#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,095 Times in 59,906 Posts

Economics McDonald’s to close hundreds of eateries inside Walmart stores

By Lisa Fickenscher | New York Post

This summer, hundreds of McDonald’s eateries located inside Walmart stores across the US are slated to close because of sluggish business — a trend that was accelerated by the pandemic.

The decades-old partnership between the largest restaurant chain and largest retailer in the world has been fraying for years. There were about 1,000 McDonald’s restaurants inside Walmart stores during their heyday, but by 2020 there were half as many McDonald’s stores, Walmart confirmed.

In July, McDonald’s said in its second quarter earnings report that it would be closing 200 restaurants in 2020 and that over half of them were at "lower sales volume" Walmart locations.

At the end of the summer just 150 McDonald’s stores will remain at Walmart, the retailer confirmed.

The accelerated pace of store closures was first reported by the Wall Street Journal.

McDonald’s does a significant amount of business via its drive-thrus — more so since the pandemic began — and Walmart lacks that option, sources pointed out. Margins at McDonald’s Walmart locations have likewise been hit as "customers at times loaded up on refills and condiments," according to the Journal. Walmart also has largely stopped building new stores, instead remodeling them, which has created awkward situations, according to the paper.

"You can’t do a multimillion-dollar remodel in a store and then have a 1980s McDonald’s at the front," one source told the Journal.

Subway eateries are also pulling up stakes in Walmart stores, according to the paper. The franchise is facing its own challenges, as The Post has reported, with stores closing across the country.

Walmart, which has long relied on rent from restaurants and other in-store tenants to pad its bottom line, said its stores will be switching to more grab-and go options. In addition to food, Walmart leases space to banks, hair and nail salons and veterinarian clinicc. In Texas, it has a number of tool-rental stores inside its stores, the company said.

"We have a great opportunity with our leased space business to help our stores become even more convenient and relevant to local communities," the company said in a statement. "We are excited to continue to bring in new businesses that make sense for our customers and their changing needs."

Walmart is testing smoothie vending machines in stores and opening Charleys Philly Steaks locations, which is a 600-store chain, and Walmart is also working with a Sushi concept in its home state of Arkansas and a concept called Ghost Kitchens, which allows customers to order food from other restaurants.

It’s also in discussions with Domino’s to add more locations to its existing 30 eateries inside Walmart locations, the company said. The pizza chain, however, had to convince Walmart that it wouldn’t hurt Walmart’s frozen pizza business, according to The Journal.

McDonald’s declined to comment on the story, pointing to its previous statements about slow business at Walmart locations.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    all of the walmarts by me have subway sandwich options, not mcd's... although i rarely see anyone ordering anything from there

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,095 Times in 59,906 Posts
    There are two Walmarts near me that I go to, depending on what I need to pick up as they both stock different items in the grocery section for some weird reason. One has a Subway and one has a McD's.

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,826 Times in 3,935 Posts
    I think my walmart has some sort of food place, I think the seats are popeye's orange color...but I honestly never looked over there to see what the hell it was, ordering something to eat inside of a walmart has just never, ever crossed my mind

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,255 Times in 16,489 Posts
    Ours have Burger King, the worst fast food out there... with Taco Bell pulling a close 2nd

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,771 Times in 4,010 Posts
    I bet parents everywhere are rejoicing I remember being a kid and always begging for mcdicks when we had to go to walmart. Must've drove my parents nuts, but the answer was always no

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

PorkChopSandwiches (04-13-2021)