Thread: House Democrats pass extensive voting and campaign finance reform bill, H.R. 1

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Stupid House Democrats pass extensive voting and campaign finance reform bill, H.R. 1

By Marisa Schultz | Fox News

The House of Representatives Wednesday passed Democrats' signature voting and campaign finance reform legislation that aims to expand access to the polls, fight partisan gerrymandering and set up new public funding for congressional races.

The For the People Act of 2021, known as H.R. 1, passed by a vote of 220 to 210. No Republicans joined with Democrats in approving the sweeping voter rights reform that now heads to the Senate.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif, said the legislation is needed to combat voter suppression efforts in states, to crackdown on corruption and to diminish the influence of big donors in politics.

"This is called the For The People bill," Pelosi said Wednesday at an H.R. 1 event prior to its passage. "And in doing so, we combat big, dark, special-interest money in politics and amplify the voice of the American people."

A major pillar of the legislation is setting up a new public financing system for congressional and presidential elections to incentivize small-dollar donations. The legislation would establish a 6:1 match for each grassroots contribution to a candidate up to $200.

For example, a $200 donation to a House candidate would garner a $1,200 match in public funds for a total contribution of $1,400.

The public match program would be funded by a new 4.75% surcharge on criminal and civil penalties and settlements that corporations pay to the U.S. government. The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office estimated this week the new revenue stream would generate about $3.2 billion over 10 years.

Republicans blasted the public financing provision as a way to line the campaign coffers of members of Congress.

"This bill isn't for the people, it's for the politicians," said Rep. Rodney Davis, R-Ill.

The voting reform legislation, numbered H.R. 1 to signify it is the top priority of House Democrats, would also enact automatic voter registration, restore voting rights to felons after they have completed their sentences and expand early voting access and absentee voting.

It also prohibits voter roll purges and partisan gerrymandering of congressional districts, imposes new campaign finance rules, and requires presidential nominees to release 10 years of tax returns.

H.R. 1 would also take aim at big-dollar donors and dark money in politics by requiring additional disclosure of campaign donors and disclaimers on political advertising.

Republicans, however, said voters want more integrity and trust in the election system and that requires stricter reforms like voter ID.

"This bill makes elections less trustworthy, not more," said Rep. Dan Crenshaw, R-Texas. "Trust is everything."

The legislation now heads to the Senate where it has a tough road for passage as the chamber is split 50-50 between Democrats and Republicans. The legislation would require 60 votes to advance and need GOP support.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

Obvious Unsupervised voting: Democratic expansion plan

Washington Examiner Staff

Since the day after the election, Nov. 4, 2020, it has become a mantra for Democrats, constantly repeated, not to be questioned, that the election is over.

On Nov. 13, Speaker Nancy Pelosi said, "The election is over. ... The Republicans, shamefully, pretending otherwise, are doing serious damage to our American democracy."

Lawyers who represented former President Donald Trump’s cause of a stolen election lost every court challenge. Some have been sued and ridiculed, while hundreds of Trump's followers are under arrest for the storming of the Capitol.

This week, the House takes up H.R. 1, the For the People Act of 2021, what many Republicans say would relegate their party to permanent minority status.

It would nationalize many of the eleventh-hour changes to election law that key battleground states made to accommodate voting during the pandemic, expanding early voting, absentee voting, and mail-in voting. It would also relax voter ID requirements.

Attorney Hans von Spakovsky of the Heritage Foundation said, “H.R. 1 bans all state voter ID laws at the very same time that requires all states to put in same-day voter registration. You understand what that means? That means that I could walk into any polling place on Election Day, say that my name is not Hans von Spakovsky but Tom Swift and I live at 100 Main Street, they have to register me and immediately let me vote, and they can't ask me for an ID to verify who I am, that I actually live in that area. I could then leave that polling place and go to the next polling place down the street, immediately register under the name Tom Smith, vote, and keep doing it all day.”

In 2005, the Carter Commission Report of Federal Election Reform warned of mail-In voting, saying, “It raises concerns about privacy, as citizens voting at home may come under pressure to vote for certain candidates, and it increases the risk of fraud.”

That risk is greater, the report said, “where there is some history of troubled elections, or where the safeguards for ballot integrity are weaker.”

In the last election, more than 100 million people cast their ballots by mail or early in-person, and there was almost double the number of mail-in votes than in 2016.

“The whole problem with absentee ballots is this: They're the only kind of ballots that are voted outside the supervision of election officials and outside the observation of poll watchers, and that makes them the most vulnerable to being altered, changed, forged, and it makes voters vulnerable in their homes to pressure and coercion, to vote a particular way,” said von Spakovsky.

Efforts are underway by state legislatures in key battleground states including Arizona, Georgia, and Pennsylvania to roll back those changes in state election law that allowed early voting and widespread mail-in voting in the 2020 election.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,892 Times in 11,967 Posts
    Fuck that shit.

Warning: The posts of this forum member may contain trigger language which may be considered offensive to some.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DemonGeminiX For This Useful Post:

FBD (03-04-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGeminiX View Post
    Fuck that shit.

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    I wish I was surprised

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

FBD (03-04-2021)