than from a traditional bank. I have my primary checking and savings at one credit union and my truck is financed through another one. Plus I have a couple of other savings account to squirrel away cash for a rainy day at a couple of other credit unions.
    I have also used a Credit Union for a long time, so much better then banks

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Ya not a bad idea. Up here our 'big 4' banks are so huge and very resilient, probably the strongest industry in the country so I've always used a big-4 because it's convenient and they do have near infinite services to offer... but I may open an account at a local credit union just to satisfy the tin-foil hat guy inside me

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I haven't been with a bank in over 30 years. All of my junk's with a credit union. Checking, savings, credit card.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    What's nice is, it's a lot easier to join a credit union now than it used to be. They used to be really strict on who could join and open an account. But now, they make it pretty easy and you can definitely find multiple ones that you can qualify for membership with.