Thread: Chrome on Windows 10 will now use a lot less memory, says Google

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts

Fix Chrome on Windows 10 will now use a lot less memory, says Google

Chrome 89 should be noticeably faster on Windows 10 and uses fewer resources on macOS and Android.

Liam Tung
    By Liam Tung | March 15, 2021 -- 12:10 GMT (23:10 AEDT) | Topic: Productivity

Google claims the just-released Chrome version 89 brings "significant memory savings" to Windows 10 users, better memory handling on macOS, and a faster experience on Android.

On Windows 10, Google claims Chrome is achieving up to 22% memory savings in the browser process, 8% in the renderer, and 3% in the GPU thanks to Chrome's memory allocator, PartitionAlloc.

Google also optimized the way Chrome uses and discards memory in the foregrounded tab. This means Chrome can reclaim up to 100MiB per tab by discarding memory from the foreground tab not currently being used. For example, large images that have been scrolled off screen.

SEE: 5G smartphones: A cheat sheet (free PDF) (TechRepublic)

For macOS, Chrome has a smaller memory footprint in background tabs. Google claims it's seeing 8% memory savings on macOS, which can be as large as 1GiB.

Chrome can now also keep a Mac cooler via its tab throttling feature, or JavaScript timing throttling that came with Chrome 87. Tab throttling gives more resources to tabs in use by taking away resources from tabs backgrounded for lengthy periods.

Google says it's seeing up to a 65% improvement on the Apple Energy Impact score in the macOS Activity Monitor for background tabs.

The latest version of Chrome for Android also brings a 5% improvement in memory usage, 7.5% faster startup times, and up to 2% faster page loads. These results depend on the specific Android device.

Additionally, for the latest Android devices running at least Android Q and with at least 8GB of RAM, Chrome is now a 64-bit binary. Chrome on these smartphones should see 8.5% faster page loading and 28% smoother experience when scrolling and with input latency.

Finally, Chrome on Android includes a new feature called Freeze-Dried Tabs, which helps its start up 13% faster. The features saves a light version of tabs that are are similar in size to a screen shot while still allowing scrolling, zooming and tapping on links

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Seeing is believing

I'm loving the new 'tabs group' feature in Chrome Android, though

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    Seeing is believing
    Ya my thoughts exactly.

I use Firefox at home but Chrome at work because my dogshit work HP laptop hates Firefox. This dumpy bloatware for the sound board on the laptop flips out when FF is running. I can kill it in Task Manager but it restarts itself. I found a simple fix online but IT won't just follow the tip I found and carry out my ticket request and I have no admin controls to do it myself Cowards.

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,822 Times in 3,934 Posts
    I dont have much choice over what I use at work (ie/chrome/edge depending on what I'm accessing) but at home I wouldnt be using chrome. presently I use brave and it kinda sucks.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Ya my thoughts exactly.

I use Firefox at home but Chrome at work because my dogshit work HP laptop hates Firefox. This dumpy bloatware for the sound board on the laptop flips out when FF is running. I can kill it in Task Manager but it restarts itself. I found a simple fix online but IT won't just follow the tip I found and carry out my ticket request and I have no admin controls to do it myself Cowards.
    Oh boy, IT at work

When I was working for the schools last year getting the whole online thing happening was a nightmare. Aside from Microsoft word, the rest of the ageing Microsoft suite is just bound to fail at every opportunity, let alone something new like Teams. I will admit though, the IT peeps (all were Indians in Catholic system, lol) were very quick to respond.

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts
    Why would you put chrome on windows? Then you wouldn't be able to see thru them

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    I just gave the new Chrome a whirl. It's pretty quick actually, haven't tested memory usage tho. I want it if they will use the same updated Chromium engine with Edge??

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh One Who Knocks View Post
    Why would you put chrome on windows? Then you wouldn't be able to see thru them
    See through this!