#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Gheye Straight WNBA star: Lesbian culture broke my spirit

By Mark W. Sanchez - The New York Post

Candice Wiggins was a college star at Stanford, the third pick of the 2008 WNBA draft and a 2011 champion. And at the mountaintop of her basketball career, her sexuality marred the moment.

There is a “very, very harmful” culture running throughout the WNBA, she says, which saw her get bullied during her eight-year career because she is heterosexual.

Wiggins, who last played in the league in 2015, said she retired prematurely to leave a league that she estimated — wildly — is 98 percent lesbian, and which is played in such isolation that it weighs on the people on the court.

“It wasn’t like my dreams came true in the WNBA. It was quite the opposite,” Wiggins said in an extensive San Diego Tribune story published Monday. “… I wanted to play two more seasons of WNBA, but the experience didn’t lend itself to my mental state. It was a depressing state in the WNBA. It’s not watched. Our value is diminished. It can be quite hard. I didn’t like the culture inside the WNBA, and without revealing too much, it was toxic for me. … My spirit was being broken.”

The 30-year-old couldn’t take it anymore — being harassed for being straight and fighting for attention in a league that is starved.

“Me being heterosexual and straight, and being vocal in my identity as a straight woman was huge,” Wiggins said. “I would say 98 percent of the women in the WNBA are gay women. It was a conformist type of place. There was a whole different set of rules they [the other players] could apply.”

Wiggins, who played for the Lynx, Shock, Sparks and Liberty, claimed the issues revolve around the lack of attention the league has garnered as the WNBA struggles with ticket sales and TV ratings. For the 2016 season, the WNBA said its average attendance was 7,655 — its highest since 2011.

“There was a lot of jealousy and competition, and we’re all fighting for crumbs,” Wiggins said. “The way I looked, the way I played – those things contributed to the tension.

“People were deliberately trying to hurt me all of the time. I had never been called the B-word so many times in my life than I was in my rookie season. I’d never been thrown to the ground so much. The message was: ‘We want you to know we don’t like you.’ “

@RBP

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

RBP (03-04-2021)

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,822 Times in 3,934 Posts
    tl;dr - bitches are mean; leasbians especially so?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FBD For This Useful Post:

RBP (03-04-2021)

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    Also, nobody watches..... sooooooo

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkChopSandwiches View Post
    Also, nobody watches..... sooooooo
    A buddy pointed out to me quite awhile ago, if you watch the way TV broadcasts a men's game versus a women's game, look at the angle of the camera view. The angle during a men's telecast is much lower, and you can see the entire lower deck stands and some of the upper deck at times letting you see how big the crowd is. But during a women's game, the camera angle is much steeper pointing down towards the court. You can barely see half the rows in the lower deck only. They don't want you to see just how small the crowd at the game is.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

FBD (03-04-2021), PorkChopSandwiches (03-04-2021), RBP (03-04-2021)

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,822 Times in 3,934 Posts
    for some reason, a lot of people give a shit about college women's bball, but could give two shits about the pros

but maybe that's because I'm in CT and we have Gino here collecting 9 million bucks to coach

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FBD For This Useful Post:

RBP (03-04-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,731 Times in 15,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FBD View Post
    tl;dr - bitches are mean; leasbians especially so?
    The DV rates in the gay community are far above the hetero community. The highest is in lesbian couples, especially sexual violence. But but but... toxic masculinity...
    I wanted to be a Monk, but I never got the chants.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RBP For This Useful Post:

FBD (03-05-2021), PeyPeyRyRy (03-05-2021), Teh One Who Knocks (03-05-2021)