Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hank Azaria Apologizes To Every Indian For Voicing Apu: The Character ‘Is Practically A Slur’

#DeSantis2024 Teh One Who Knocks's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,085 Times in 59,902 Posts

Woke Hank Azaria Apologizes To Every Indian For Voicing Apu: The Character ‘Is Practically A Slur’

By Paul Bois - The Daily Wire

Hank Azaria once again apologized for being the man behind “The Simpsons” character Apu, despite spending decades voicing the character.

Speaking on the “Armchair Expert” podcast with host Dax Shepard, Azaria said he finally stepped away from the role after attending several seminars and learning from other people about how the character hurt them.

“I was speaking at my son’s school, I was talking to the Indian kids there because I wanted to get their input,” Azaria said, as reported by The Hollywood Reporter. “A 17-year-old … he’s never even seen The Simpsons but knows what Apu means. It’s practically a slur at this point. All he knows is that is how his people are thought of and represented to many people in this country.”

Azaria told the boy that he apologized and that he promised to convey to Hollywood that how they portray certain people matters in the real world.

“I really do apologize,” Azaria said. “It’s important. I apologize for my part in creating that and participating in that. Part of me feels like I need to go to every single Indian person in this country and personally apologize. And sometimes I do.”

As The Daily Wire reported last year, “The Simpsons” announced that it would no longer allow white actors to voice non-white characters. Azaria said he strongly supports this move.

It should be noted that Apu was never presented as a dumb Indian immigrant who runs the Kwik-E-Mart. In fact, multiple episodes spent time developing his complexity as a character throughout the show’s near three-decade run. Contrary to his perception, he holds a Ph.D. in computer science, graduated from the top of his class at “Caltech” (Calcutta Technical Institute), and only runs the Kwik-E-Mart because of the joy it brings him to spend time with friends and customers.

In recent years, social justice warriors have attacked “The Simpsons” character Apu, alleging he perpetuated Indian stereotypes. Spearheading the attack was documentary filmmaker Hari Kondabolu, who created a full-length film about Apu’s problematic nature. Initially, “The Simpsons” creator Matt Groening dismissed his critics in an episode where the character Lisa told the critics to take their outrage elsewhere; however, as time went on, the show eventually dropped the beloved character months after Hank Azaria issued his first apology.

“I’ve given this a lot of thought, really a lot of thought. And as I say, my eyes have been opened. And I think the most important thing is we have to listen to South Asian people, Indian people in this country when they talk about what they feel and how they think about– about this character, and what their American experience of it has been,” he told Stephen Colbert.

“And as you know, in television terms, listening to voices means inclusion in the writers’ room,” he added. “I really want to see Indian, South Asian writer, writers in the room, not in a token way, but genuinely informing whatever new direction this character may take, including how it is voiced or not voiced. You know, I’m perfectly willing and happy to step aside or help transition it into something new. I really hope that’s what The Simpsons does. And it not only makes sense, but it just feels like the right thing to do to me.”

Shelter Dweller PorkChopSandwiches's Avatar
    vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,254 Times in 16,488 Posts

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,822 Times in 3,934 Posts
    the simpsons and every person involved needs to end

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    quite a change from the 2017 'problem with apu' documentary

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,553 Times in 5,206 Posts

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Not in 2017!

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks

John Cleese Mocks Hank Azaria’s Apology For Playing Apu

By Paul Bois - The Daily Wire

Never one to embrace political correctness or woke culture, “Monty Python” legend John Cleese mocked actor Hank Azaria for apologizing to every Indian American for voicing the beloved character Apu on “The Simpsons.”

In a tweet on Tuesday, Cleese said that he now apologizes for ever having mocked English-speaking people in his past sketches.

“Not wishing to be left behind by Hank Azaria, I would like to apologise on behalf on Monty Python for all the many sketches we did making fun of white English people[.] We’re sorry for any distress we may have caused,” he tweeted.

