Thread: When you think you're seeing a doctor but turns out you are not.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts

When you think you're seeing a doctor but turns out you are not.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,891 Times in 11,966 Posts
    Man, they interviewed the wrong AANP representative. She's dumber than shit. The AMA is right.

To be fair, I've seen some NPs and PAs on occasion where it just wasn't possible to see a doctor. I always know exactly what they are. All the PAs I've seen except for one were good and knew exactly what they were doing. The one that didn't, the issue I had had to get corrected by my regular doctor. It wasn't that big a deal, but if I had to take the PA's word as gospel, it would have gotten worse. I don't think I've ever seen an NP that I would've trusted with my worst enemy's life. They just never get shit right. I've seen two NPs that I ended up in the ER because they were wrong. I know my mother sees an NP and trusts her implicitly. But that NP has been around for decades... she knows her shit, and she works at a doctor's practice and has answer to him. From what I understand, the doctor's a hardass.

As far as the ER goes, I've never seen an NP or PA in my local ER the few times I've been there. If I ever caught wind of such a thing, I would scream to high heaven and it would end quickly. They know me over there, I'm on a first name basis with several of the ER doctors and nurses. I went to high school with a few of them.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

Godfather (12-20-2020)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Ya I've talked to a few doctors about NP's and they don't necessarily have anything negative to say about them, they're super valuable care providers and alleviate workload on physicians in hospitals, but their diagnostic skills and knowledge of medicine isn't the same, and so the idea of them working independently sounds pretty scary. I was surprised to hear that's even a thing.

Interesting how hard the AANP fought to bury this news piece... to be fair it's a one sided story of NP fuckups, doctors make mistakes too. But to see that NP's can go to school online and then work independently with no clinical hours required, unlike medical residents who have for 2-6 year residencies with high levels of supervision and additional licensing exams, after 4 years of med school (2 of which are also in the clinical setting during clerkship) is not a good look.
    Last edited by Godfather; 12-20-2020 at 10:29 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (12-21-2020), FBD (12-21-2020)