#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Notice Netflix Tests Cracking Down on Password Sharing

James Hibberd - The Hollywood Reporter

Netflix is testing a new feature that could signal the start of an effort to crack down on password sharing.

Spotted by GammaWire, some viewers attempting to use somebody else's account are now being stopped by a screen that says, "If you don't live with the owner of this account, you need your own account to keep watching."

Netflix confirmed the new feature, which is getting a limited rollout at this time. "This test is designed to help ensure that people using Netflix accounts are authorized to do so," a Netflix spokesperson said.

In order to continue watching, the viewer is given the option of either verifying their identity (with a texted or emailed code to the account's owner), or opting to "verify later," which gives the viewer an unspecified additional amount of time to continue watching and later confirm they are a valid account user.

A source familiar with the tests said the extent of the rollout varies from country to country, but noted that one reason for the feature is a desire to help protect subscribers from security concerns that can arise from unauthorized use of their account.

The move potentially represents the beginning of a strategy shift by Netflix, which has historically not attempted to police password sharing. "Password sharing is something you have to learn to live with," Netflix CEO Reed Hastings declared in 2016, "because there’s so much legitimate password sharing — like you sharing with your spouse, with your kids … so there’s no bright line, and we’re doing fine as is."

But THR senior editor Eriq Gardner predicted in 2019 that piracy crackdowns could be the next front in the streaming wars after the Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment announced a working group to reduce unauthorized access to content.

Describing the organization as "an antipiracy spinoff of the MPAA," Gardner noted, "The economics of streaming nearly demand it. Platforms are spending billions of dollars annually on both original content and rights to old shows. To become profitable, media companies will need to grow paid subscribers rapidly. AT&T boldly predicted 50 million subs for HBO Max by 2024. As part of that push, it may prove irresistible to target the more than one-fifth of young adults who, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll, say they borrow passwords from people who do not live with them."

Speaking of HBO Max, the WarnerMedia streaming service likewise previously suggested it would not limit password sharing in the near term. The service currently sets a limit of five profiles per account, but it's unclear if users are cut off if they exceed that number.

"I don’t think we’re going to get to a punitive environment, lawsuits being filed against folks," WarnerMedia CEO John Stankey said in 2019. "But I do believe the technology’s starting to get better to start paying attention to extensive abuse — when we see 14 locations logged into HBO on a Sunday night with 16 different streams going, we’re aware of those things. As growth taps out, I think the industry will come up with a method that’s a bit more rigorous."

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,822 Times in 3,934 Posts
    I've had my friend's account for years, and I cant even remember the last time I watched anything on that pos. There were a couple things, then it was like all the rest of this stuff in here is absolutely uninteresting garbage. I hope any money making endeavor that Obama touches dies, its still insane that people actually give globalists money so that they may be propagandized

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts
    Glad they are looking out for our safety. It would be horrible if someone watched something and fucked up your algo

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkChopSandwiches For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (03-17-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    "I don’t think we’re going to get to a punitive environment, lawsuits being filed against folks," WarnerMedia CEO John Stankey said in 2019. "But I do believe the technology’s starting to get better to start paying attention to extensive abuse — when we see 14 locations logged into HBO on a Sunday night with 16 different streams going, we’re aware of those things. As growth taps out, I think the industry will come up with a method that’s a bit more rigorous."
    Public companies doing public company shit to try and boost their bottom line. I get it if they're really talking about 16 accounts, but we'll see how bad this gets.

I give my Crave/HBO and cable passwords to my little bro and other best buddy who both live alone, they wouldn't buy them otherwise so I'm happy to share. I hope that doesn't get cut off but it wouldn't surprise me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (03-17-2021)