Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grammys reporter Serene Branson hay have suffered neurological attack on air, experts say

Shelter Dweller
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks

WTF Grammys reporter Serene Branson hay have suffered neurological attack on air, experts say

Grammys reporter Serene Branson hay have suffered neurological attack on air, experts say

Posted By Meaghan Murphy On February 14, 2011

*The clean version was removed, this is a low quality clip.*

An entertainment reporter at the local CBS station in Los Angeles alarmed viewers when she flubbed her words and started speaking gibberish during a live broadcast from the Staples Center after the Grammy awards Sunday night.

KCBS-TV’s Serene Branson was reporting on “highlights and backstage coverage” from the award ceremony when her delivery devolved into a series of nonsensical words.

Many viewers were concerned that she had possibly suffered a stroke during the live broadcast.

British newspaper The Telegraph reported that Branson had been hospitalized following her broadcast, noting that “strokes can cause speech problems in different ways, either by interfering with the brain's ability to recognize and construct words.”

But other reports said Branson was examined by paramedics outside Staples Center after she was cut from the airwaves. Edward Lawrence, a KCBS reporter, was concerned enough to tweet last night that "station is looking into if there was a problem."

Monday morning, KCBS released a statement saying: "Her vital signs were normal. She was not hospitalized. As a precautionary measure, a colleague gave her a ride home, and she says she is feeling fine this morning."

FOX411 talked to two MDs about the disturbing telecast.

"That is one scary episode. Dysphasia or confused speech can occur from any number of causes. Certainly one has to look at strokes, vascular spasms and TIA’s (Transient Ischemic Attacks) as the most serious causes," Dr. Peter Geldner, founder of The Geldner Center in Chicago, IL, who does not treat Branson, told FOX411. "This can also be due to temporal lobe seizures, heart rhythm disturbances and toxins (including medication and alcohol) among others."

Geldner said it was important Branson be looked over thoroughly.

"It is imperative to seek professional attention after such an episode. The work-up must continue until the most serious causes have been ruled-out," he said.

Dr. Sreekant Cherukuri, another Chicago-based MD, who does not treat Branson, concurred that she "could have suffered a Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA) which is a temporary interruption in blood flow to a particular area of the brain. In this case, the affected area could have caused Broca's or Wernicke's Aphasia, which result in speaking words that have no meaning."

Cherukuri said that "once the TIA is over (a few minutes to two hours), the patient may be completely normal with no symptoms."

Geldner for one was impressed that Branson was able to perform at such a high professional level under trying circumstances.

"I have great compassion for Ms. Branson. It was obvious that she heard what she was saying and realized that there was a problem," he told FOX411. "She tried to move the story along despite confusion and professional embarrassment. She deserves our admiration and best wishes."

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    wild!
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

The Monarch's Love Kitten Dr. Girlfriend's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    That's so sad.

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    Jesus.... for a second I thought she was just panicking but it was obviously much more than that

He who laughs, lasts. Noilly Pratt's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 705 Posts
    Very scary. I read a book not long ago -- wish I could remember the name of it -- and a Doctor who was a writer suffered a stroke and she remembered in detail her faculties failing her, of speaking like this and having jumbled words come out and how she was herself trapped in this body that wouldn't do her bidding.

That would scare the crap out of me. I had laryngitis for 2 months and couldn't speak and freaked out a little -- "suppose it doesn't fully come back" etc.

Signature created way-back-when by Goofy

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    A friend I used to live with suffered a brain aneurysm.He was sitting with another buddy of mine one day and started speaking gibberish... " my barn hearts, my barn hearts".

Turns out he was trying to say - "my brain hurts".....thank God he got through it ok and is fine today.

*shout out for Mark J., way to be tough dude*

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 6,846 Posts
    Wow, thats pretty freaky

Newly Seeking Shelter ItsBlondie's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks

I watch her all the time

she's a local reporter so I was pretty horrified when I saw this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_823706.html

stroke at 31...yikes.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    Yea, I saw that. I haven't seen anything that said it was definitely a stroke, just that she got checked in an ambulance and released. She definitely should have gone straight to the hospital.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,849 Times in 8,184 Posts
    I just heard they ruled out stroke, drug reaction and attributed it to nerves

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,742 Times in 4,207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal-9000 View Post
    I just heard they ruled out stroke, drug reaction and attributed it to nerves
    Really? I would have thought it was some neurological issue. She's a seasoned reporter I wouldn't have thought nerves would be an issue.

*is proud of myself for spelling neurological without having to use the spellcheck*

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Attributing it to nerves doesn't really surprise me... I mean, it wasn't that off the wall that it couldn't have just been a bunch of nervous mumbling People jumble up a string of words every once in a while right! Throw in a little confusion from all that hair spray and it's not too shocking

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    No way that was just nerves.

It was a signal to the alien ships to attack!!!!
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

He who laughs, lasts. Noilly Pratt's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 705 Posts
    That could be anything from a blood clot in the brain to a mini-stroke to a whole host of other things.

I'd be making myself comfortable in a hospital bed, insisting on every procedure they have! Replay it with the sound off...she's panicking inside because she's thinking one thing and another thing is coming out.

Signature created way-back-when by Goofy

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Or it was nerves...