Speaking on the “Armchair Expert” podcast with host Dax Shepard earlier this week, Azaria said he finally stepped away from the role of Apu after attending several seminars and learning from other people about how the character hurt them.

“I was speaking at my son’s school, I was talking to the Indian kids there because I wanted to get their input,” Azaria said, as reported by The Hollywood Reporter. “A 17-year-old … he’s never even seen The Simpsons but knows what Apu means. It’s practically a slur at this point. All he knows is that is how his people are thought of and represented to many people in this country.”

Azaria told the boy that he apologized and that he promised to convey to Hollywood that how they portray certain people matters in the real world.

“I really do apologize,” Azaria said. “It’s important. I apologize for my part in creating that and participating in that. Part of me feels like I need to go to every single Indian person in this country and personally apologize. And sometimes I do.”

In recent years, some on the Left have attacked “The Simpsons” character Apu, alleging he perpetuated Indian stereotypes. Spearheading the attack was documentary filmmaker Hari Kondabolu, who created a full-length film about Apu’s problematic nature. Initially, “The Simpsons” creator Matt Groening dismissed his critics in an episode where the character Lisa told the critics to take their outrage elsewhere; however, as time went on, the show eventually dropped the beloved character months after Hank Azaria issued his first apology.

John Cleese has been an outward opponent of cancel culture and its attacks against free speech. Speaking with Reuters this past July, Cleese said that cancel culture, often fueled by political correctness, “misunderstands the main purposes of life, which is to have fun.”

“Everything humorous is critical. If you have someone who is perfectly kind and intelligent and flexible and who always behaves appropriately, they’re not funny. Funniness is about people who don’t do that, like Trump,” he said.

Cleese added that political correctness creates a problem for comedians because they “have to set the bar according to what we are told by the most touchy, most emotionally unstable and fragile, and least stoic people in the country.”

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

DemonGeminiX (04-17-2021), lost in melb. (04-15-2021), PorkChopSandwiches (04-15-2021), The Monk (04-17-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    What's the bet in the not-too-distant future some episodes of The Simpsons become unavailable

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,022 Times in 11,474 Posts
    that would be tragic

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost in melb. View Post
    What's the bet in the not-too-distant future some episodes of The Simpsons become unavailable
    At the very minimum, they will undoubtedly carry a "warning" before the episodes saying how horrible and racist the episode is and to watch at your own discretion.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Teh One Who Knocks For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (04-16-2021)

26,000LYR out, paying taxes to pedophiles
    vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,822 Times in 3,934 Posts
    the simpsons as a show got retarded a long time ago and I'm surprised it lasted into the 2000s much less still be going in this day and age. groeining likes his pizza too much and deserves [redacted]

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FBD View Post
    the simpsons as a show got retarded a long time ago and I'm surprised it lasted into the 2000s much less still be going in this day and age. groeining likes his pizza too much and deserves [redacted]
    Someone actually went to a ton of effort to examine the downfall of a once great show into what is now called "Zombie Simpsons" by fans. It's a long watch but very interesting (and a bummer)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godfather For This Useful Post:

FBD (04-18-2021), lost in melb. (04-17-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,815 Times in 6,371 Posts
    Another politically correct idiot.!!

Based on his argument, If an accent is required by a character on any film or TV programme, then an actor whose natural accent fits the bill must be recruited.

No more Scots pretending English accents.... etc...

Peter Sellers Pink Panther movies must be banned as he is not French. Doctor Who (David Tenant) is a Scot feigning an English accent! Ever since the beginning of the film (Talkies) accents have been fabricated.

I forget where the saying came from but:-

"Stop the world, I want to get off!"

18. The Following User Says Thank You to The Monk For This Useful Post:

lost in melb. (04-17-2021)

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Someone actually went to a ton of effort to examine the downfall of a once great show into what is now called "Zombie Simpsons" by fans. It's a long watch but very interesting (and a bummer)

This looks great. Pencilled in to check out.

I've betting it's the lack of political correctness ( in advance)